Author Topic: What do you think of this new 7 inch laptop?  (Read 34448 times)

vcoleiro1

Re: What do you think of this new 7 inch laptop?
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2017, 04:39:18 am »
Some more info/pics about the GPD Pocket has been posted on the Chinese forum.

Here is a comparison between the GPD Pocket, Surface 3, Macbook Air

It appears the dimensions of the GPD Pocket are 180mm x 106mm x 23.3mm. The GPD WIN is 155mm x 95mm. So the GPD Pocket is 25mm wider and 11mm deeper than the GPD WIN

If some one can read chinese , I'm curious to know the  difference between the $399 and $599 prices quoted for the GPD Pocket. 

I should note that the Surface 3 can be bought from Walmart for $450 (128GB edition) - keyboard covers for it can be bought for $30 - so $480 in total ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-Surface-3-10.8-Tablet-128GB-Windows-10/46258896). But I guess the chart below is RRPs

Side view showing Fan outlet

Top view showing fan and brass? (translation says brass, but it looks like copper)  heat transfer to heat sink:

Hmm, wheres the uSD slot.  Kendy, can you confirm if it has a uSD slot or not?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:10:45 am by vcoleiro1 »

MJPIA

« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2017, 05:42:11 am »
GPD is a great many things, slow is not one of them.
Take with a grain of salt but here.

Win's IGG price originally started at $300 and the MSRP is listed at $500 right?

vcoleiro1

« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2017, 05:45:42 am »
Looks like the price of the GPD Pocket on Indiegogo will be $399 and the claimed RRP wil be $599  . 

So yeah, the same sort of deal as when they listed the WIN on Indiegogo for $299 but the claimed RRP was $499.  So basically the GPD Pocket looks like it will be $100 more

MJPIA

« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2017, 06:01:36 am »
At this point what would stop GPD from using Kickstarter this time?
Unlike the Win they have a working prototype right now.
PGS managed to get their idea on Kickstarter so it seems there would be some way for GPD to do the same.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2017, 06:09:22 am »
At this point what would stop GPD from using Kickstarter this time?
Unlike the Win they have a working prototype right now.
PGS managed to get their idea on Kickstarter so it seems there would be some way for GPD to do the same.

Kickstarter requires that you have a company registered in one of the countries it operates from .  China is not one of them. Although a number of projects have circumnavigated this by using someone they know that has a US registered company  - Argh, just like the Icontrolpad 2 Kickstarter which I backed regrettably. PGS did the same

Kickstarter Countries US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Denmark, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, and Luxembourg
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:11:33 am by vcoleiro1 »

MJPIA

« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2017, 06:27:41 am »
Could've sworn Kickstarter accepts projects from Hong Kong as well and GPD has a subsidiary Hong Kong store alongside their flagship store on Aliexpress but I may be mixing something up here.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2017, 07:00:21 am »
Looks like they are aiming for a February 4th Indiegogo campaign according to this thread http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4933978951?pn=2

EDIT:  Here's a shot with all the ports.  There is no uSD slot. The reason given is that they feel the 128GB storage is plenty.  I beg to differ.  That's a big mistake IMO.
I would have gone for a full sized SD slot. SD cards have higher capacity and are cheaper than uSD cards.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:22:46 am by vcoleiro1 »

Deen0X

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2017, 08:14:21 am »
removing the SD Card is a BIG MISTAKE

this is a must have, plus adding another full size USB port (or two) on the other side

vcoleiro1

« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2017, 08:29:03 am »

this is a must have, plus adding another full size USB port (or two) on the other side

Yes I agree, it needs another full sized USB port.  I can see people also carrying s mouse to use with the Pocket which they would plug into the USB A port.  Which would mean the Pocket would have no SD slot, no full size USB slot free. Just the USB C.   Pretty useless.   

I would strongly recommend that GPD rethink the ports and add a (full sized preferrably) SD slot and another USB A port

I would also suggest the keyboard keys be backlit
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:10:27 am by vcoleiro1 »

bchliu

« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2017, 08:45:33 am »
GPD's are basically rehashing the old SONY range (a good thing actually) with these.

The GPD Win is basically the modern version of the Sony U series (specifically the U101)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_U-series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Pq71hDONE

This new 7" is the modern version of the Sony C1 series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Vaio_C1_series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyh1bHcVwkA

I had both of these handhelds and they were definitely one of my favourites, but very underpowered with the Transmeta Processor or the bottom end Celeron.

wade

« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2017, 10:03:06 am »

:'(
PCBA does not have enough area to place the TF card slot

vcoleiro1

« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2017, 10:19:18 am »

I find this very hard to believe.  This is a device that is larger than the WIN, yet cannot fit as many ports on it's PCB?

I think you are making a big mistake  not including a SD (or uSD) slot. And this is coming from a big UMPC fan .

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:26:15 am by vcoleiro1 »

wade

« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2017, 10:23:46 am »

I find this very hard to believe.  This is a device that is larger than the WIN, yet cannot fit as many ports on it's PCB?

I think you are making a big mistake but not including a SD (or uSD) slot. And this is coming from a big UMPC fan .

Pocket PCBA area size is smaller
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:26:18 am by wade »

wade

« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2017, 10:25:26 am »
Updated keyboard design

vcoleiro1

« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2017, 10:36:00 am »

I think you are making a big mistake but not including a SD (or uSD) slot. And this is coming from a big UMPC fan .

Pocket PCBA area size is smaller

Have the SD slot and second USB A slot on the other side of the GPD Pocket connected to the main PCB by thin cable.  Or even extend the PCB  along the back or to the front and have the extra SD and USBA slots at the front or back .  There are many solutions to this. Not sure why you are so hesitant to do it.   As I said, it would be a big mistake not to include it.  Is it really worth the lost sales by not including it - your choice

Also, will the GPD Pocket have a backlit keyboard?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:42:26 am by vcoleiro1 »

MJPIA

« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2017, 03:58:21 pm »
I've had tablets that had the micro-sd slot on a small pcb connected via ribbon cable and installed on an edge where there was a small space available.
There has to be somewhere a sd card reader could be put.
When it comes to storage me along with many others would rather expand it with an internal sd card instead of a flash drive.

Looks like there is more info about what the keyboard will be like.
In addition, we use the keyboard is the highest award in 2009, the German red dot chocolate keyboard.
The first application of the chocolate keyboard is Sony, but not universal. Later, the apple phase, for Apple notebook, this is known. Pocket with a chocolate keyboard: flat island keyboard, that is, the following this. This keyboard is ideal for women delicate fingers.
Translated from Chinese but yes the chocolate keyboard portion is correct.
http://www.v4keyboard.com/an-unoffical-definition-of-chocolate-keyboard-1190.html
http://event.asus.com/digitrend/39html/design-093901.htm
Asus original "chocolate keyboard" not only enhance the ergonomic comfort of the keyboard, the appearance is more concise and neat, and provides more spacious typing space. By expanding the finger contact area to make the input more fluent and smooth, and close the gap between the keys to avoid the accumulation of dust and dirt. Character keys and function keys to distinguish clearly, can effectively improve the accuracy of the input. The natural curvature of the keys on the "Chocolate Keyboard" makes it easier for the fingers to position correctly and make the typing even more comfortable. Built-in "hotkey" function, a key can immediately trigger the default function.

Saber

« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2017, 04:35:25 pm »
Updated keyboard design

Looks good.  :)

PowerLion1

« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2017, 08:51:26 pm »
I like the idea of having all the ports on one side.  If it's designed to be a portable PC but also be used as a desktop then all the ports on one side makes it more appealing for vertical station docks like Henge Docks.

However, NO MicroSD slot!?  Well, I guess you could use one of those super small USB miscroSD adapters, but for those ones, they are USB 2.0 the small USB 3.0 stick out too far.

Nice design, but I don't think it will catch on as much as the Win.  It's a very niche market.  And as a person with a business management degree, this is a big risk for a small company that I don't think will pay off.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2017, 09:30:52 pm »
Well at least the keyboard layout is good now. 

I hope GPD adds a SD slot and extra USB A port though

Post a new topic
Post a new topic