Author Topic: 7800 touchscreen and joysticks issue, possible fix? or Ship back?  (Read 9453 times)

Joe Sixpack (OP)

Since I have 2 separate issues I've made threads about I've decided to combined them here.
Joystick ghosting and binding: http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/gt-lt-7800-right-analog-already-dying/
Touch screen deadzone: http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/jxd-7800-touchscreen-dead-zone/

Not sure what the problem is, Im thinking this is hardware issue.
If anyone can think of something or another solution to sending to back to china (which is gonna cost me about 50 bucks) let me know.

I hate to send it back cause im afraid my unit will come back with more issues then it left with or I'll get a new unit that will have other problems.

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190313154801/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX1WWBaUO8o" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX1WWBaUO8o</a>

tskillz78

Re: 7800 touchscreen and joysticks issue, possible fix? or Ship back?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 02:15:58 am »
from my experience from breaking iphone screen 4 times and my galaxy s3 2 times my s3 glass was replaced and if i pushed too hard it would freeze i put it to sleep it would return to normal function.. i think  your having that same issue the glass isnt propery seated you could try heating it up with a hairdryer and  wiggling it in to place while the screen glue is warm.. first try restoring it with the rkbatch tool tho... if those things dont work refund it or have it replaced..
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 02:22:52 am by tskillz78 »

failrunner

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 04:39:02 am »
Don't try fixing it yourself. I made that mistake once. It was more then just a little broken when I was done with it and I could not get a refund so I was out money. It sucked. Plus the unit should work in the first place. It shouldn't need to be fixed out of the box.
This is my deep signature. Thank you.

Joe Sixpack (OP)

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 07:06:51 am »
from my experience from breaking iphone screen 4 times and my galaxy s3 2 times my s3 glass was replaced and if i pushed too hard it would freeze i put it to sleep it would return to normal function.. i think  your having that same issue the glass isnt propery seated you could try heating it up with a hairdryer and  wiggling it in to place while the screen glue is warm.. first try restoring it with the rkbatch tool tho... if those things dont work refund it or have it replaced..
What do you mean glue? You mean the digitizer attached to the screen glass?
Im a bit cautious about applying heat to the device, especially since it's surrounding by plastic housing.

I don't think it's a software problem but it can't hurt to try, what's the best way to back up? I've heard of titanium backup and nandroid.. which would be best?

Don't try fixing it yourself. I made that mistake once. It was more then just a little broken when I was done with it and I could not get a refund so I was out money. It sucked. Plus the unit should work in the first place. It shouldn't need to be fixed out of the box.
LOL I Know what you mean.
You're right I shouldn't have to fix it out of the box.. and it's gonna run me about 50 bucks to send it back I think.
I've not contacted fox offer because that is a last resort but it looks like I might have to :(
I would see if I could just get a new touch screen and install it my self but im not even 100% sure that's the problem (although I think it is).

My biggest fear is I send it back and they repair it but it comes back with a new problem, or F.O exchanges it for another unit which has more problems then this one.. That would be a nightmare given the shipping.

tskillz78

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 07:22:43 am »
What do you mean glue? You mean the digitizer attached to the screen glass?
Im a bit cautious about applying heat to the device, especially since it's surrounding by plastic housing.

I don't think it's a software problem but it can't hurt to try, what's the best way to back up? I've heard of titanium backup and nandroid.. which would be best?

to do a nandroid backup you have to have clockwork mod recovery..check out denox's review.. never backed anything up with titanium use it to delete system apps...but yes the glass is glued to the digitizer just use a hairdryer warm it up a little bit for like 30 seconds it should warm up the glue that holds the glass to the digitizer and use your thumbs and try to wiggle it down a little its not going to hurt anything unless you heat that thing up over 5 minutes..it should work out of the box also which mine didnt come with a camera and my son now reports the charger took a dump so had to order another one.i'm wondering whats next... :o

lemmywinks

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 10:52:26 am »
Well personally I would ask the seller (was it Willgoo?) for a replacement screen and joysticks. If you know someone who can fix electronics then that might be the best idea, you're probably more likely to get the parts sent than them pay for expensive return shipping.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Joe Sixpack (OP)

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:01:23 pm »
Well personally I would ask the seller (was it Willgoo?) for a replacement screen and joysticks. If you know someone who can fix electronics then that might be the best idea, you're probably more likely to get the parts sent than them pay for expensive return shipping.

I bought from Foxoffer, their page says the they a 1 year warranty.
I talked to leafar who also lives in the US and said it cost them roughly 45 dollars to send back.
Their unit just flat completely died after 3 days.

I can do those part changes I've done joystick repair on playstation and xbox controllers.. it's a bit of soldering not to difficult.
The touch screen I assume the digitizer would come pre-installed on the glass (1 unit) should be drop in.

But there's 2 problems.

1. not sure it's the digitizer.. likely it is.. but it could be on the PCB somewhere.
.. This isn't such a big deal if the replacement parts are sent to me free.. however that leads to #2

2. in any repair their is a certain risk of.. well.. how do I put it.. F'ing it up more then it is.
If such a case was to happen im not sure where that would leave me.

Anyone have any exp with F.O returns? leafar did'nt have any problems but they also had a stone dead unit.
I don't figure F.O would pay return shipping.. If I thought there was a snow balls chance in hell of that I'd of contacted them by now that's why it's a last resort but I think I might have no choice here.

The joysticks are a concern (other then the ghosting issue they do indeed still work)
but the touch screen is what really has be frustrated right now.  :'(

EDIT: Oh an btw I do appreciate the help and advice.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:03:12 pm by Joe Sixpack »

tskillz78

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 10:19:42 am »
wow nothing but  horror stories with this device i'm sorry man just send it back demand a refund and while youre waiting you will have extra money to invest into something better

acid

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 10:32:04 am »
wow nothing but  horror stories with this device i'm sorry man just send it back demand a refund and while youre waiting you will have extra money to invest into something better

The horror stories are always by the same people who've had the misfortune of having defective units sent to them. I'm sorry you had a bad unit sent to you, but spamming the board isn't going to help. 

Joe Sixpack (OP)

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 05:46:38 pm »
Like what? There are'nt many of these types of devices sold in the US.. The shield while being a technically superior device I do not want because I want a 7inch screen and I do not like the looks of it.
The shield is clearly gaming focused, I like the JXD because it's like a tablet that someone stuck controls on and I want it for tablet use as much as I do gaming since I do not currently have another tablet.

The only other device I would want would be the Archo's gamepad 2
Infact I might have bought that but gamepad 1 owners said they had problems.

The Iben looks nice but only has 1 set of shoulder buttons and PS1 is a big deal with me.

I think in a few years this market is going to grow and we'll (I'll) have more options in the US
But as of right now most of the market is in China.

My only fear is if I do send it in there's no guarantee the next one wont also be defective (perhaps in another area) or I get my own unit back with something else wrong with it.
That would be a nightmare, I could not afford to send it back a 2nd time.

Soon as I get a chance Im going to backup and reflash my firmware to see if that fixes.. that's something simple I can do to rule that out.

Bargaintuan

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 01:26:00 pm »
I found the Shield to be clumsy. Using the touchscreen is awkward and forget running any app that forces portrait mode. Unless you're running things that specifically support the Shield, or are streaming games from your PC, it ranks from less than ideal to completely horrible.

I was playing a portrait mode touchscreen game on my S7800 quite happily last night. That is, until my battery ran out.  :(

Anyway, one would hope if someone returned a unit, the store would check the replacement thoroughly before sending it out. It's cheaper than shipping a third unit. I'm sure the returns have to go back to JXD, too, and must cost the store something.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:54:00 pm by Bargaintuan »

Joe Sixpack (OP)

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 03:05:59 pm »
Ya I don't want a shield either, It does'nt meet my requirements.

My order from DX just shipped.. im wondering If I should wait and see if it's 100% working and keep this one for parts?.. but then again what's there really to use for parts? touch screen I think is bad, joysticks work but might be on their way out.. battery will age whether it's used or not.. PCB and LCD I guess would be good..

Arg, anyway Im gonna try to find time to reflash my device today to see if that fixes, dont' think it will.. then I'll contact F.O..

Maybe I should see if they'll send me the parts and I'll just do the repair my self.. that's assuming the one from DX comes and is authentic and working.. I could risk a bad repair..

I dunno.. Guess I shouldn't assume anything about the DX unit till it's in my hands.

Bargaintuan

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 12:27:40 am »
My order from DX just shipped.. im wondering If I should wait and see if it's 100% working and keep this one for parts?.. but then again what's there really to use for parts? touch screen I think is bad, joysticks work but might be on their way out.. battery will age whether it's used or not.. PCB and LCD I guess would be good..

Well, if the sticks break off, you could easily replace them. And you know the paint will eventually rub off the buttons from use.  ;)

Joe Sixpack (OP)

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 01:45:22 am »
LOL ya my buttons already are fading.

I don't even care though, but if I have to send this back they're gonna think I wore this *@# out.
I've only had it about 3 weeks and only play it maybe 1-2 hours a day.

Vimtoman

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 03:34:10 pm »
Do you think a touch screen calibration app may work. Worth a try.

Joe Sixpack (OP)

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 07:30:55 pm »
do you know of one?

Vimtoman

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 08:07:57 am »
Something like this?
http://www.appbrain.com/app/touchscreentune/com.vital

Had a problem with my first one but the touchscreen was faulty in one whole section on the left side. From top to bottom. So definitely buggered.
Yours looks like its just a patch. So could be sensitivity. Not saying that the App will do it.
Maybe a possibility that the firmware has an adjustment/settings.
If you open it up you may be able to see the IC driver. Usually they are on the flexi circuit of the touchscreen.
This may help in a google search.

Joe Sixpack (OP)

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 04:47:42 am »
Thanks, I tried the app but it says no root or incompatible device.
It asked for root and I granted it and other root programs work so I guess it might not be compatible with the 78.

I found the time tonight to do a titanium backup and then did a full reflash via batch tool.

The problem presists, any other touch screen tools? I did'nt see any in play store but that place is a mess loaded with garbage so hard to find useful stuff strictly that way.

Im gonna contact Foxoffer tomorrow and see what they can do.. question is do I want to see if they will send parts and do the repair my self.. or send it back.

Im not even sure if they can get ahold of the parts but if they can the pro's to that is I never have to be without my 78 and wont have to ship it back which is gonna cost me roughly 50

downside is there is always a risk when doing a repair.. not sure where that would leave me with F.O if I botch a repair and damage the unit.

advice?

XiTaU

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 06:23:01 am »
i wouldn't recommend the self repair method unless u are experienced pulling apart small electronics, usually u just hear horror stories and probably will have different faults when ur finished. I was game enough to add a heat sync and some thermal paste and some padding behind my analogue sticks in my s7300b but if it was to do anything more then that i would leave it to the pros. Seeing as ur getting a dx s7800b u might be worth having a crack or getting the parts and selling it as a lot to someone whos willing to have a crack or just keeping it for things which detect hardware keys like emulators and the like.

Guess its up to u to make up ur mind would be nice to just send it back for even some instore credit if they would let u then u can get the next gen tablet in a few months time.

Joe Sixpack (OP)

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 07:15:41 am »
well joystick repairs i've done before on playstation and xbox controllers with good results.
but the circuitry is not as compact as with a unit like this.

touch screen should be pretty easy swap the hardest part would be dealing with any sort of adhesive that needs to be removed or reapplied.
I don't know if the touch screen is glued to the LCD screen frame, or if it is glued to the housing plastic and just sits above the LCD.. My best guess is it just sits in the plastic housing and is not connected to the LCD but I wouldn't know for sure until I started to remove the old one.

with that said there are no guarantee's, there is always the possibility of botching a repair.

I do have one that should be coming from DX but I really need to make up my mind on this particular unit.
I noticed the touch screen problem within 2 days of having the unit and i've put off contacting F.O because I was grasping at hope it would be some small thing (firmware update) even though the back of my mind I figured this was a hardware problem.

I've had the unit 3 weeks and while their warranty says 1 year I want to get this taken care of before it drags on.
The DX unit has not arrived in fact it has not even left china yet and until I have it in my hands I've gotta assume this is my only 78.

The one from DX might be faulty as well or possibly not even the right item.
I haven't decided what I'll do with the one from DX if it arrives correct and working but I've still gotta deal with this unit one way or another.

I do appreciate you taking the time to try and help.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:20:52 am by Joe Sixpack »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic