Author Topic: A good stand for the 7800 and other accessories!  (Read 11561 times)

darklight1138 (OP)

A good stand for the 7800 and other accessories!
« on: January 10, 2014, 08:47:10 am »
I'd like to have a stand to watch movies with as well as so that I can maybe play vertical shooters in portrait mode.

Does anyone have one they'd recommend?

So far, I've been looking at these:

http://dx.com/p/universal-folding-desktop-tripod-stand-for-7-10-tablet-pc-black-260045

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.willgoo.com/silver-stand-for-jxd-s7800b-jxd-s7300-p-323.html?zenid=81dadjg6es9a3priurus3f2771

http://www.willgoo.com/lightweight-metal-multiangle-stand-for-jxd-s7800b-s7300-p-226.html?zenid=81dadjg6es9a3priurus3f2771

Basically I am looking for something sturdy, steady and adjustable. Portability is a plus but not really necessary.

One thing about portrait mode is the power or volume buttons may sit on one of the supports and I'd obviously like to avoid that.

I thought about making one out of coat hangers but I tried it, plus I figured I've spent enough on this thing so an extra $10 or so wouldn't bother me.

Here are some more accessories I am thinking about getting:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027YYMU6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=OENV29W20XFW&coliid=I28KIWCO9HEUEU

I use my USB flash drive a lot (good also for backing up through Titanium Backup) and would like something that holds it upright instead of it dangling to the side.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-970264-0403-X-140-2-0-Speakers/dp/B000IF4788/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389342650&sr=1-5&keywords=logitech+pc+speakers

This seems to be something cool to go along with the stand for watching movies or playing games with an external controller.

I've got a wireless mouse that works great with the device (works well with ScummVM).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301020201690

I got this stylus for $1 from ebay, with free shipping. Haven't gotten it yet but they seem pretty handy. I play a lot of NDS games and for certain ones like Trauma Center and Crossword DS it would make them easier and a little funner to play, IMO.

This is the case I got, thanks to Volcano's recommendation:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141000518274

Maybe this thread could also be for accessories you guys want, have bought or were wondering about.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 01:58:11 am by darklight1138 »
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

Joe Sixpack

Re: A good stand for the 7800
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 09:44:59 am »
Wire stand $2.11 from China
Sturdy, adjustable, rubber coated

Will not work for portrait

Works great for land scape however
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-new-high-quality-Foldable-Tablet-PC-Stand-Holder-for-7-inch-Tablet-PC-GOOD-/301001679546

rudepeople

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:33:16 pm »
Well I'll contribute!

Starting off with a great SD card: A 64 gig Sandisk SDxc... LINK!

Of course it will NOT work out of the box, due to the way it's formatted. the fix is simple enough, you need to format it in fat32 which can NOT be done through windows normally (Microsoft thinks this card is too big for a fat32 partition thus the option is not available by default. only ntfs and extFat). Formatting the card can be accomplished using Fat32format... those needing instructions for this can use the following link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fat32format You linux users are laughing right now (as I am) because you can do this with mkfs.vfat... you know how to mkfs... right?  :P

Next up...

An SD card holder for those of us with multiple swappable cards: LINKEY!

another OTG adapter: right angled adapter! Link

This one is very similar to the one posted previously by darklight1138, but this one is set on a right angle. in the jxd s7800 this will lay the adapter and usb stick/mouse dongle/whatever right up against the top of the tab (laying across the hdmi port). I know this is not going to be ideal in EVERY situation, but between this and the regular OTG adapter, I think you can accommodate most desired layouts... the only reason I'd want this one is when I want to game on the go and I have need to have my thumb-drive/dongle/whathaveyou attached as I go.

power solution: the default power cable! link...

Because... well... seriously? why wouldn't you get this?!?

power solution: a VERY nice power brick! LINK!

I like this power brick because it not only works in with the JXD in the house, but it's good in the car too... unfortunately it seems this is for AC/US/CANADA power only... not sure if works with UK power...

OK, now we are starting to get into the more eclectic accessories...

An audio add-on: This cheep bluetooth audio adapter...

