Author Topic: OpenDingux for Ingenic JZ47xx Devices  (Read 1955 times)

Soul_Est (OP)

OpenDingux for Ingenic JZ47xx Devices
« on: March 26, 2018, 12:48:49 am »
There has been a large amount of amazing development for handles containing Ingenic XBurst 1 SoCs. The issue is that up until this point, much of the development has been splintered with the majority of the energy going to the RetroGame. Thus the need for collaborative OpenDingux development for all of these devices.

The question is how?

Documentation
Wiki
There currently is the Dingoonity Wiki which @omgmog currently maintains. The wiki currently is built using the Twig template engine. Hopefully in time, support for Markdown will be made available (there is a plugin for Markdown support for Twig). The wiki would be used for official instruction for how to get started with or tweak OpenDingux on a device or port OpenDingux to a device. This would be preferred as there is still a lot of information that still applies to what will done.

Git
When commiting changes to a repository, be sure to state the gist of exactly what was done or how the commited changes help the project. If you must add a repository to a repository that you are working on, please do so in a way that is trackable. Once it is known, it may end up being done using either submodule, subtree, or subrepo. Doing so and maintaining patch for the repo inside of your repo makes it much easier to read and also know where everything originated. It also helps when submitting patches upstream.

Code
Always be sure to comment your code with what the code will do. The next person working on it, including your future self will thank you.

Collaboration
IRC
There is the #dingoonity IRC channel on Freenode. Best for development discussion if you are already in a terminal.

Discord
This is decent for discussion. @s0ren created the RS-97 server which has a #developer-talk channel. Excellent for voice chat however.

Dingoonity Forums
To show what has been done or give hints on what is being worked on.

Dispersion
Github
They have a releases section for smaller binary files.

MEGA
Excellent for holding large binary files. 50GB free.

Google Drive
Also excellent for holding large binary files. 15GB free.

Inspiration
@Vert , @BVP - PAP Gameta II Plus
@Steward , @SNESFAN , @gibberish - RetroGame
@Verdugo - RetroMini
@s0ren - Discord server
@eragnarok - SDL2
@m1024 , @Zenith - GMenu2x skins
Everyone supporting these devices.

P.S.:
For end-users using the custom firmwares that get produced, would your prefer to open your device and replace the internal storage or have the device boot from the external Micro SD card?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:30:04 am by Soul_Est »

Zockeromi

Re: OpenDingux for Ingenic JZ47xx Devices
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 04:08:54 am »
Great summary, very helpful.
Regarding to your question: I would prefer the external sd.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Soul_Est (OP)

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 06:36:28 pm »
Thank you for the feedback, @Zockeromi . My hope is to have this be as helpful to the development for OpenDingux on these devices.

I really should have made a poll for the SD card options. Oh well.

Soul_Est (OP)

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 11:16:45 pm »
Just finished working on an "installer" for OpenDingux for JZ47xx Devices that boot from an internal Micro SD card. The installer merely changes three bytes at a specific address to tell the stock firmware to boot from the external Micro SD card. Once I clean up the code and comment it, I will upload it to Github.

I have also added a poll to the thread so please vote for your decision on it please.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 11:28:35 pm by Soul_Est »

obscurehandhelds

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 11:58:00 pm »
you might want to rephrase your poll, it's unclear what yes and no actually mean as you give 2 options in the question :P

Princebatman

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 01:33:52 am »
Just finished working on an "installer" for OpenDingux for JZ47xx Devices that boot from an internal Micro SD card. The installer merely changes three bytes at a specific address to tell the stock firmware to boot from the external Micro SD card. Once I clean up the code and comment it, I will upload it to Github.

I have also added a poll to the thread so please vote for your decision on it please.

Wow, this sounds very promising.  Only knowing a bit... I have a few questions.  So If these devices can boot from the external how much closer will that get us to having CFW (lets just say for the RS-90).  Do we need to dump the actual stock firmware and nand?  to be able to make changes to it?  or can a completely new or edited existing customization (i.e.- jack's dmenu for the k3plus) be booted?

Thanks!

Soul_Est (OP)

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 02:21:59 am »
you might want to rephrase your poll, it's unclear what yes and no actually mean as you give 2 options in the question :P
Thank you for pointing that out. I have edited the poll to make the options more clear.

Wow, this sounds very promising.  Only knowing a bit... I have a few questions.  So If these devices can boot from the external how much closer will that get us to having CFW (lets just say for the RS-90).  Do we need to dump the actual stock firmware and nand?  to be able to make changes to it?  or can a completely new or edited existing customization (i.e.- jack's dmenu for the k3plus) be booted?

Thanks!
The RS-90 was one of the devices I thought about when working on this. As for devices that have NAND flash, I need to create a "search utility" to find the bytes other developers and I need to change to get the device to boot from the external Micro SD card. I will post that when it is finished as well.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 04:15:09 am by Soul_Est »

ViniciusJ

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 03:22:55 pm »
Any news about Rs-90?

Soul_Est (OP)

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 06:47:54 am »
I have created a git repository for this effort which I have pushed to github (https://github.com/SoulEst/OD_on_JZ47xx). The promised boot for external Micro SD Card tool is in there already. IT IS FOR USE ON THE STOCK FIRMWARE ONLY. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I will be populating the repository and wiki with information that I have come across (credited to their sources) and research that I have done. If there is anything that you would like to add, please send a Pull Request, create an Issue, or post in this thread.

Retromini RS-90 Nand dump

https://archive.org/download/retromini_nand
Thank you. I have begun analyzing it already.

Any news about Rs-90?
Nothing as of yet. I am still looking over the NAND flash dump for it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 06:59:05 am by Soul_Est »

metexodia

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 03:23:41 am »
Any update for rs90?

edilaq

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 10:51:33 pm »

There is some version of opendingux compatible with the old PAP K3?