Author Topic: GMenuNext - Let's make GMenu great again!  (Read 11249 times)

pingflood

Re: GMenuNext - Let's make GMenu great again!
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2018, 01:34:38 pm »
Very good, it works now :)

That's great! Now I know I can continue working on this.  ;)

Here are some things I noticed:
- about screen looks good, but scrollbar overlapps the top and bottom bars
- in the main menu, some sections show the cpu icon where the bottom bar was (older bug)
- items in the main menu are too high (only 3 per page instead of 5 or 6)
- file selector works, but outlined text at the bottom looks odd
- the 'show nicer selector when previews folder is found' feature doesn't work yet

Don't worry, I'll fix "every pixel" as possible. For now, I was worried to make it work on real device. But commenting what you pointed out:

1. I'm rewriting all scrollbars. For now, every scrollbar have some weird position. Some even varies on X position.  ???
2. Not exactly a bug, but incomplete work due to some rushy implementation of icons on section bar. Don't worry, it's a work in progress.
3. Maybe it's a glitch due to Skin settings. Could you please share a picture?
4. That's due to a experiment I'm doing trying to improve fonts. Also a WIP.
5. It should work. Maybe it's due to lack of configuration in link section. I'll post a "how to" configure this as soon as possible.

pingflood

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2018, 01:37:15 pm »
Nice. Any chance of telling us quickly what's working and what's not?

Well, it still being GMenu2X.. Just with refreshed design to fit the mockups (regarding some limitations!)

What is working on current GMenu should be working on this too.  ;)

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2018, 04:11:09 pm »
- the 'show nicer selector when previews folder is found' feature doesn't work yet
5. It should work. Maybe it's due to lack of configuration in link section. I'll post a "how to" configure this as soon as possible.

When I set the previews folder in the link config, the extended selector shows up, but it doesn't show any previews. When I enter the previews folder and browse through, it shows some jpg previews sometimes. Can't really reproduce when an preview is shown or not  ::)

I also noticed a general flaw in the link config (don't know if this is an issue here):
Setting a preview path for an link requires you to have all previews for an emulator in one folder. As most people will have separate folders for gb/gbc or md/sms/gg with separate preview folders (like on retropie and recalbox) having only one path is a bad solution. Stewards naming convention with the previews folder is a good solution.

3. Maybe it's a glitch due to Skin settings. Could you please share a picture?
Make sure to update your skins (PS4, PSNext, PSNextDark, OldBoy and Zelda) with the latest version from time to time:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/low-res-skins-for-gmenu2x-oldboy-zelda/

pingflood

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2018, 07:27:27 pm »
When I set the previews folder in the link config, the extended selector shows up, but it doesn't show any previews. When I enter the previews folder and browse through, it shows some jpg previews sometimes. Can't really reproduce when an preview is shown or not  ::)

Next post I'll write a quick "how to" configure. See if your settings matches.

When I
I also noticed a general flaw in the link config (don't know if this is an issue here):
Setting a preview path for an link requires you to have all previews for an emulator in one folder. As most people will have separate folders for gb/gbc or md/sms/gg with separate preview folders (like on retropie and recalbox) having only one path is a bad solution. Stewards naming convention with the previews folder is a good solution.

You can have the previews in another folder. But it is configured per link. There's no way to add multiple directories..  :-[

Regarding the image of main menu, in your skin do you have a value set for "linkHeight"?

pingflood

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2018, 07:30:36 pm »
Quick "how to" have screenshots on selector browser.

1. Select the link you want to edit and press "menu";

2. Edit the link;

3. Configure the link to match your directory structure. Important fields:
Selector Directory: The directory of your roms
Selector Browser: Enable selector before launching the app
Selector Filter: Filter extensions to be shown in the selector. Separe multiple extensions with commas.
Selector Screenshots: The directory of the screenshots/preview of your roms. It can be different than your roms directory.

4. The name of the file of rom and preview have to be exactly the same. Suported image types are .png or .jpg;
5. Result.

pingflood

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2018, 02:37:16 am »
I think it is almost ready for public release  :)

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190314060459/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN4_vniNPZ4" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN4_vniNPZ4</a>
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:51:33 am by pingflood »

ruffnutts

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2018, 08:06:27 am »
That looks the nutts making Gmenu2x look fresh again great work  ;)

I would love this on my GCW Zero too  8)

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2018, 10:50:48 am »
@pingflood do we overite and delete the old gmenu2x folder with this one and do we need to move anything across from the old gmenu folder thanks.

hiei

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2018, 10:58:58 am »

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2018, 11:36:22 am »
Beta Test

1) The Next gmenu works fine on ext sd card loading as well as internal card loading.
2) All the skin packs released so far seem have only 3 vertical rows and some txt is overlapping.
3) Changing wallpapers have no affect on the Next skin.
4) txt can be abit hard to read when highlighted on screen and font size abit small for Next skin.
5) Request for a additional option to have horizontal icons layout.
6) The brigtness icon is pretty cool on the Next skin ;)

Sheyk90

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2018, 11:47:59 am »
It's available for download? thanks.

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2018, 12:29:35 pm »
So here are my findings from the latest version:

1) Layout

a) I tried all skins from the current CFW and most of them have a link height of 65. We shouldn't use link height from the skin config in the new design as most existing skins look odd with more than 40. Making this configurable must have been a workaround, so that longer link names are still shown in the old layout. The link height should be calculated like this: max(icon height, height of two lines of text) + 8 for padding. For normal font sizes this should always give 32+8=40, so that you can fit 6 items in 240 pixels. This would make all skins working without changes.

b) When using skins that do not have listBg set (all existing skins atm), there is a default value set for listBg (light grey). This breaks the design of most skins as everything gets too bright and white. I'd rather use a default of #ffffff00 so that the look of every skin is similar to the old layout. If people want to get the exact emulation station design with dark and light grey they need a new skin anyway (wip!).

c) To get that emulation station design with a dark grey area on the left and a light grey area on the right we really need a second font color. Using the outline to keep all existing skins compatible is a good thing, but there should be an optional second font color supported (light grey or white text on dark background).

d) At least in the extended selector, we should leave out the file icons and only show the folder icons. Its redundant and uses precious horizontal space.

e) Probaby too complicated to solve and it's there since the beginning of gmenu2x, but anyways: Changing skins results in overlapping main menu items (2 items drawn at the same position). Restarting gmenu solves this issue. Like if some skin settings (linkHeight) are only applied when gmenu is started.

e) Minor layout issues:
- position of the battery or sd icon is a little bit off
- description of the app in the extended selector overlaps the list

2) Main menu navigation

Since all items are listed vertically now, we need something like next/prev page like R/L in the selector (emulators list is quite long). As R/L are already used for sections, we could use dpad r/l for that or even change sections to be changed with dpad r/l.

3) Previews

a) Most images are not shown, only 1 or 2 out of 20 in my test. Even a image that was shown a few seconds ago doesn't show up when I go up again in the selector. The only image that showed up in my lynx folder was transparent. This means that there could be a bug in the code for the fade-in effect so that images just stop at 0% alpha.

b) Setting 'selector screenshots' in the link settings to '.' and having the preview images in the roms folder works. Shouldn't it be possible to set a path like './previews/'? Other than an absolute path this would still allow multiple rom folders for one emulator (gb/gbc or md/bin/gg).

PS: Screenshots of existing and new skins comming...
Make sure to update your skins (PS4, PSNext, PSNextDark, OldBoy and Zelda) with the latest version from time to time:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/low-res-skins-for-gmenu2x-oldboy-zelda/

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2018, 12:49:30 pm »
A variant of the PS4 skin to get that emulation station look:

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2018, 12:50:11 pm »
A dark version of the same skin:

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2018, 12:51:37 pm »
The latest PS4 skin with two minor changes (linkHeight=40, listBg=#ffffff00):

bartimeaus

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2018, 01:29:27 pm »
So this is not fully working yet right?

pingflood

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2018, 01:54:12 pm »
So here are my findings from the latest version:

1) Layout

a) I tried all skins from the current CFW and most of them have a link height of 65. We shouldn't use link height from the skin config in the new design as most existing skins look odd with more than 40. Making this configurable must have been a workaround, so that longer link names are still shown in the old layout. The link height should be calculated like this: max(icon height, height of two lines of text) + 8 for padding. For normal font sizes this should always give 32+8=40, so that you can fit 6 items in 240 pixels. This would make all skins working without changes.

For now I'll change the property from linkHeight to linkItemHeight. Not the best solution, but this allows quick compatibility with current skins and if someone want to go back to old GMenu2X, won't need to change every skin.conf again.

I'm still  trying to find a good way to position 2 lines of text on the right side of the icon. Different fonts have different "anchors", then when trying to position aligned to top, middle or bottom, some will look good, others will behave strangely.

Still a WIP.

b) When using skins that do not have listBg set (all existing skins atm), there is a default value set for listBg (light grey). This breaks the design of most skins as everything gets too bright and white. I'd rather use a default of #ffffff00 so that the look of every skin is similar to the old layout. If people want to get the exact emulation station design with dark and light grey they need a new skin anyway (wip!).

Done.

c) To get that emulation station design with a dark grey area on the left and a light grey area on the right we really need a second font color. Using the outline to keep all existing skins compatible is a good thing, but there should be an optional second font color supported (light grey or white text on dark background).

No solution yet, but it is in my to-do list.

d) At least in the extended selector, we should leave out the file icons and only show the folder icons. Its redundant and uses precious horizontal space.

I like the symetrics with file icons, but I understand your point.

e) Probaby too complicated to solve and it's there since the beginning of gmenu2x, but anyways: Changing skins results in overlapping main menu items (2 items drawn at the same position). Restarting gmenu solves this issue. Like if some skin settings (linkHeight) are only applied when gmenu is started.

Will investigate. But no fix expected soon.

e) Minor layout issues:
- position of the battery or sd icon is a little bit off

Fixed. (see image attached with spacings)

- description of the app in the extended selector overlaps the list

App description should be smaller.  :( Does it needs to have "Emulator" after every description?
I'll add a clip rectangle in that area. Text will be clipped, as there's no way to fix this.

2) Main menu navigation

Since all items are listed vertically now, we need something like next/prev page like R/L in the selector (emulators list is quite long). As R/L are already used for sections, we could use dpad r/l for that or even change sections to be changed with dpad r/l.

This is already in my to-do list. Code is almost done. Will page up/down with left/right.

3) Previews

a) Most images are not shown, only 1 or 2 out of 20 in my test. Even a image that was shown a few seconds ago doesn't show up when I go up again in the selector. The only image that showed up in my lynx folder was transparent. This means that there could be a bug in the code for the fade-in effect so that images just stop at 0% alpha.

:( This is one of drawbacks of coding to a device I don't own. Code is working fine in my dev setup. I'll investigate and will need help to test it and try to isolate the problem.

b) Setting 'selector screenshots' in the link settings to '.' and having the preview images in the roms folder works. Shouldn't it be possible to set a path like './previews/'? Other than an absolute path this would still allow multiple rom folders for one emulator (gb/gbc or md/bin/gg).

I don't like the idea of having a hardcoded path, but I think allowing relative paths in selector screenshots is a good idea. There are some limitations, but I'll see what can be done.

Thanks for your feedback. All points have been noted.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:57:01 pm by pingflood »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic