Author Topic: 7300b to 7800b Worth the upgrade? Any firmware like Skelton Legacy?  (Read 1371 times)

2die4 (OP)

Hi all,

I've had my JXD7300b with a 64gb SD card for a few years now and while I love it and it works great I'm thinking about upgrading to a 7800 for the faster processor.

My 7300 was not without issues, it was only when I installed Skelton's Legacy Firmware did the device become rock solid stable.  Previously I was running NCCE firmware and this caused my device to lock up all the time.  The Legacy firmware never crashes and everything runs perfectly.

I only use the 7300 for emulators - mainly MAME, SNES, Genesis/Megadrive, PC Engine as well as a few old-skool computers such as Amiga and C64.

What I am mainly worried about is finding a firmware that is as stable if not more stable than Skelton's Legacy Firmware as without this on my 7300 I would probably never use the device as it was that unstable and temperamental so if you're reading this Skelton - thanks so much dude!

I'm happy to just keep my 7300 but wouldn't mind trying some of the Dreamcast stuff or having some of the MAME stuff run full speed (Metal Slug series, etc) but stability and compatibility are the main things I need.

Cheers guys!

warptechno

Re: 7300b to 7800b Worth the upgrade? Any firmware like Skelton Legacy?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 11:40:05 am »
Having MAME run well was one of the main factors for me upgrading to the 7800.  I came from the old s5110 on which I had a great skelton rom installed and in my view transformed the device - the device as a whole didn't really have the oomph needed for some of the high end stuff and 0.139 MAME set was a no go (did handle the 0.375b set reasonably well).

I have been running the 7800 with webclaw's rom for some time now and it has been stable for me (there are more recent ones which are reported as excellent as well).  I have worked through most of the MAME stuff on the device and the games worth playing all run very well.  Haven't got round to the reicast stuff yet but all the other major emulators work great and have had recent upgrades to improve performance (PPSSPP).  I really don't think you will be disappointed with the performance of the device as a whole - as you know what to expect from JXD build quality which is a downside.
7800b
s5110

2die4 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 09:20:53 am »
Thanks for the response dude. Interesting to hear the feedback.

Build quality I don't mind - stability of device running is definitely the priority.

Cheers!

Melquiades

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:30:54 am »
Well, I think the S7800B is a bit short of battery, and power-wise starts to be a little outdated. Still, it is sturdy and the build quality is very good (to be a JXD product), controls are OK. The downside is that flashing firmware is a pain in the ass until you short all the issues and that the existing ROMS are not as good as skelton's.

I got a Q9 the other days, and to be honest I think I still prefer the S7800B. Build quality is much worse, it seems that it is going to break, as is the screen (to be IPS, mind). The dpad is very good but does not seem made for intensive hadoken gaming, seems fragile, the S7800B gets the job done and you can trust it won't break. The analogs are pretty bad, even worse than the S7800B's

If you only want retro, I would probably go for a Q89. It is much cheaper than the Q9 and the S7800B but has the improved battery and wifi of the Q9. At that price is a good deal.

Still, in my opinion the best consoles now are 5": the G5A, but you have to be lucky with the DPAD. Many have issues, including mine. And the S5800, more expensive and less powerful, but more balanced (better build quality and all controls work well, plus the battery is a long distance runner). Of course, if you don't mind paying 3 times more, the Shield and the Much i5 are even better... :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:36:03 am by Melquiades »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic