Author Topic: [S7800] Setup/Beginner's Guide  (Read 15022 times)

Bargaintuan (OP)

[S7800] Setup/Beginner's Guide
« on: November 23, 2013, 12:46:05 pm »
This thread is intended as a startup or beginner's guide for the JXD S7800. I'm trying to consolidate the information scattered throughout the 110+ page thread into something less cumbersome.

The Dingoonity Wiki page has a lot of info on the device, its issues, and some solutions.

Launchers
What are some good launchers for the S7800?
Storage
The S7800's 8 GB of internal storage has been partitioned so that the main partition is only 1 GB.
What are some good ways around the partition limitations of the device?

Firmware
To upgrade the firmware, simply extract the file "update.img" and copy it to the root of a micro SD card. Insert the card into the tablet and reboot. The tablet will detect the file and prompt you to upgrade. Make sure the battery is fully charged before you start the process.

Alternatively, download Rockchip Flash Tool v1.7 from this website: http://www.nathandickman.com/ (The page is for a different device, but the drivers will still work.)

Make sure your device is fully charged before you begin, and some kind of battery backup for your PC (such as a laptop battery) is recommended.

Unpack the file and run the batch tool. You might want to do this with admin rights to prevent issues.

The tool should show device #1 square as pink. Load the firmware ("update.img") into the program and hit the switch button.

The tablet's screen will switch off. At this point you should install the included USB driver. You must do this quickly or the tablet will power down due to inactivity.

The device square in the batch tool should turn green once this is done. Press the Restore button and it will flash the device. The square should flash yellow during this process.

DO NOT TOUCH THE DEVICE WHILE IT IS BEING FLASHED! You have been warned. You will be notified when flashing is complete. If all goes well, you can disconnect the device at this point.

The tablet might reboot a couple of times depending on the firmware, and might take a few minutes to complete whatever post-flashing operations it needs to do. Just let it do its thing.

(Thanks to Joe Sixpack for his detailed explanation, summarized here.)

Rerooting
With firmware 1.1.4 or later, this shouldn't be an issue. For revisions before 1.1.4, details for rerooting are on the wiki page. Look for "SuperSU does not update properly".

Charging
Information on hacking or replacing the charger, which seems to be of low quality and possibly hazardous to the device, can be found in this thread. The charger must be 5VDC, and 2A for optimal charging.  A 1A (or below) charger will not charge a dead battery. A 1A charger is still able charge the device when off provided there is enough battery power to boot to the battery screen, albeit vvvvveeeerrrrrryyyy ssssslllloooowwwwlllllyyyy. If the device is on, a 5V 1A charger will barely make a difference.

Beware of multi-port chargers. Sometimes a two-port charger say it's 2A, but they've simply added the output of the ports together, so you're really getting 1A from each port.

The plug seems to be 2.35mm OD x 0.7mm ID, which corresponds to (Radio Shack) Adaptaplug type A, or EIAJ-01. It looks like 2.5mm x 0.8mm is acceptable, as well.

WillGoo is offering these chargers:
And this cable:
http://www.willgoo.com/usb-charging-cable-with-25mm-connector-for-jxd-s7800b-s7300-p-502.html

Play Store Compatibility
There are some issues with apps that should be compatible with the S7800 showing in the Play Store as incompatible. Turning on Google's location service (in Settings under Location access, Wi-Fi & mobile network location) will help somewhat.

Install Market Helper from the Play Store (It's free). This app will let you disguise your tablet as a different device. Make sure you use the in-app link to update the device in Google Dashboard.  Restart the Play Store (so it doesn't remember what you tablet was) and install whatever you were trying to install. If this doesn't work, you can go to the Play Store from your PC and try to push the app to the tablet.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:55:29 pm by Bargaintuan »

Furida

Re: [S7800] Setup/Beginner's Guide
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 07:53:11 pm »
Hey i like the idea of this thread.

Here are my storage tipps:

Use wether Foldermount, Lucky Patcher or GL2SD to  mount single folders to the external_sd.
Use the SWAP trick (see WIKI page)
Use Link2SD to move the .apk files and library to the internal sd .andoidsecure folder to save space in the system partition.

More will follow.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 08:23:45 pm »
Good thread, rerooting according to wiki
Here is tansoftware's solution (see here for drivers):

Obtain a working Rockchip 3188 ADB driver for windows. (Found one in pda.NET installer)
    Run ADB and request root access.
    Mount /system with rw access
    Remove /system/app/SuperSU.apk
    Restart Device
    Find Rockchip 3188 Root patch from Rockchip themselves.
    Device will reboot 3 times during procedure.
    Upon third reboot, Android play market will update SuperSU and binaries will update succesfully.

Here's the problem, It doesn't say which tool, I could not find any root tool on Rockchips site.
It appears the tool they're talking bout is "TPSarky vondroid root patch"
Here's the thing, I was able to find no less then 5 copies of this tool all with different time/date stamps and file CRC
Im not sure which version to use or even if I have a good version..

I've tried to contact TS about it but so far have not heard back.

This site seems to have a number of downloads, including drivers (or get the one TS posted in the thread link above)
They also have another root tool called Moborobo.
http://www.rockchip.nl/downloads/

ludorverr

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:52:13 am »
Is there anything I can do to increase boot speed? (time it takes to turn on)
Will uninstalling apps make much of a difference to the boot speed? I don't know how android works. Does the size and amount of files on it affect the speed?

When I disable the built-in apps that I can't uninstall they just re-enable themselves when I boot it back up.

My current boot time is 45 seconds.

newcomer

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:12:26 am »
Well I finally registered, after reading the totality of the s7800B threads, and receiving mine a week ago !

I am glad you made this thread, and I hope I can get a few tips... I am totally new to Android, so please forgive the noobitude.

As of now here are my issues :

How can I check my s7800b is properly rooted ?
How can I access the storage through USB (via computer) ?
How can I remove the stock apps like facebook, twitter, etc. ?

Thanks !

Bargaintuan (OP)

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 02:15:46 pm »
Well I finally registered, after reading the totality of the s7800B threads, and receiving mine a week ago !

I am glad you made this thread, and I hope I can get a few tips... I am totally new to Android, so please forgive the noobitude.

As of now here are my issues :

Thanks !

I will be addressing those shortly (at least the first two). I had a problem charging my tablet, so I couldn't verify any info. It seems a 1A charger doesn't work so well.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 06:13:53 pm »
There is probably another way but I installed ZCPU to inspect the SoC
It had a window that checks root it will says Rooted: Yes/No
Not sure if that means it's properly rooted or just the appearance of root however.
There are check root programs in app store but I did'nt try any of them.

In the settings menu there is a section that deals with USB.. you can set your device to present it self in different ways.
Make sure Mass storage is checked.

Plug one end of your sync cable to your 78, and another ot your computer
The computer should detect the 78 without any special drivers as removable drives.
Your 78 will automaticly bring up a connected window.. once your computer is done recognizing the 78
click turn on USB storage (something to that effect) It's recommended you don't use your 78 while this is on.

Now you can access your 78's internal SD partition as well as SD ard slot (if it has card installed)
And move files onto it like a flash drive.

Before disconnecting turn off usb storage on your 78, then eject on your computer, unplug your 78 from the pc.

Most apps are not preinstalled on teh 78, their apk's are in a folder on the SD, it will ask you to install first time you click on them.

If you want to remove the APK's open up explorer and goto mnt\sdcard\apks
You will see many folders named like 2_1, 3_3, etc etc
Open the folders up and see what apk is in them..
It's safe to delete the entire mnt\sdcard\apks folder if you wish.

Mr.Tea

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 06:41:59 pm »
This guide makes me worry less now on getting a 7800, had to cancel order because car repair though  :(

Bargaintuan (OP)

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 12:21:48 pm »
Since I'm really just getting started myself, I'm using it as an opportunity to help others. Anyway, I'm thinking about upgrading to firmware 1.1.4. Should I reroot before or after upgrading? If upgrading is going to require me rerooting again, I'd rather just do it once.  ;)

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 06:05:46 pm »
I updated to 1.14 last night, I used the SD card method.
Just put hte update (.img) file on teh root of your sd card and reboot it will detect it and ask to install hit yes.

It will reboot and instal, then reboot again and you're done.

1.14 appears to have the root problems all ironed out so no need to reroot if you goto 1.14 you're done.

Bargaintuan (OP)

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 12:06:53 am »
I updated to 1.14 last night, I used the SD card method.
Just put hte update (.img) file on teh root of your sd card and reboot it will detect it and ask to install hit yes.

It will reboot and instal, then reboot again and you're done.

1.14 appears to have the root problems all ironed out so no need to reroot if you goto 1.14 you're done.

Nice. I will probably go ahead with that tonight and update the original post with the results.

melcrose

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 02:48:36 am »
Can someone point me to the wiki page? Would be nice to have that on here anyway. :)

Also someone said skelton showed how to do a swap, can someone post exactly how?

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 03:32:21 am »

newcomer

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 08:10:55 am »
If someone would be so kind as to explain what a swap is ?
Does it swap the nand storage for the sd card ?

Bargaintuan (OP)

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 02:37:18 pm »
I need to find out about this swap business myself. The instructions I've seen in the wiki and the mega-thread give steps (swap this, edit that), but don't explain what they're actually doing, which means I have to research the whole thing. I'm not going to do anything to my tablet without knowing exactly what it is.

For example, the wiki says
Short of using an android app like gl2sd that does a directory bind, there's not much you can do to solve this. Keep moving apps off the main memory to "external" SD which is really the extended partition of the internal memory. Games over 1GB in size may be difficult, if not impossible to install. From Skelton: In s7300 is just doing SWAP, editing vold.fstab file. In s7800 can be edited to make swap too because some folks in spanish forums do it and works.

Just edit vold.fstab like this:

dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9

What am I binding with gl2sd? How do I move apps (I think I might have stumbled onto this one)? How do I "do SWAP"? Do these two void.fstab lines replace lines already in void.fstab, or are they added? Where do I find void.fstab, anyway? Is this procedure going to affect apps I've already installed?

I want to give good explanations in this thread, so that people understand exactly what the procedures will do for them.

Bargaintuan (OP)

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 01:58:59 pm »
I've added a summary of Joe's explanation of using the RK batch tool for flashing firmware, and added Market Helper to get around the compatibility issues.

I'll be able to play with the partition problem soon. Right now, I can't afford any instability or down time with the tablet.