I don't know man... it's small alright, and it SHOULD work with any bluetooth headset and I see absolutely no reason it wouldn't work with just about ANY device with a headset jack... but I have ZERO experience with these devices and while I will be acquiring one for my kit... I'm not just not willing to flat out recommend something this... "patchy"?

tablet case: this fabric/neoprene solution from willgoo: link

I'm sure it will fit around the s7800 just fine, but it doesn't really have any hard support for the sticks... I'm sure it will keep the tablet safe from scratches and dirt. but the "side loading" manner of inserting the game tablet CAN'T be good for the joysticks...

tablet case #2: this hard case solution from Willgoo... link

Well... we're scraping the bottom here... this case is designed for the s7300 which has the same length and width (ish) dimensions as the 7800... but the 7800 is decidedly thicker and has those thumb sticks sticking up... Willgoo recommends this case for the s7800 so there's that... but I'm not willing to test it myself... any brave dum--I mean "crafty consumers" out there willing to give it a go and let us know how it fits?
NEVERMIND! someone did this... I'm not too fond of it, but SOMEONE out there likes it! More power to them! :D

I'm not sure about the hard case recommended (first by Volcano then by darklight1138) I personally prefer using a nice backpack to lug my stuff around. but I have a LOT more than my s7800. Still... as long as the shell is sturdy, I'm sure its a GREAT case for the s7800.

The backpack I use:

However; being the rudepeople I am , I have to make another suggestion: THIS ONE!!!

Citywolf makes a WiiU gamepad case that looks to fit the bill just as well. the reason I would preferr the citywolf case is simple: I like a console case over a "briefcase" but that's just me... granted the WiiU is a good centimeter bigger in all dimensions (2cm wider) but the case is not formed to the WiiU like most other cases are and so adding some additional padding to protect your gamepad is not only possible, but adds to the overall protection offered by the case.

a look in the case:

In closing: stands... I'm partial to the willgoo solutions this one or this one, which were covered by darklight1138... I just like them... no real reasoning to it other than they are metal and seem sturdier than the plastic tripod.

EDIT:

OOH!! I forgot to add these: Analogue stick caps/grips (Woops! out of stock, try these instead)... these were covered in this thread. so far I can't tell if anyone as gotten/tested these out to confirm they fit, but I'm pretty sure that a little ingenuity and a heat gun will see them properly applied.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 01:27:30 am by rudepeople »
The rude people in my head say nice things about  you...

darklight1138 (OP)

Re: A good stand for the 7800 and other accessories!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 02:08:43 am »
Some good stuff, rude.

That monster brick looks owning just on its looks alone. Wow it looks neat!

That 64gb card is an accessory I am going to get as well. Got the 32gb version so it will be a while. Might wait till they go down a little although they're already pretty cheap.

I do wish this thing went the Pandora route and included two card slots. Maybe its impossible or something or can mess with android's storage system. I don't know, but the idea of having 128gb of storage is awesome.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
Sony PSP-3000

Bargaintuan

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 03:57:09 am »
Well... we're scraping the bottom here... this case is designed for the s7300 which has the same length and width (ish) dimensions as the 7800... but the 7800 is decidedly thicker and has those thumb sticks sticking up... Willgoo recommends this case for the s7800 so there's that... but I'm not willing to test it myself... any brave dum--I mean "crafty consumers" out there willing to give it a go and let us know how it fits?
NEVERMIND! someone did this... I'm not too fond of it, but SOMEONE out there likes it! More power to them! :D

Those are not the same case. The one on the left is the Willgoo S7300/S7800 case and the one on the right is a case for a 9" tablet that I bought specifically so I could have room for peripherals and cables. By the way, I've much improved that setup and it works great. I can pull out the tablet or I can hook up everything and have a pseudo-laptop. I still need to find time to set up DOSBox properly so I can run Windows 95 on it. ;)

rudepeople

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 07:15:02 pm »
I do wish this thing went the Pandora route and included two card slots. Maybe its impossible or something or can mess with android's storage system. I don't know, but the idea of having 128gb of storage is awesome.

I know, right?!? I had typed up this really big long rant on this subject... but then I realized I'm too lazy to complain. :D

Plus, I really like my s7800... It's formfactor, button placement, and even general feel and build quality are GREAT, dispite not having proper bluetooth support, an easily swappable battery, multiple sd card slots, or a tegra... *COUGH-JXD-KAFF-HINTHINT-SPUTTER-S7900-COUGH* Sorry, I have a "head cold"... :P

Those are not the same case. The one on the left is the Willgoo S7300/S7800 case and the one on the right is a case for a 9" tablet that I bought specifically so I could have room for peripherals and cables. By the way, I've much improved that setup and it works great. I can pull out the tablet or I can hook up everything and have a pseudo-laptop. I still need to find time to set up DOSBox properly so I can run Windows 95 on it. ;)

Yes, but one can extrapolate the function of the one on the left by your layout on the right... cut out the top 3 inches and part of the palm rest and it's the same thing... the only question I had was how well it rests against the keyboard (do the thumb sticks get stressed on the keys or vice versa, potentially breaking one or the other?). seeing you have done it and had no complaints about relating to the concern, I assumed these were non-issues.

were my assumptions wrong? do you have conserns about the keys/sticks riding against each other causing potential strain and damage?

darklight1138 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 08:53:22 pm »
I had typed up this really big long rant on this subject... but then I realized I'm too lazy to complain. :D

Plus, I really like my s7800... It's formfactor, button placement, and even general feel and build quality are GREAT, dispite not having proper bluetooth support, an easily swappable battery, multiple sd card slots, or a tegra... *COUGH-JXD-KAFF-HINTHINT-SPUTTER-S7900-COUGH* Sorry, I have a "head cold"... :P

;D ;D

I thought about making a wish list for the next iteration. Here are a few of my wishes. I agree with the ones you mention so I won't put those down.

- Illuminated buttons. I like to play in the dark and this would be no doubt a battery drainer as well as expensive. But I think it would be neat. Of course you could turn it off.

- Full sized USB port. They are becoming obsolete but I'd like to have one. These things are so big I don't think it would be an issue.

- Charging through the USB port. I like to have an alternate option in case the included charger dies or the port messes up.

- Aluminum frame. Yes, these things are already heavy but I'd like some metal on the edges of these things.

- Replaceable thumbsticks. Perhaps they could simply unscrew. Then they could be replaced if they break, taken down for storage or simply replaced by different kinds if people don't like them (e.g. the texture of the tops).

- Sectional pieces of the face that can be removed, around the buttons. This would allow replacement of buttons, membranes, etc. This would be a bad model since I know JXD would rather you just buy a brand new unit.

- Composite outs. Not everyone has HD televisions so this would be nice so that it can be hooked up to any old television.

- Capacitive stylus with built-in slot for it.

- Some kind of all-in-one data port on the bottom that allows you to plug it into a dock. Through this dock, you can connect to your PC or television, connect it to external speakers and of course allow for charging. This dock could also function as a stand so you can watch it if you're watching a movie or something.

- LEDs! And plenty of them! I don't like that you have to hit the power switch to see if it's charging. I'd like three LEDs: one for power, one for Wifi and one to indicate charging (like the S7300). Maybe even an extra one that can be customized, say for example when a download completes or you get an email. The more LEDs the better ;D

Don't get me wrong, like you said I love the build of the thing. It's almost everything I was looking for in an emulator.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
Sony PSP-3000

rudepeople

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 10:25:16 pm »
;D ;D

I thought about making a wish list for the next iteration. Here are a few of my wishes. I agree with the ones you mention so I won't put those down.

- Illuminated buttons. I like to play in the dark and this would be no doubt a battery drainer as well as expensive. But I think it would be neat. Of course you could turn it off.

- Full sized USB port. They are becoming obsolete but I'd like to have one. These things are so big I don't think it would be an issue.

- Charging through the USB port. I like to have an alternate option in case the included charger dies or the port messes up.

- Aluminum frame. Yes, these things are already heavy but I'd like some metal on the edges of these things.

- Replaceable thumbsticks. Perhaps they could simply unscrew. Then they could be replaced if they break, taken down for storage or simply replaced by different kinds if people don't like them (e.g. the texture of the tops).

- Sectional pieces of the face that can be removed, around the buttons. This would allow replacement of buttons, membranes, etc. This would be a bad model since I know JXD would rather you just buy a brand new unit.

- Composite outs. Not everyone has HD televisions so this would be nice so that it can be hooked up to any old television.

- Capacitive stylus with built-in slot for it.

- Some kind of all-in-one data port on the bottom that allows you to plug it into a dock. Through this dock, you can connect to your PC or television, connect it to external speakers and of course allow for charging. This dock could also function as a stand so you can watch it if you're watching a movie or something.

- LEDs! And plenty of them! I don't like that you have to hit the power switch to see if it's charging. I'd like three LEDs: one for power, one for Wifi and one to indicate charging (like the S7300). Maybe even an extra one that can be customized, say for example when a download completes or you get an email. The more LEDs the better ;D

Don't get me wrong, like you said I love the build of the thing. It's almost everything I was looking for in an emulator.

Wow... I wouldn't be surprised if just about every JXD user had a similar "wish list"
I joke about things JXD should have added, but I think they could have pretty much hit the nail on the head if they had taken some notes from their own customer group and other developers. It's so easy to bash JXD... but in all reality, even with their flaws, they are STILL the only company with a gaming tablet we aren't ashamed to take out in public. *COUGHNVIDIASHIELD-AHEM* Sorry, Still fighting that "cold".

Volcano

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 07:53:37 am »
heh, true about the nvidia shield, ugly as sin. ours is so much nicer XD

but i actually chose the s7800 because nvidia uses a 5" screen.. LAME-O
S7800B. Webclaw

rudepeople

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 08:48:40 pm »
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:35:37 pm by rudepeople »

BensJammin

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 10:36:54 pm »
I have the blue citywolf case for mine and it comes with foam inside to keep the case in shape during transit but with the JXD being thinner than the Wii u controller it fits in the case with the top and bottom layers of foam, giving a real sense of protection.

Also, have you guys got a dollar store or anything over there as we have a poundland and 99p stores and these places do various accessories for tablets including upright stands, universal screen protectors, USB cables, universal cases and also a 2 pack of styluses for 99p. Cheaper than eBay as theres no shipping involved

BensJammin

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 11:00:29 pm »
Just thought I'd show the citywolf case in case anyone needed reference

darklight1138 (OP)

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 11:54:30 pm »
My case and stylus came in yesterday.

I love the case. Well made, rigid. I also ordered some foam but I didn't do too good a job at fitting it into the case and making a fitting for the unit. I mean, the unit is protected and probably not going anywhere, but it looks ugly to me, not nearly as good a job as Volcano did. Foam is cheap though and I might look into getting dice foam on down the road.

Oddly enough the case doesn't have that texture on the outside. It's just completely flat.

The stylus is just ok. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If you hold it at a perfect 90 degree angle from the screen it works most of the time. When you tilt it is when you start to run into problems. Also, if you try to trace slowly across the screen, e.g. a drawing program, you get dots instead of a line. You need to be quick with strokes. Maybe that's how they're supposed to be. It's my first capacitive stylus.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:58:17 pm by darklight1138 »
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
Sony PSP-3000

lemmywinks

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 12:02:52 am »
Also, have you guys got a dollar store or anything over there as we have a poundland and 99p stores and these places do various accessories for tablets including upright stands, universal screen protectors, USB cables, universal cases and also a 2 pack of styluses for 99p. Cheaper than eBay as theres no shipping involved

Poundland et al are ace! Got a stand for my JXD from there and it works perfectly, get all my computer gear from there as they do everything from USB hubs/cables to laptop sleeves.

The stylus is just ok. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If you hold it at a perfect 90 degree angle from the screen it works most of the time. When you tilt it is when you start to run into problems. Also, if you try to trace slowly across the screen, e.g. a drawing program, you get dots instead of a line. You need to be quick with strokes. Maybe that's how they're supposed to be. It's my first capacitive stylus.

I prefer the longer pen style ones for tablets, you can also get them with wedge shaped tips which some people prefer. Annoyingly resistive screens are far more accurate when used with a stylus and properly calibrated.

I have a neat stylus which has a laser pointer on the other end, I can use my tablet and wind the cat up at the same time!
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

darklight1138 (OP)

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 12:09:14 am »
Our dollar stores are CRAP. The most tech stuff they have are cellphone headphones or chargers. All I use that place for is cheap sweatpants and socks.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
Sony PSP-3000

Timber

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 01:17:50 am »
I agree, dollar stores are no good for electronics over here. I came over from England 7 years ago, didn't go in many poundlands but yeah, no chance of anything quality in dollar stores. ???

darklight1138 (OP)

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 05:53:17 pm »
I've been trying to find a good fine-point stylus but no luck. I bought the cheap short one from China but I don't like it much.

Anyone have any recommendations? I heard Adonit Jots are good but when reading more, I read about some horror stories of people having their screens scratched all to hell.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
Sony PSP-3000

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 06:22:32 pm »
From what I've seen the touch screen accuracy is garbage, don't think a fine point will do much for you.
If there was a good quality after market touch screen that didn't cost half the units price I'd be interested.

My sisters 40 dollar Azpen does circles around my jxd in this department.

darklight1138 (OP)

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 11:48:37 pm »
I've been looking on this forum for awhile and I thought I saw a long while back that there were these rubber grip things you could fit over the thumbsticks. Can't find anything.

Mine is starting to lose texture a bit and I was hoping there were just some rubber things to fit over the tops.

Anyone know of anything like this?
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
Sony PSP-3000

Post a new topic