Author Topic: Upgrade to the GPD WIN?  (Read 1687 times)

nmkd

Re: Upgrade to the GPD WIN?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 05:50:01 am »
I know, but someone on Reddit (who owns a Win) said 365.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/6bwcae

Mine weighs in at 376 with MicroSD card & screen protector installed. 1/10 rev z8700.

Nice! yeah I eventually wanna get one of these devices. The minute I saw the youtube vid of the guy playing Halo....HALO ON A HANDHELD....I was swooned
Haha yeah, I can't wait to get my Win.

So many amazing games on the go.
Or in bed.

I know right! However I do think I would like to try if I get one the l3/r3 sticks mod that allows for clickable sticks.  A few ppl have successfully done this

The problem is the L3 R3 hack is very much a hack... and requires serious modification to your joysticks that will probably render them broken sooner rather than later... basically allowing them to slide up and down in thier PCB mounts... it just isn't a good solution. A work around I might consider is drilling a small hole in the case and putting tall pushbutton through the case on the back where your index finger could hit it. Leaving the joysticks unharmed. I also don't like damaging the L3 / R3 buttons there has to be a way around that.

Ok yeah thats true better to leave it be I guess. Can anyone tell me if theres any worthwhile differences betw the z8700 and z8750. I might be able to get the z8700 for a good deal but cant seem to get clear info

Is the 8750 alot more powerful/better screen
Same screen.

Around 5% better performance.

Is that bad big of an increase or would z8700 be sufficient
I said 5%.

If you get the 8700 significantly cheaper, go for it.

Maniac

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 12:34:32 pm »
I know right! However I do think I would like to try if I get one the l3/r3 sticks mod that allows for clickable sticks.  A few ppl have successfully done this

Original Xbox didn't have L2 and R2, just use those for the clickable sticks if you need them, and map white/black to L3/R3.

Berryal

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 01:38:34 pm »
Shield battery is actually a pretty easy replacement. It's just 3 18650 batteries which are very commonly found.

Hehe yeah i get you. I might actually just keep the shield bc its so one of a kind, and get a GPD XD for now bc i like the placement of the R3/L3 better and i can stream pc games from my computer via moonlight. The thing is whilst the WIN looks INCREDIBLE, windows emulators tend to frustrate me lmao android ones are so simple in comparison and ill probably mostly play ps1 and n64 era games

Its a trade off tho, bc windows emulators are WAY BETTER lol just need more tuning and take more time at least once they are setup launchbox makes it possible to have roms in one place and other frontends, but i think the mostly the l3/r3 placement and what kind of games ill be playing that make me think i will get the GPD XD

Also can anyone tell me if the GPD Win is very heavy? like shield portable heavy? lol or is it more along the lines of 3DS XL weight
I'd agree that I actually much prefer most emulators on Android just due to their simplicity. Im gonna keep my Shield alongside my WIN as I love it and couldn't bear getting rid of it. Currently been using my WIN to play a ton of Guild Wars 2 and its been wonderful.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

KSS1992 (OP)

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 02:01:58 pm »
I know, but someone on Reddit (who owns a Win) said 365.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/6bwcae

Mine weighs in at 376 with MicroSD card & screen protector installed. 1/10 rev z8700.

Nice! yeah I eventually wanna get one of these devices. The minute I saw the youtube vid of the guy playing Halo....HALO ON A HANDHELD....I was swooned
Haha yeah, I can't wait to get my Win.

So many amazing games on the go.
Or in bed.

The problem is the L3 R3 hack is very much a hack... and requires serious modification to your joysticks that will probably render them broken sooner rather than later... basically allowing them to slide up and down in thier PCB mounts... it just isn't a good solution. A work around I might consider is drilling a small hole in the case and putting tall pushbutton through the case on the back where your index finger could hit it. Leaving the joysticks unharmed. I also don't like damaging the L3 / R3 buttons there has to be a way around that.

Ok yeah thats true better to leave it be I guess. Can anyone tell me if theres any worthwhile differences betw the z8700 and z8750. I might be able to get the z8700 for a good deal but cant seem to get clear info

Is the 8750 alot more powerful/better screen
Same screen.

Around 5% better performance.

Is that bad big of an increase or would z8700 be sufficient
I said 5%.

If you get the 8700 significantly cheaper, go for it.

Good point xD lol %5 isn't exactly large

Shield battery is actually a pretty easy replacement. It's just 3 18650 batteries which are very commonly found.

Hehe yeah i get you. I might actually just keep the shield bc its so one of a kind, and get a GPD XD for now bc i like the placement of the R3/L3 better and i can stream pc games from my computer via moonlight. The thing is whilst the WIN looks INCREDIBLE, windows emulators tend to frustrate me lmao android ones are so simple in comparison and ill probably mostly play ps1 and n64 era games

Its a trade off tho, bc windows emulators are WAY BETTER lol just need more tuning and take more time at least once they are setup launchbox makes it possible to have roms in one place and other frontends, but i think the mostly the l3/r3 placement and what kind of games ill be playing that make me think i will get the GPD XD

Also can anyone tell me if the GPD Win is very heavy? like shield portable heavy? lol or is it more along the lines of 3DS XL weight
I'd agree that I actually much prefer most emulators on Android just due to their simplicity. Im gonna keep my Shield alongside my WIN as I love it and couldn't bear getting rid of it. Currently been using my WIN to play a ton of Guild Wars 2 and its been wonderful.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

yeah I was originally gonna do that but the GPD Win's price point is so large that i feel keeping the shield when i know it'll go unused feels odd for me i feel like maybe ill just use the shield money toward the GPD WIN, unless i find out the shield is gonna be super valuable one day which according to alot of ppl it may not be lol

Post a new topic