Author Topic: Possible Hardware Mods  (Read 7904 times)

Localhorst86

Re: Possible Hardware Mods
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 08:53:18 pm »
Here's an idea: replace the mini USB with a micro USB port. Who still uses mini USB?

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 09:03:49 pm »
Here's an idea: replace the mini USB with a micro USB port. Who still uses mini USB?

That is what I am intending to do, though I would get to get a multimeter to properly solder the voltage points.

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 09:45:55 pm »
Did my reset switch mod today will colour it black which will complete the mod has a lovely click to it had to drill a bigger hole by taking of the rim.

Localhorst86

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 09:54:05 pm »
I did mine as well.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:57:46 pm by Localhorst86 »

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 09:21:50 am »
Ok I just did the dpad mod all I did was swap the Matt over from my rs-90 to my rs-97 and now i have a much better firmer dpad on the rs97 not like a sqigy feel before much improved well worh doing. If you have any spare matts you may want to try different ones very easy to do.

Ksahav

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 09:48:42 pm »
Hi guys, I had a sound problem with the rs-97 : the volume wheel didn't worked as I expected (didn't change anything ... am i alone ?) the sound was really bad... I don't play with headphone.... so I made a simple hardware hack: I shunted one channel on the sound wheel by soldering a wire between two connectors. 

--> the sound is really better with the speaker, I can control the volume with the wheel, but I loose one channel on the headphone (but i don't play with it ...)
Is anyone know how to do the same with a piece of software ? or a less crappy way to manage this problem ?

tacoguy19

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 10:53:45 pm »
Would a USB A female be possible? That would open some other things up with proper kernel/software support.

C0unt_Zer0

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 12:32:07 am »
Soooo I've got a few mods up my sleeve. First, did the reset button mod. Cut and filed the screw almost completely flush so there won't be any accidental presses.

Then I swapped out the d-pad & the contact pad underneath it with the ones from the RS-90. The d-pad sits at a higher profile & isn't indented in the center, which I prefer. The contact pad is a lot less spongey, definitely more crisp. D-pad and case required ever so slight trimming to fit (I just used a file). Also installed the glass screen protector while I was at it.

Last and most importantly, I made the shoulder buttons suck significantly less with a really simple fix. I build mechanical keyboards and had some extra springs laying around. Slotted one in between the button and pcb and boom, working shoulder buttons (TAKE NOTE FACTORY lol). Tried a bunch and these 125g ones felt the best. Now the buttons have actual depth to them and well.. spring back up. Worlds better and super simple. Ideally I would entirely swap out the shoulder buttons with tac-switches (like the RS-90 has), but for a non-solder option this is great.

NOW, take note of those two very prominent pads on the bottom of the PCB. They look like they might be for a left sound channel, but I wasn't able to confirm this. They're even marked +/- on the front side. There is plenty of space in the case there to mod in a second speaker. It might also explain why the volume dial is at max volume with only 1/4 of a turn. If the board was originally designed with two speakers in mind then essentially the one speaker is getting the power of both. The DS-Lite has excellent speakers that are basically the same size and exactly the same electronically as the current one. I'm thinking of picking up a set to see what I can do with them since replacements are so cheap.

ALSO, I believe I've found a huuuuuge battery that's ideal for replacing the small one, should be a super simple install (well, it'll still require case modification, and probably doing without the external SD, but hey).

One thing I haven't seen mentioned (that should be fairly easy to add) is qi wireless charging. You can get those little stick on coils for phones which should be fairly simple to integrate into the back of the case.

Once I have some money I'll order up the parts & fire up my soldering station.

Cheers! =]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:35:35 am by C0unt_Zer0 »

HercTNT

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 02:08:52 am »
The spring for the shoulder button is down right genius. well done.

s0ren

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2018, 08:11:15 am »
Does anyone know the exact measurements of the speaker? Been thinking of replacing it but i dont have callipers =/

naranjamax

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 03:18:58 pm »
Soooo I've got a few mods up my sleeve. First, did the reset button mod. Cut and filed the screw almost completely flush so there won't be any accidental presses.

Then I swapped out the d-pad & the contact pad underneath it with the ones from the RS-90. The d-pad sits at a higher profile & isn't indented in the center, which I prefer. The contact pad is a lot less spongey, definitely more crisp. D-pad and case required ever so slight trimming to fit (I just used a file). Also installed the glass screen protector while I was at it.

Last and most importantly, I made the shoulder buttons suck significantly less with a really simple fix. I build mechanical keyboards and had some extra springs laying around. Slotted one in between the button and pcb and boom, working shoulder buttons (TAKE NOTE FACTORY lol). Tried a bunch and these 125g ones felt the best. Now the buttons have actual depth to them and well.. spring back up. Worlds better and super simple. Ideally I would entirely swap out the shoulder buttons with tac-switches (like the RS-90 has), but for a non-solder option this is great.

NOW, take note of those two very prominent pads on the bottom of the PCB. They look like they might be for a left sound channel, but I wasn't able to confirm this. They're even marked +/- on the front side. There is plenty of space in the case there to mod in a second speaker. It might also explain why the volume dial is at max volume with only 1/4 of a turn. If the board was originally designed with two speakers in mind then essentially the one speaker is getting the power of both. The DS-Lite has excellent speakers that are basically the same size and exactly the same electronically as the current one. I'm thinking of picking up a set to see what I can do with them since replacements are so cheap.

ALSO, I believe I've found a huuuuuge battery that's ideal for replacing the small one, should be a super simple install (well, it'll still require case modification, and probably doing without the external SD, but hey).

One thing I haven't seen mentioned (that should be fairly easy to add) is qi wireless charging. You can get those little stick on coils for phones which should be fairly simple to integrate into the back of the case.

Once I have some money I'll order up the parts & fire up my soldering station.

Cheers! =]

Could you please give more details on how to do these mods? Specially the d pad one. Thanks!
Handhelds:
Rs-97 (OpenDigux)
Gameboy Micro
PAP-KIII plus
RS-90
PS Vita

C0unt_Zer0

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 10:37:17 pm »
Could you please give more details on how to do these mods? Specially the d pad one. Thanks!

I'll take some more pictures to help explain next time I open it up (ordered the battery and speakers so it should be sometime in the next week or so). It was pretty straightforward though, basically my RS-90 finally came, and while I dig the form-factor, the screen was much worse than the RS-97 and I won't be using it anytime soon. The d-pad was better though, so I took it and the contact pad from it, opened up the RS-97 to see if it would fit.

It is pretty close, the only modifications that need to be made are ever so slightly enlarging/reshaping the d-pad hole on the 97, and ever so slightly trimming down the plastic that holds the d-pad in place (on the d-pad itself). Accomplished this easily with a small file I use for models. Required a bit of testing and a good eye to get it juuuust right, but it's very easy overall.

Stay tuned, I'll be swapping in the largest single battery I could find that shouuuuld juuuuust fit (it's gonna be reaaaal tight but I think it'll work) as well as adding a left speaker (using higher-quality DS-Lite speakers). All goes well I'll have a 4000mah stereo RS-97 with working shoulder buttons and a proper D-pad (aka my ideal portable Genesis) 8)

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 11:33:20 pm »
Stay tuned, I'll be swapping in the largest single battery I could find that shouuuuld juuuuust fit (it's gonna be reaaaal tight but I think it'll work) as well as adding a left speaker (using higher-quality DS-Lite speakers). All goes well I'll have a 4000mah stereo RS-97 with working shoulder buttons and a proper D-pad (aka my ideal portable Genesis) 8)

Do you have a link or the dimensions of the battery you purchased?

C0unt_Zer0

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2018, 12:54:09 am »
It's a 5044147

Really pushing it lengthwise, but I think it's do-able (based on the dimensions of the batteries that steward used)

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2018, 01:14:55 am »
It's a 5044147

Really pushing it lengthwise, but I think it's do-able (based on the dimensions of the batteries that steward used)

147mm seems to be excessive. You'll be pushing it at 140mm

C0unt_Zer0

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2018, 02:02:43 am »
147mm seems to be excessive. You'll be pushing it at 140mm
eh, worst thing that happens is i'm out 10 bux. I figure there should be a liiiittle bit of play height-wise which should gain me a couple mm, and I might be able to fold the charging circuit over to shave another couple mm off. if I have to I can gain another couple by trimming the case behind the black bumpers. We'll see.

Either way, figured I'd take the plunge for all of us and see if it works. Spent a good couple hours looking for batteries that might work, this one seems like the best candidate for "biggest possible". These things always have production variances too so who knows till I've got it in hand. Wish me luck ;]

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2018, 02:28:51 am »
eh, worst thing that happens is i'm out 10 bux. I figure there should be a liiiittle bit of play height-wise which should gain me a couple mm, and I might be able to fold the charging circuit over to shave another couple mm off. if I have to I can gain another couple by trimming the case behind the black bumpers. We'll see.

Either way, figured I'd take the plunge for all of us and see if it works. Spent a good couple hours looking for batteries that might work, this one seems like the best candidate for "biggest possible". These things always have production variances too so who knows till I've got it in hand. Wish me luck ;]

You ordered your battery from DHgate? Hmm, might be cheaper than aliexpress.

You should be good for the height, as for the length. Yeah maybe just move the PCB around. Could you share the link on dhgate?

C0unt_Zer0

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2018, 02:47:37 am »
You ordered your battery from DHgate? Hmm, might be cheaper than aliexpress.

You should be good for the height, as for the length. Yeah maybe just move the PCB around. Could you share the link on dhgate?

That was just the best stock photo I could find with the dimensions, I just got one from ebay that ships from the US since I wanted it quick lol

VanZan

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2018, 04:40:20 pm »
I had a eyeglass repair kit lying around and it turns out the little screws it comes with are almost perfect for the reset mod. They generally sell the kits in newsagents, corner shops etc and they're pretty useless. But one of the little screws fit without any need for drilling or filing.

As you can see from the pic it's sticking out a bit but I'm hoping I can file that down.