Author Topic: What do you think of this new 7 inch laptop?  (Read 31614 times)

kendyzhu777

Re: What do you think of this new 7 inch laptop?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 10:00:57 am »
The three things I'd like to see GPD release next

1)  A Ubuntu download with drivers for the GPD WIN as promised to backers .  I know a lot of people that would buy a GPD WIN when Ubuntu becomes an option for it

2)  An Android  GPD XD 2, a lot of people have been waiting for this

3)  A premium GPD WIN option with 128GB storage or more. Perhaps even with a metal shell like the one shown at one point in the Indiegogo campaign.   There are a ton of people that would buy a larger storage WIN option.  Call it the GPD WIN Elite.

Yes.We are develop the driver for Ubuntu now. Hope can complete soon.

skelton

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 10:08:45 am »
I would prefer dualos with native Android and win10 for current gpd win. I can collaborate with kernel if you like.

A gpd xd 2 would be nice Too, but I suppose you are still waiting for rk3399, right? Or hace you considered other alternative like some New mtk processor?
Retired

Maniac

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 10:50:48 am »
For a device like this, I wouldn't go over a 6", or maybe even 5.5", screen. 7" is too big, it can't fit in your pocket. 1366x768 is probably the ideal resolution.

nex86

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 03:24:14 pm »
I like the idea, but why does it have to look so much like a Macbook?
I'd love a Netbook with those specs and an aluminium body but I think it should be at least 8"

PS: and it has more ports than a 12" Macbook haha love it ^^
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:30:07 pm by nex86 »

Faust

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 04:06:45 pm »

1)  A Ubuntu download with drivers for the GPD WIN as promised to backers .  I know a lot of people that would buy a GPD WIN when Ubuntu becomes an option for it

3)  A premium GPD WIN option with 128GB storage or more. Perhaps even with a metal shell like the one shown at one point in the Indiegogo campaign.   There are a ton of people that would buy a larger storage WIN option.  Call it the GPD WIN Elite.

Yes.We are develop the driver for Ubuntu now. Hope can complete soon.
Hi Kendy,

Do you have any news about the development of the optimised Windows version of the GPD WIN? We are also waiting for driver fix for the mouse mod.

About this netbook, the resolution is too high, you should consider the 4G, a (retractable) touch pad, a front camera, a 360? hinge and sd card reader, not micro sd.

Envoy? de mon 6039Y en utilisant Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:09:36 pm by Faust »

nex86

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 05:34:32 pm »
I'd go for 1366x768. Not higher because scaling in Windows can be a pain.
8GB RAM instead of 4GB would be better. And as Faust said, a cardreader.
I'd love to hide my SD card inside though so it doesn't stick out.

All this would be the perfect Netbook for me.

Pintek

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 06:36:42 pm »
Honestly the netbook render looks likes gitterbug and lenovo had baby an covered it in aluminum it doesn't look at all that appealing. Also gives me a razer switch blade concept feel though not as dark and the keys don't have tiny LCD's behind them.

I think it be more to peoples interest to make a further improvement to the gpd win
- split the "special keys" so the main keyboard is centered flanked by (the left side: L3, select, vol up, vol down, power | right side: r3, start, xbox, insert, pause
- further optimization to the heatsink/motherboard layout to allow a higher cfm blower style cooler used more commonly in laptops an active cooling tablets
-Possibly add back lighting to the key even if its minimal just enough so we can get a guesstimate of where the keys are
-experiment with the AMD merlin apu thats being used in the smach Z an see if its remotely possible to make the gpd win sized chassis handle that amount of heat if its remotely feasible
---if its likely impossible to make the amd chip work an sticking to the z8700 bump up the ram to 6-8gb an storage to use a mini pcie/msata connection so customers can later down the line upgrade the internal SSD (half length ones to save space)

If you REAAAALY want to make a netbook i'd say don't your going to get more issues then its worth my place of employment did a 3,200 computer rollout of HP specter x360's an this race to the thinnest laptop has made them fragile as heck when you put humans in the equation.

I'd dare say an I may be the extreme minority but seeing Sony's name in the thread reminded me of a darn near invisible umpc... Look at the vaio VNG UX series

-Maybe make a device based on a similar concept but about... 6mm thinner? (I know thats not much these things were chunky in a good way)
-Something with a slide up screen full keyboard thats perfect to thumb type one (like the old sidekicks) BACKLIT (like the side kick 4g)
-Its gonna be a bit larger form factor so go ahead an dump a merlin or intel equiv whatever has a better performance to $$$ to power consumption but no atoms
since if going with a ux sized device allow for upgradable memory and storage heck even gives you room for a spare mini pcie slot for a cell modem
Make the device as friendly as possible for people that take public trans try to design something that people can hold while on the subway to get a quick bit of news or play monster hunter online with look at the sony psp an try to emulate such a fantastically friendly device into a windows computer form factor that can fit nicely into a purse, satchel, coat pocket, pants pocket.

Well the last bit actually sounds like you guys did that already with the win just get the quality up stream line things don't neglect this little guy cause every person i've shown as actually started wondering about getting one themselfs even when they know I have a buggy unit I deal with it an love using my gpd win for typing troubleshooting tech on site and gaming at lunch

Kilrah

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 08:44:52 pm »
A machine that would be a bit more convenient to type on would be nice, but at the same time I wouldn't want anything bigger than the Win. I also like the usual clamshell design of the Win. In my opinion, making a 2nd device that is too "common" and close to existing netbooks would have little interest.

I'd rather see the couple of poor design choices of the Win optimised, since to me it is pretty much perfect apart from that.
- Keep the general case design
- Make the keyboard full width and centered, with a better choice of keycaps (need to feel the space between keys more)
- Move the special keys between the joysticks, L3/R3 ideally as joystick push but if not possible right next to the joys
- Fit a 6" screen with thinner bezels

And of course fix the remaining issues i.e. sleep crash, improve cooling slightly. A thin profile radial fan like in most laptops (look at Apple inside photos) might be more efficient than the current axial one.

Also port Android and allow for dual boot. This must not be a huge thing since other Cherry Trail devices do it e.g. Gole 1.

If you do that you cater for both markets.

PowerLion1

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 08:48:55 pm »
What do you think of this new product? It employs Windows 10 system+Touch panel+fully functional keyboard, with 4GB RAM + 128GB ROM. The main difference between this and GPD WIN is that it is slightly larger (7 Inch) and it doesn't have gamepad buttons. Please see the pictures of this new device below.

I had two different netbooks.  Barely used them because of the low processing power and they were just too big to be portable and too small to be useful.  I now use a laptop for my main PC and the GPD Win for on the go.  What would be nice is one of the following.

• A dock for the GPD Win
    • Connect other devices other than bluetooth keyboards and mice easily
    • Can add HDD, optical drives, video out, etc via USB Type C while charging
    • Makes it a home desktop while keeping it portable for on the go
  • A lapdock like the Motorola atrix/bionic
    • I LOVE the usability of my atrix lapdock even though I don't have the phone
    • It's a nice very portable HDMI screen with a USB keyboard and trackpad.
    • But if it had a bluetooth keyboard and mouse instead it would be great.
    • Add miracast to it and you have a truly portable laptop dock without wires
    • WiFi enabled storage with microSD slots
    • I plan on using a Raspberry Pi Zero to try to make something like this

Also, thumbs sticks suck.  That's why many laptops don't use them anymore and switched to a trackball, and now to touchpads.  Maybe if you used an infrared LED without color and pointed it upwards on a flat piece of plastic or glass, it would be more comfortable and might make it more appealing to use.  Think sort of an upside down mouse.  Like moving your finger over the mouse instead of moving the mouse on a table.  Also, one less thing that could possibly break easy.

I second that!

With Microsoft announcing Windows 10 on the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor the GPD XD2 would sound like a great idea.  I don't have an XD, but if they made the XD2 the same as the XD and included two changes, I would grab it up in a heartbeat.

• Windows 10 ARM + Android DualOS
  • Add a touchpad keyboard and stylus holder like the DS.
    • Something similar to a laptop trackpad.
    • Decals can be added for various languages or customizations
    • It can determine the key via location on the trackpad
    • Something similar to millikeys.  I used millikeys on my Kyocera 7135 a long time ago.

Only problem with that is if they bump it up to 128GB then it goes out of the specs for a free Win10 license.  So, you would have to add an additional $50 on to the price of the unit.  And the increase in storage would add approximately $20 (retail) at the current rate.

Now you're talking nearly $500.  A metal shell (which absorbs heat much more) might not be a good idea considering how hot the GPD Win does get and will add on to the cost even more.

Although what would be nice is to put a second microSD slot on the other side of the board as well so that it has two microSD slots in the same location (like a sandwich) which would allow for more storage.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:01:16 pm by PowerLion1 »

jimboton

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 08:55:49 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't be interested in a portable device bigger than a GPD Win, even if it offered better controls or more power than the Win. And this design does neither of those things anyway!

zdanee

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 10:22:19 pm »
What do you think of this new product? It employs Windows 10 system+Touch panel+fully functional keyboard, with 4GB RAM + 128GB ROM. The main difference between this and GPD WIN is that it is slightly larger (7 Inch) and it doesn't have gamepad buttons. Please see the pictures of this new device below.

My first thought: Oh my God! What idiot designed that keyboard?! Backspace below space? And a power button in the place of the backspace? Do you want me to turn the machine off every time I try to delete a character? Just put the power button on the side of the machine and put the backspace where it belongs. That advice was for free, you are welcome.
Cube i7 Stylus + GPD Win

Gin2168

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 01:04:02 am »
Some harsh replies, but I have to echo some of the sentiments here. While I invested in a GPDWin, I do have a few Atom based windows tablets laying around. Honestly they're not appealing and I don't really feel like there is a mainstream market for them. They're slow, big and really lack the power behind them to do what a real laptop could do. At that point, most people would just go with a Chromebook or Laptop.

At 7" it's just way to big to be a UMPC. UMPC should be like the GPD WIN far more portable so there's an incentive to having it. I think you guys would be far better keeping the GPD Win mold, fixing the keyboard placement, removing the controls, upgrading the storage and ram and selling it as a separate UMPC lineup.

Otherwise, there's 100's of products just like this one stateside and internationally that I just can't see to many people being interested. The GPD Win is unique, build on that and you'll find a much bigger niche market I think.

Renard (OP)

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 06:21:50 am »
The reason to launch this product is that some handheld game players are also the fans of laptop, and they are very interested in this laptop which is easy to type and carry.Also for some geeks they are quite fancy this tiny laptop. Therefore GPD company is going to launch this product. The product is currently named "Pocket", meaning it is the laptop which can be put into the pocket.

Actually, it can indeed be put into the pocket. It is slightly larger than GPD WIN, and because it employs CNC integrated color aluminum process,with extremely narrow frame with 7-inch screen design, also it has QWERTY keyboard, so that the overall layout is very compact and tiny.

Here are the basic configuration of the product:
CPU:8700
RAM:4GB
ROM:128GB
Screen: 7-inch IPS screen, full lamination technology, Gorilla glass 3
Battery currently: 7000mAH

Pintek

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 07:00:01 am »
Honestly I own a first gen acer aspire one AOA150 netbook I do not feel a device smaller then one of those would be comfortable doing standard typing the idea of playing a fps/rts/mmo seams like a horrible idea on something a little bigger then the win but without its dedicated game controls.

Also guessing this will be thinner then a win an well that throws so many red flags for me saying the thicker HP spectre I've seen get warped chassis and they are "aluminum" I really don't think its the greatest idea to start throwing another device especially one that I don't think fits your company's name or theme (least that I've seen) "Game Pad Digital" you should be focusing on devices that take gaming controls firstly an cleverly an comfortably integrating them into a portable mobile device.

You say this device is gonna be called the pocket... thats a bit of a stretch. I mean yeah it looks like this device will be only maybe a half inch smaller in the width an height then my retired note 8 tablet with zaggkeys folio case but thinner an that thing was lucky enough to fit in my cargo pant leg pockets let along the actual side pockets (29" length x 32" length pant size)

You might as well try to make a 6" version of the panisonic jungle which kinda looks like a more rugged version of the win sans the full xbox controls an stranger appearance

Specs are fine but really at the form factor you could save yourself rma headaches by setting it up with mini PCIE based SSD, wlan and then using sodim memory (cleverly possibly notching the motherboard to give room) so the device doesn't need to be shipped back an people have to wait 30+ days to know if their device is even picked up for servicing.

This device seams more like something that whatever marketing research you've done I feel you had people say "yeah I'd buy that" but in reality they'll go with something that this is competing for at a lower price even if its inferior to performance... This device is bland and unoriginal if this was on indigogo before the win I wouldn't even have looked... I would have actually gone an bought a old vaio VGN ux if it wasn't for the fact I noticed the win was up for presale

I really recommend you continue to innovate your fascinating game handheld/windows hybrids I'm guessing you just have way more atom 8700s laying around from the gpd win which I'd say continue churning the win's out, optimize the heat sink design further, give people a option for ram an storage upgrades heck why not offer a premium full aluminum housing option to?

Finally I just feel you guys right now are in a interesting segment after releasing the win... You have made one of the first UMPC devices in a long while that out performs most cheap windows 10 tablets, topping it off right now you hold the monopoly on this till the smach Z comes out. Why not continue on that an design a few different styles of UMPC devices each of which work great an can show that while the concept of the smach Z is cool that its better to maintaining a keyboard and a clever way to have gamepad/mouse controls?

vcoleiro1

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 07:13:06 am »
The reason to launch this product is that some handheld game players are also the fans of laptop, and they are very interested in this laptop which is easy to type and carry.Also for some geeks they are quite fancy this tiny laptop. Therefore GPD company is going to launch this product. The product is currently named "Pocket", meaning it is the laptop which can be put into the pocket.

Actually, it can indeed be put into the pocket. It is slightly larger than GPD WIN, and because it employs CNC integrated color aluminum process,with extremely narrow frame with 7-inch screen design, also it has QWERTY keyboard, so that the overall layout is very compact and tiny.

Here are the basic configuration of the product:
CPU:8700
RAM:4GB
ROM:128GB
Screen: 7-inch IPS screen, full lamination technology, Gorilla glass 3
Battery currently: 7000mAH

What are the dimensions of the device roughly?

Post a new topic