Author Topic: The problem of your GPD WIN  (Read 70299 times)

Maniac

Re: The problem of your GPD WIN
« Reply #675 on: May 19, 2017, 12:30:53 pm »
Now that I think about yeah, it's running off a sd card.

GPD Win KeepAlive should fix it

Alternatively, you could try this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/5lhv9a/for_those_having_sd_card_reader_issues_try_this/

Or try changing power options:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/5xnp8r/heres_a_permanent_solution_to_avoid_sd_card/

Or it's possible this may fix it, but I haven't tested delay performance:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/655dpj/guide_make_sd_card_recognized_as_internal/

Jarntazecht

« Reply #676 on: May 27, 2017, 02:46:04 am »
I made an account here as an absolute last resort to get my GPD Win working again. I have looked over every single help topic that exists that I can possibly Google search. I have looked over every seemingly related topic I can find on every single forum I can look at. I have googled a hundred times any possible help I can get, and still cannot at all for the life of me find any possible way to either get the touchscreen working, or get a replacement touchscreen. I am at my wit's end, about ready to give up, and just stop using this computer and wait for some kind of similar thing in the future, even though I was really excited that this computer had come out to the public. I've only owned this machine for 4 months, and it's really not fair that there's no clear place to go to for support, no clear point of contact, not a lot of reported success from anyone else who has a broken machine.

The touch function on my Win stopped working about two weeks ago. I have tried everything I can think of that I know how to do to get it working again and it absolutely will not work. At this point I'll try to list off everything I did but may have forgotten a few things. It doesn't matter if the computer is on battery or plugged in with any of these troubleshooting steps.

- Restarted hundreds of times. I've shut down, sleep, hibernated, left the device off for an hour before turning it on. None will work.
 - I've gone into the power options and turned off every single option related to saving battery power. I've disabled battery saving of any kind in my graphics drivers options, in settings, and device manager.
 - I have rotated the screen on the device every single rotation, and restarted the computer in that rotation. It is useless.
 - I have plugged the computer into a monitor, as one person said it worked for them, and rebooted while plugged into the monitor. It doesn't do anything.
 - I downloaded every single Windows update that was available and have kept it up to date since in the hopes that an update will fix the issue. Analog mouse works, USB mice work, keyboard works, every single accessory works except for the touch screen.
 - I attempted to turn off the service related to touch and re-enable it several times and that does nothing.
 - I downloaded the driver pack on one of the help topics in this forum and tried reinstalling all of the drivers. The drivers install successfully but still do not work. I have disabled the Goodix touch drivers, the USB touch drivers, the HID compliant drivers, all drivers related to touch, and attempted to reinstall them. Again they install successfully but it will not work.
 - I downloaded the ~6GB firmware update from one of the help topics. But really am not familiar with working in the BIOS. I'm not so new to computers but I'm not good at working in the BIOS and I'd need more explanation on how to work with it. So far no resource on the internet can explain how to work with the BIOS on this particular computer. I also don't know if there are any other drivers out there that would work with this machine as I just don't know much about how it's put together.
 - There are no restore points for me to go back to in order to try enabling the touch drivers again.
 - One help topic said to pry the screen off of the computer, and reseat the cable going into the small screen. I was able to do that successfully the first time and this did not change it or help it. However, I attempted to do it again and ended up shattering the screen, so now I need a new screen regardless and can't find a single link as to where they are sold, if anywhere. One person on this forum reported buying a new one but I don't know where he managed to find it.

I'll try anything I can that anyone can recommend, but I have to get a replacement touch screen from somewhere even if I can get the touch fixed because I have now shattered the screen attempting to pry it off a second time in the hopes that disconnecting/reconnecting the strip to the main board would work. I have Googled and searched on every website related to the GPD Win and all I can find are reviews and sales of machines and replacement buttons, I cannot find anywhere that sells replacement screens, and don't know how much they'd be anyway. I just want a working computer. I don't have a lot of money to blow on buying an entire replacement machine or huge international shipping costs or repair fees. I don't know if there's any kind of warranty or any possible chance this thing could be repaired. Please if anyone can help, if anyone can recommend anything, if there's any possible hope I can get this computer to its original working condition again, please let me know.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #677 on: May 27, 2017, 04:10:43 am »
@Jarntazecht

I'd probably contact GPD and get it repaired at this point.   

