Author Topic: 7800b right joystick range?  (Read 7770 times)

Vinc3Has3 (OP)

• The Not Sane For Work Podcast
7800b right joystick range?
« on: January 08, 2014, 07:32:46 am »
Been having troubles with the right joystick on my 7800 during PsOne emulation. Downloaded JoystickTests from GooglePlay, and found that the range of the right joystick is only half of the left joystick.

Left joystick reads from 1 to -1 on both axis, but the right caps out at +.66340506  &  -.66340506 .

I seem to remember something in all my reading on this board, but after searching again, I didn't find anything. my apologies if I'm reposting...

Is this just my unit, or are others having the same trouble? And, is there any way to correct the trouble? The stick works fine with MAME, as the sticks are usually digital for old arcade machines, its only troublesome for analog applications, like PSone and PSP.

Any thoughts or re-directs welcome!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:35:07 am by Vinc3Has3 »

pursued_ghost

Re: 7800b right joystick range?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 08:42:48 am »
I also noticed this problem.
I recorded a video showing this problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieq6PCs52N4

But I do not know if this is normal or is it some software problem or hardware.
One thing I say, here in my unit, FPSE and PPSSPP not recognize commands from analog in time for button mapping.
But these emulators recognize the commands on the left analog.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:50:53 am by pursued_ghost »

darklight1138

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 07:23:59 pm »
Yeah, looks like my rt joystick registers the same values as yours.

Wonder if that can be fixed?
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 07:37:57 pm »
Im pretty sure JXD did this in software and can be fixed.

I know there was someone on here, Don't recall who (maybe Alex?) Who tested the sticks with a meter and they both have full range.
Unless the right stick is further restricted else it is not an electrical problem.

ker

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 07:53:52 pm »
I have obtained the same results with mine

Pegoncology

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 09:36:57 pm »
Hello.
Mine was perfectly working and today I noticed I can only use the right stick with part of 90?. For example, when I turn the cam, it goes around 90? and then it blocks, I push again and it goes 90? then it blocks. I tested it on Six Guns and MC4.
I tested with Gamepad tester and I also have the 0.66 results.
I noticed I can use it at 360? on GTA SA.
Weird, isn't it ?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:53:27 pm by Pegoncology »

lemmywinks

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 09:56:35 pm »
Can you not calibrate them in Tincore? It's a paid option but it isn't much.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

pursued_ghost

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 10:18:53 pm »
I'm also intrigued by something.
I installed GTA III on my device, the controls are functioning normally, but again the right analog is presenting problems.
I searched on youtube some gameplay of GTA III on S7800B and ended up meeting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz6ZDhUwKj0

Look at the gameplay S7800B, when the right stick fires, he ends up having the function to change the direction of the camera within the game.
But on my device it does not happen, it just does not do anything, just look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_aidVVfjwY

Someone who has this game installed on the device noticed this problem with the right analog stick?

Vinc3Has3 (OP)

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 12:01:43 am »

Tincore is screen-mapping (unless there's more about it than I know). That's fine, but I want them to work natively, with no buttons all over my screen... :)

lemmywinks

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 09:03:41 am »
I thought you could calibrate the sticks regardless, it has joystick and key modes as well as other profiles (ie you can make it behave like other controllers IIRC).
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Kingzak34

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 09:57:27 am »
I think this is definitively a software problem, I got the same thing for all games that use JXD Mapping software BUT when I play GTA SA, that support natively the cotrols even if its a bit mixed out, right stick works as it should, and never blocks.

FYI, GTA SA see the controller as a Xbox 360 controller

tincore

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 10:17:51 am »

Tincore is screen-mapping (unless there's more about it than I know). That's fine, but I want them to work natively, with no buttons all over my screen... :)

Output wise the app does much more than that. There is gamepad simulation, network modes etc..
In practice, you can turn your gamepad into a sixaxis (or others) that are much more compatible and also, with calibration, fix that issue.

That -0.6 to 0.6 problem is indeed an issue that can and should be fixed in the kernel module. But nor JXD nor any shop ever send us (Skelton and me) devices or sources to fix it.

0.6 does not comply with the specification and many applications that expect a valid stick value (-1  to  1) won't react.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:22:02 am by tincore »

Vinc3Has3 (OP)

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 05:03:32 pm »

Output wise the app does much more than that. There is gamepad simulation, network modes etc..
In practice, you can turn your gamepad into a sixaxis (or others) that are much more compatible and also, with calibration, fix that issue.

That -0.6 to 0.6 problem is indeed an issue that can and should be fixed in the kernel module. But nor JXD nor any shop ever send us (Skelton and me) devices or sources to fix it.

0.6 does not comply with the specification and many applications that expect a valid stick value (-1  to  1) won't react.

Then I will look into that, immediately! With everyone mentioning using Tincore over the included mapping software, I simply assumed... Which we all know is a bad thing...   ;)

Vinc3Has3 (OP)

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 03:14:38 am »
So, I got Tincore, payed my 1.35 (or so) for joystick calibration, tinkered for awhile - and promptly got lost. Anyone have any idea HOW I use it to solve my problem? Do I have to create a new controller? Right now, the Tincore Wiki simply says that you can calibrate joysticks - not how you calibrate joysticks...

To be fair, it's quite a complex program, lots of tools that can be used in many ways - I'm just looking for a crash course in calibration.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:33:42 am by Vinc3Has3 »

stpat

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 04:03:41 am »
So, I got Tincore, payed my 1.35 (or so) for joystick calibration, tinkered for awhile - and promptly got lost. Anyone have any idea HOW I use it to solve my problem? Do I have to create a new controller? Right now, the Tincore Wiki simply says that you can calibrate joysticks - not how you calibrate joysticks...

To be fair, it's quite a complex program, lots of tools that can be used in many ways - I'm just looking for a crash course in calibration.

Did you follow the steps on his wiki that show how to create a sample profile? I don't think you even need to calibrate your joysticks, just configure the profile to use the right joystick as a touch area (or whatever option seems to  make the most sense for the game in question).

I've used Tincore to create profiles for a number of different games (Dead Trigger 2, Nova 3, Bladeslinger, N64oid), all making extensive use of the right joystick, and I've never calibrated the joysticks at all (I *think* calibration is if you want to configure custom deadzones.)

Anyway, my advice is to walk through the tutorials he has on his webpage. Although it may seem very general in nature (and may not give you the profile you're specifically looking for), it walks you through the process of using Tincore (the order of steps to call up the tool, create a profile, save it and enable it etc...) and from that you can extrapolate how to create the specific profiles you want.

Yes, it is a complex program, but once you start to get comfortable with it, you'll see that that is a good thing... the amount of power/configuration it allows is excellent. And, starting off with his tutorials is a great way to tackle it... you start with something simple, then build upon it. Just trying to dive in blindly would not be simple... the tutorials give the basics, then once you've got those, you can explore the rest of the tool.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:06:23 am by stpat »

Game Dude

Build Quality
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 04:54:50 am »
How is the build quality on the JXD because I have heard it has very bad build quality? I have heard that the battery and charger die out very quickly and that the warranty is not good either. Someone talk about the overall build quality of the system and whether or not the JXD is worth your money. Also tell me how long you had your system (The system in question is the JXD S7800).

I know some buttons go bad, but I want the quality of the handheld as a whole because every handheld on the market has some defects among it.

Vinc3Has3 (OP)

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 05:05:29 am »
Did you follow the steps on his wiki that show how to create a sample profile? I don't think you even need to calibrate your joysticks, just configure the profile to use the right joystick as a touch area (or whatever option seems to  make the most sense for the game in question).

I will go do my due diligence. I will be a better man for it, and I'll be able to use the accelerator on Moto Racer.

darklight1138

Re: Build Quality
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 06:20:48 am »
How is the build quality on the JXD because I have heard it has very bad build quality? I have heard that the battery and charger die out very quickly and that the warranty is not good either. Someone talk about the overall build quality of the system and whether or not the JXD is worth your money. Also tell me how long you had your system (The system in question is the JXD S7800).

I know some buttons go bad, but I want the quality of the handheld as a whole because every handheld on the market has some defects among it.

I've owned the following, just to give you a point of reference:
GP2 Wiz (pretty bad build quality, broke several times)
GPH Caanoo (still working to this day, and I've had it maybe for two years)
Yinlips YDPG16 (pretty bad build quality, had a cheap feel to it, also the power button broke very easily)

The 7800 seems to be built very well. It has a good heft to it. Everything feels solid. The casing seems to be a pretty thick plastic. If you shake it, you don't really hear anything rattling around except for the shoulder buttons, which feel a little loose but I don't think that's a big deal. Buttons have a good resistance to it. The D-pad could be better. It's easy to press right or left and accidentally shift it up or down (which is bad for games like Castlevania where hitting up and an action button uses a special weapon) but I've gotten to where I can hit it fine. I think maybe it needs a larger thing in the center of the pad to keep it from being able to be pressed down (as in you can press the whole D-pad down) but like I said, it's perfectly manageable. I've only had mine since the 24th of December but have been playing it for hours a day.

I do notice the resistance of the D-pad seems to be a little strange. There's more resistance up and down, almost like the left and right have worn down slightly. Can't say for sure. Still responsive but not as responsive as up or down, in my opinion. It could be just a breaking in of sorts.

I definitely think its worth the money. Everything it can do. Especially with Tan's firmware. Touchscreen I've found seems to be lacking in responsiveness, as I find myself having to press it a little harder than other touchscreens (like an android phone, for example).

If it was $200 I'd be a little hesitant, but for $140...yeah, it's worth it.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

tincore

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 06:40:04 am »

I will go do my due diligence. I will be a better man for it, and I'll be able to use the accelerator on Moto Racer.

Calibration itself is trivial. Click the button for calibration of each of the sticks and just follow the instructions. Keep left right up and down. At the end you will see two groups of four numbers set and thats it.

When calibrated, on any operation mode, the right stick will reach the same value/distance as the left. If it does not happen just report and I'll look into it.

Joe Sixpack

Re: Build Quality
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 06:53:11 am »

battery isn't bad but its not great, stock charger is trash.
Touchscreen is pretty poor, build quality isn't bad but QC is terrible its like playing lottery.

125 or less ok , I regret paying 165, but I've also had problems, newer units do not live up to 1.6ghz promise out of the box
Not a bad device if you get a good one

Post a new topic