I mean , you could try to get a replacement screen from here: https://world.taobao.com/item/546310611030.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4002-9780011976.36.0lt0C9

But, youd be paying a bit with the uncertainty of the touch working in the end.  ie it could be some other issue.   

Probably just worth contacting GPD and sending it back.

exorio

« Reply #678 on: May 27, 2017, 10:25:32 am »
Agreed, better just contact GPD, and probably request for a return.

My touchscreen was busted back then, and bought this :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Touch-Panel-for-GPD-WIN-5-5-Inches-Windows-10-Pocket-Laptop-Handheld-Video-Game/32763943930.html

It's quite easy replacement process. Just need to be a bit careful and be gentle with it. I'm more afraid of the very delicate and small cable/plug though. I use my nails to pry the screen open.

I should've return the device that day, but I've purchased the screen, since only the digitizer went crazy on me.

After that done, I'm struggling with the driver crashes for awhile, then decided to return my device because of this problem.

So far their after sales is great on my device return.

Point is, just ask for a return first.

As long as you don't broke your device physically (dropped it or something like that). In your case, you've shattered your screen... so...

Aliexpress shipping is quite good. Probably will took 3 weeks or so. I got my orders from there for about 2-3 weeks, using aliexpress standard shipping.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 10:41:20 am by exorio »

MartiusR

« Reply #679 on: May 28, 2017, 06:26:35 pm »
I've recently had an odd case with my GPD Win - keyboard, which was previously fully functional, now completely stopped working. Only buttons on the right side (power, sound etc.) are working. To be honest, I don't know when exactly this started to happen, because I was quite rare using keyboard. Which is even more odd, because all controlers (d-pad, sticks, ABXY buttons, shoulder buttons) were used far more often and up to this day they're working fine).

Is that possible, that by accident I've touched some button/combination which completely turned off keyboard? If not - is there some solution for this issue? I've never opened my GPD Win unit, so I couldn't broken something by accident (I've also never dropped it or hit it).

zdanee

« Reply #680 on: May 28, 2017, 09:31:46 pm »
I've recently had an odd case with my GPD Win - keyboard, which was previously fully functional, now completely stopped working. Only buttons on the right side (power, sound etc.) are working. To be honest, I don't know when exactly this started to happen, because I was quite rare using keyboard. Which is even more odd, because all controlers (d-pad, sticks, ABXY buttons, shoulder buttons) were used far more often and up to this day they're working fine).

Is that possible, that by accident I've touched some button/combination which completely turned off keyboard? If not - is there some solution for this issue? I've never opened my GPD Win unit, so I couldn't broken something by accident (I've also never dropped it or hit it).

This happened to my unit once. I had to return it to GPD. But there were other people with this issue too, and for some of them the keyboard just started to work again without doing anything.
Cube i7 Stylus + GPD Win

Piece_Maker

« Reply #681 on: May 31, 2017, 12:51:34 am »
My touchscreen has completely quit on me - when it first went, I actually left it off for a day and came back to find it working, but this time it seems like it's gone for good. 

It doesn't work under Linux either (Which usually supports it just fine), so doesn't seem to be a Windows driver problem. 

I did make some BIOS tweaks but have since reset them to defaults just to see if it helps, but no dice there either. 

I understand there's a way to pull the screen off and plug the touchscreen back in - my device is the aluminium shell version, and so the video I saw demonstrating this seems to be different to how I'd have to do it - can someone verify how to do this with the aluminium backed Win so I can give this a try? 

Alternatively, is there anything else I can try to troubleshoot this? 

Here's a strange one. The touchscreen doesn't show up in Xinput under Linux, however it *does* show in device manager in Windows, so maybe there is some hope!

tak

« Reply #682 on: June 03, 2017, 05:35:32 pm »
Basically, I cannot charge my GPD Win on AC power.

Just picked up my GPD Win yesterday. Started Windows update. Noticed power was low, so I plugged in the AC charger and the light went on. I left it alone to update. Came back and the unit was off completely. Couldn't power back on. Tested a combination of chargers and power bank.

SUMMARY OF RESULTS:
GPD Win to GPD AC Charger; FAILED (Not charging most times, no LED) **
GPD Win to Apple AC Charger (1A output); FAILED (Never charged once, no LED)
GPD Win to Power Bank (2.1A and 1.0 A); PASSED (Charging, Orange/Blue LEDs every time)
GPD Win to Power Bank (off?) to GPD AC Charger; PASSED (Charging, Orange/Blue LEDs everytime)
*Used GPD's provided USB-c cable for the tests above
**I think, but I'm not sure some cases the unit started charging if I left it alone for a while but it stopped charging within minutes

Based on this I don't think there's a problem with the in-box usb cable or the AC charger. I've tried to change Windows power configurations and reinstall the battery charging driver (no success). I have not removed the battery, nor done any bios setting changes. Not sure if these would do anything.

Also my Windows Key will not activate and appears to be in use already (Is my unit refurbished? How can I tell? :S)

zdanee

« Reply #683 on: June 03, 2017, 06:33:40 pm »
Basically, I cannot charge my GPD Win on AC power.

Just picked up my GPD Win yesterday. Started Windows update. Noticed power was low, so I plugged in the AC charger and the light went on. I left it alone to update. Came back and the unit was off completely. Couldn't power back on. Tested a combination of chargers and power bank.

SUMMARY OF RESULTS:
GPD Win to GPD AC Charger; FAILED (Not charging most times, no LED) **
GPD Win to Apple AC Charger (1A output); FAILED (Never charged once, no LED)
GPD Win to Power Bank (2.1A and 1.0 A); PASSED (Charging, Orange/Blue LEDs every time)
GPD Win to Power Bank (off?) to GPD AC Charger; PASSED (Charging, Orange/Blue LEDs everytime)
*Used GPD's provided USB-c cable for the tests above
**I think, but I'm not sure some cases the unit started charging if I left it alone for a while but it stopped charging within minutes

Based on this I don't think there's a problem with the in-box usb cable or the AC charger. I've tried to change Windows power configurations and reinstall the battery charging driver (no success). I have not removed the battery, nor done any bios setting changes. Not sure if these would do anything.

Also my Windows Key will not activate and appears to be in use already (Is my unit refurbished? How can I tell? :S)

- Ask the seller for a new Windows key (or ask $25ish back and use a pirated version?).
- I would advise against the factory charger, I rarely ever use it. Most Chinese manufacturers still haven't figured out how to make a decent charger. Use an iPad charger or something from a reliable brand. The Google Pixel chargers are also good too. Basically if it can squeeze out 2.1A @ 5V or better, you're good to go. My decade old Nokia N900 charger works too (with an USB-C adapter).
Cube i7 Stylus + GPD Win

tak

« Reply #684 on: June 03, 2017, 08:41:48 pm »
- Ask the seller for a new Windows key (or ask $25ish back and use a pirated version?).
- I would advise against the factory charger, I rarely ever use it. Most Chinese manufacturers still haven't figured out how to make a decent charger. Use an iPad charger or something from a reliable brand. The Google Pixel chargers are also good too. Basically if it can squeeze out 2.1A @ 5V or better, you're good to go. My decade old Nokia N900 charger works too (with an USB-C adapter).

Thanks for the input. You're correct. I overlooked that my power bank was stepping up my current when I tested it in series with the GPD supplied AC charger. I guess my GPD AC charger is not supplying the amperage I need because a Sony 1.5A charge is enough to start charging my GPD Win. Thanks Zdanee and WTF GPD...

pantwi

« Reply #685 on: June 04, 2017, 05:19:11 pm »
I made an account here as an absolute last resort to get my GPD Win working again. I have looked over every single help topic that exists that I can possibly Google search. I have looked over every seemingly related topic I can find on every single forum I can look at. I have googled a hundred times any possible help I can get, and still cannot at all for the life of me find any possible way to either get the touchscreen working, or get a replacement touchscreen. I am at my wit's end, about ready to give up, and just stop using this computer and wait for some kind of similar thing in the future, even though I was really excited that this computer had come out to the public. I've only owned this machine for 4 months, and it's really not fair that there's no clear place to go to for support, no clear point of contact, not a lot of reported success from anyone else who has a broken machine.

The touch function on my Win stopped working about two weeks ago. I have tried everything I can think of that I know how to do to get it working again and it absolutely will not work. At this point I'll try to list off everything I did but may have forgotten a few things. It doesn't matter if the computer is on battery or plugged in with any of these troubleshooting steps.

- Restarted hundreds of times. I've shut down, sleep, hibernated, left the device off for an hour before turning it on. None will work.
 - I've gone into the power options and turned off every single option related to saving battery power. I've disabled battery saving of any kind in my graphics drivers options, in settings, and device manager.
 - I have rotated the screen on the device every single rotation, and restarted the computer in that rotation. It is useless.
 - I have plugged the computer into a monitor, as one person said it worked for them, and rebooted while plugged into the monitor. It doesn't do anything.
 - I downloaded every single Windows update that was available and have kept it up to date since in the hopes that an update will fix the issue. Analog mouse works, USB mice work, keyboard works, every single accessory works except for the touch screen.
 - I attempted to turn off the service related to touch and re-enable it several times and that does nothing.
 - I downloaded the driver pack on one of the help topics in this forum and tried reinstalling all of the drivers. The drivers install successfully but still do not work. I have disabled the Goodix touch drivers, the USB touch drivers, the HID compliant drivers, all drivers related to touch, and attempted to reinstall them. Again they install successfully but it will not work.
 - I downloaded the ~6GB firmware update from one of the help topics. But really am not familiar with working in the BIOS. I'm not so new to computers but I'm not good at working in the BIOS and I'd need more explanation on how to work with it. So far no resource on the internet can explain how to work with the BIOS on this particular computer. I also don't know if there are any other drivers out there that would work with this machine as I just don't know much about how it's put together.
 - There are no restore points for me to go back to in order to try enabling the touch drivers again.
 - One help topic said to pry the screen off of the computer, and reseat the cable going into the small screen. I was able to do that successfully the first time and this did not change it or help it. However, I attempted to do it again and ended up shattering the screen, so now I need a new screen regardless and can't find a single link as to where they are sold, if anywhere. One person on this forum reported buying a new one but I don't know where he managed to find it.

I'll try anything I can that anyone can recommend, but I have to get a replacement touch screen from somewhere even if I can get the touch fixed because I have now shattered the screen attempting to pry it off a second time in the hopes that disconnecting/reconnecting the strip to the main board would work. I have Googled and searched on every website related to the GPD Win and all I can find are reviews and sales of machines and replacement buttons, I cannot find anywhere that sells replacement screens, and don't know how much they'd be anyway. I just want a working computer. I don't have a lot of money to blow on buying an entire replacement machine or huge international shipping costs or repair fees. I don't know if there's any kind of warranty or any possible chance this thing could be repaired. Please if anyone can help, if anyone can recommend anything, if there's any possible hope I can get this computer to its original working condition again, please let me know.

Kind of sucky that this has happened granted the price for the device.
I was considering picking up a WIN but dont think the price is justifiable.
There arent many efficient support options for this and to get a fix/replacement
you have to pay alot to ship back and etc. Thats why I think purchasing these chinese
devices sucks. This company has made alot from us and they can credit this forum for its
success but the customer service is lacking and we need more contacts in the US/Canada
to provide efficient support.

Also these devices are too highly priced! like come on they are coming from China for god sakes.
Direct from manufacture but they upsale because they know western world will buy regardless.
Think about it at the price of this device you can get a xbox one , ps4 or switch and would get better support
and a much more stable device. Just an opinion. I think this forum needs to rally up and tell GPD to lower price
expecially since there is no guarantee that devices will last.

zdanee

« Reply #686 on: June 04, 2017, 07:10:28 pm »
[...]

Also these devices are too highly priced! like come on they are coming from China for god sakes.
Direct from manufacture but they upsale because they know western world will buy regardless.
Think about it at the price of this device you can get a xbox one , ps4 or switch and would get better support
and a much more stable device. Just an opinion. I think this forum needs to rally up and tell GPD to lower price
expecially since there is no guarantee that devices will last.

Everyone would love a pocketable PC that can run Horizon:ZeroDawn for 6 hours on battery and to buy it for $150. Sadly it's not how it works.
- PS4, XBone and the Switch are priced below the cost to produce them. They can do this, because if you buy a home console, you'll be also buying games for it. There is virtually no piracy for current-gen home consoles, so manufacturers get their money back on shares of the game's cost. Sure, in a few years, when sales are up, and parts become cheaper, they can produce the same console for less and sell it for the same money (slim versions), so eventually they don't sell the machines at a loss too, but a $250 PS4 costs more than $250.
- Secondly, the Win is a niche product. GPD can never sell 1 million units, not because of the price but because there is not enough people willing to bother. Therefore they produce smaller volumes (thousands or maybe tens of thousands) which means production cost is higher. They get the same parts more expensive than Sony or MS.
- The Win is also a new product category, so GPD don't only have to pay for the parts, they have to design a new kind of product too. This costs more than designing a 100th Android device.
- Third, the Win has no competitor. GPD can ask for $1000 for it, and someone would still buy it, because there are no alternatives. Maybe in 2018 we'll have the Smach Z and the Switch is somewhat a competing system although very different, but right now, today if you want that the Win does, you'll pay $330 or $450 or whatever. In this regard the current pricing is totally reasonable IMHO, it's a full notebook in a pocketable form, with extras such as the integrated gamepad, while it costs about as much as a chromebook or a very basic office notebook.

Everyone would be happy if they could get something cheaper, but I also want to GPD to stick around and design more machines, and they need to make money for that. Would you give up on the future of the Win to buy it $50 cheaper?
Cube i7 Stylus + GPD Win

Evil1

« Reply #687 on: June 07, 2017, 10:34:56 am »
I have had my GPD Win for a couple of months now and it has been working fine until this morning.
It was fully charged and had been powered off for a week, went to power it on this morning and the backlight came on (no picture) and the LED went red and then the power went off. I stuck it on to charge but the LED remained blue (not purple). Anyway after being on "charge" for a few hours I tried to switch the unit on and the backlight comes on (still no picture) and no LED light, I thought it was goosed but 2 minutes later I heard the Windows boot sound. I used Teamviewer to connect to the GPD Win and managed to verify that all drivers are installed ok and that the touch screen is working (e.g. I can see the mouse pointer move in Teamviewer when I use the touchscreen on the GPD).
I connected an HDMI cable to my TV and rebooted the GPD and entered the BIOS, I reset the BIOS to defaults and rebooted (still no image on the GPD Win). As it stands I cannot get an image on the internal GPD Win display. When I power on the GPD Win the LED turns blue for a second and then the LED goes off, I can see the backlight is working but the LED remains powered off, 2 minutes later Windows loads but the LED remains off and the backlight remains on without an image. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:39:05 am by Evil1 »

zdanee

« Reply #688 on: June 07, 2017, 11:14:17 am »
I have had my GPD Win for a couple of months now and it has been working fine until this morning.
It was fully charged and had been powered off for a week, went to power it on this morning and the backlight came on (no picture) and the LED went red and then the power went off. I stuck it on to charge but the LED remained blue (not purple). Anyway after being on "charge" for a few hours I tried to switch the unit on and the backlight comes on (still no picture) and no LED light, I thought it was goosed but 2 minutes later I heard the Windows boot sound. I used Teamviewer to connect to the GPD Win and managed to verify that all drivers are installed ok and that the touch screen is working (e.g. I can see the mouse pointer move in Teamviewer when I use the touchscreen on the GPD).
I connected an HDMI cable to my TV and rebooted the GPD and entered the BIOS, I reset the BIOS to defaults and rebooted (still no image on the GPD Win). As it stands I cannot get an image on the internal GPD Win display. When I power on the GPD Win the LED turns blue for a second and then the LED goes off, I can see the backlight is working but the LED remains powered off, 2 minutes later Windows loads but the LED remains off and the backlight remains on without an image. Any suggestions?

Sounds like the flex-cable went south. The LED is off when the unit is fully charged (or at least when the unit thinks it's fully charged). Did you disassemble the unit at one point? Try to apply a bit pressure at the bezel to see if picture appears then. If it does, you'll need a new flex-cable. You'll most likely need to send it back to GPD, since it's a typical warranty issue. You can get a new screen as well, but it would cost more than posting it and you'd have to wait almost as much as posting it to GPD.
Cube i7 Stylus + GPD Win

Evil1

« Reply #689 on: June 07, 2017, 11:33:09 am »
Thanks for the reply, I have not disassembled the unit at all. Strange that it was working fine the last time I powered it off and it has not moved from where I initially left it, but now no display!, unless like you say the flex cable has come loose just by flipping open the screen. Just tried applying pressure at different points on the screen and cannot get an image to display hmm.
Only other thing I can think of is that the last time I used it I plugged a USB C -> VGA adapter in and had a secondary screen extended, perhaps it has got confused!

Post a new topic