Author Topic: [Update] The Newest GPD Pocket with Z8750 CPU Windows 10 System  (Read 9184 times)

Geekbuying (OP)

• * Confirmed Reseller
    • GeekBuying
[Update] The Newest GPD Pocket with Z8750 CPU Windows 10 System
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:59:37 am »
According to reportly,the GPD gamepad manufacture is preparing their new 7inch win10 mini notebook,it's named GPD pocket.The mini notebook pre-install Windows 10 home edition and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system ,equipped with Intel Atom X7-Z8700 Cherry Trial processor,1080P touch screen.

GPD Pocket first look hands- on review updated

wow,I found the GPD Pocket link from geekbuying online store.But it looks a bit little expensive. It priced at $499

Highlights

CPU:Atom Z8750
RAM:4GB
ROM:128GB
Screen: 7inch 1920*1080IPS,One glass solution, gorilla glass 3, support multi-touch
Battery:7000mAH
Network:Wireless 802.11 A/Ac/ B/G/N WLAN, Bluetooth 4.1
Port: USB Type-C, USB- A (USB3.0), mini HDMI, microSD card slot,audio jack.
Weight:365g
Shell material: aviation aluminum
Cooling: air cooling

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:03:32 am by Geekbuying »
iPega PG-9500, iPega PG-9700, JXD S7800B,GPD G7,GPD G5A,MUCH I5 all in stock!

SONY

• !
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

fishwilson

Re: The Newest GPD Pocket with Z8750 CPU Windows 10 System
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:20:52 pm »
Would be fun to actually install OSX on this...... 8)

MacGnG

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 09:26:50 am »
Would be fun to actually install OSX on this...... 8)

YES!

nex86

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 07:08:38 pm »
holy crap they already made great progress with this.

Smoker1

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 08:27:38 pm »
The Nub and 128GB would have been better for the GPD Win. With the Nub, then you could have a Switch for 1 of 2 Controller Modes ALWAYS ON and still have a Mouse.

dubsmachine

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 11:56:13 am »
Progress happened fast on this, I guess they were developing it at the same time as GPD Win and maybe dual focus and testing caused some of the issues we had there.

mycraftisbest

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 02:10:24 am »
Progress happened fast on this, I guess they were developing it at the same time as GPD Win and maybe dual focus and testing caused some of the issues we had there.

If you ask me, this is an afterthought. The fast progress is likely because the chipset is the same. It's using the same CPU (including inconsistent reports of Z8700 and Z8750) and even has the same amount of RAM and ports. This is like taking the motherboard out of one case and putting it into another while upgrading the monitor and getting a new keyboard at the same time. Performance wise everything should run about the same except look a bit nicer (and feel a bit nicer as a everyday use item).

They also ditched the controllers for a more standard design, but it's not like developing a keyboard and existing pointer device is as hard as starting from scratch (it's like moving a desktop and just connecting it up differently). This is just a more thought out GPD Win that had time to improve the cooling of the CPU without needing to tack on a fan as well as listing to criticisms like lack of a middle click.

So they didn't really have to develop anything major, they already had the basic components and just changed the interface devices (Screen, Mouse, Keyboard, Case) which is a much faster process. I'm not going to fault GPD for modifying existing hardware to target multiple markets, but that's all I can really see this new computer as.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 02:12:49 am by mycraftisbest »
If your reading this, than you have reached the bottom of the post.

QuantumZIM

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 02:58:52 am »
This machine will be perfect if they can get proper cooling.  What does air cooling mean?  I hope it means that it is going to have really good fan cooling, because of it thermal throttles the second you run anything, then its going to be worthless.

cmvrgr

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 10:00:51 pm »
need a better CPU, 4g integration. I hope to hear us this time.
UMPC Devices or Small Sized Windows Computer: Gigabyte M704, OQO, Viliv N5, GPD WIN

jmthomas87

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 09:40:48 pm »
A newer Celeron CPU would have been a better choice. Better performance, less heat, more USB/PCI ports available with the chipsets. The Atoms are 2+ year old tech. 

4Gb of RAM is fair, but 6Gb or 8GB would have been a better baseline. 

Is the 128Gb storage a EMMC or an actual SSD?  Hopefully a SSD, a m.2-2242 drive would be the right size to make this a good little business traveler.

I like the port layout as is, though another USB-C port on the other side would be useful.  4G-LTE would be nice, even just having an access port on the back to a half-sized PCI slot would be a plus, then a person could add whatever LTE card works in their country.  Would just need to be able to add the antenna by opening up the back or have an antenna pre-installed with a standard connector.

Like the screen and keyboard layout.  Just the price is a bit up there for what you are getting as far as hardware compared to even a one-year old 11.5" laptop.

GrimyHR

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 10:16:41 pm »
A newer Celeron CPU would have been a better choice. Better performance, less heat, more USB/PCI ports available with the chipsets. The Atoms are 2+ year old tech. 

Is the 128Gb storage a EMMC or an actual SSD?  Hopefully a SSD, a m.2-2242 drive would be the right size to make this a good little business traveler.

I like the port layout as is, though another USB-C port on the other side would be useful.  4G-LTE would be nice, even just having an access port on the back to a half-sized PCI slot would be a plus, then a person could add whatever LTE card works in their country.  Would just need to be able to add the antenna by opening up the back or have an antenna pre-installed with a standard connector.

Like the screen and keyboard layout.  Just the price is a bit up there for what you are getting as far as hardware compared to even a one-year old 11.5" laptop.

so, im sorry but you have absolutely no fucking clue what you are talking about, 6w cpu does not fucking run cooler than a 3-4w cpu, in fact, it runs fucking hotter, not to mention that cheapest mobile celeron costs 3 times as this atom

SONY

• !
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 10:51:40 pm »

so, im sorry but you have absolutely no fucking clue what you are talking about, 6w cpu does not fucking run cooler than a 3-4w cpu, in fact, it runs fucking hotter, not to mention that cheapest mobile celeron costs 3 times as this atom

Take it easy, mate. No need for profanities. We're all friends here.

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

jmthomas87

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 10:53:11 pm »

Acutally, 1) you don't know what you are talking about and 2) You need your mouth washed out with soap.

The N3450 has a TDP of 6W, but a SDP of 4W.  If you don't know what those two parameters are, I suggest you learn or keep quiet.

As far as cost, yes, the Atom is $37 per unit while the N3450 is $107, but for what you are getting as far as improved battery life due to a lower base frequency, better graphics (HD 500 vs HD 405) higher graphics burst frequency (700 MHZ vs 600 Mhz), more PCI configurations available, so it is worth it.  It also can run a higher frequency memory bus.

Yes, it is a bigger chip physically, so will run about 15 degrees warmer, but that is a full bore all cores maxed out situation, but it should run a bit longer before thermal throttling engages if cooled properly due to the increased surface area for air to move across. 

Is it perfect?  Maybe, maybe not, but it will still beat the Atom in real world operations that this device is designed for, which is NOT FOR GAMING, but for a small, handy business/travel focused UMPC.

GrimyHR

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 10:56:05 pm »

Acutally, 1) you don't know what you are talking about and 2) You need your mouth washed out with soap.

The N3450 has a TDP of 6W, but a SDP of 4W.  If you don't know what those two parameters are, I suggest you learn or keep quiet.

As far as cost, yes, the Atom is $37 per unit while the N3450 is $107, but for what you are getting as far as improved battery life due to a lower base frequency, better graphics (HD 500 vs HD 405) higher graphics burst frequency (700 MHZ vs 600 Mhz), more PCI configurations available, so it is worth it.  It also can run a higher frequency memory bus.

Yes, it is a bigger chip physically, so will run about 15 degrees warmer, but that is a full bore all cores maxed out situation, but it should run a bit longer before thermal throttling engages if cooled properly due to the increased surface area for air to move across. 

Is it perfect?  Maybe, maybe not, but it will still beat the Atom in real world operations that this device is designed for, which is NOT FOR GAMING, but for a small, handy business/travel focused UMPC.
atom has an sdp of 2w btw, and just by mentioning sdp you show how clueless you are since that is intels bullshit number

jmthomas87

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 11:01:37 pm »

atom has an sdp of 2w btw, and just by mentioning sdp you show how clueless you are since that is intels bullshit number

I work with engineers every day.  I will take their word as far as design parameters and specs over some know-it-all on the internet. 

If the engineers at Intel are willing to publish that as a design spec, I would design work within that parameter.

GrimyHR

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 11:11:04 pm »

I work with engineers every day.  I will take their word as far as design parameters and specs over some know-it-all on the internet. 

If the engineers at Intel are willing to publish that as a design spec, I would design work within that parameter.
dude, intels low powered cpus are known for going well over their intel published tdp when on full load, and sdp is a number that means nothing, it is based on some intels arbitrary decided "average" usage

puting anything stronger than an atom in this device would mean that you would have to undervolt and underclock the cpu to get anything more than an hour out of it

SONY

• !
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 06:11:56 am »
Where's @monstercameron when you need him?

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

CampGareth

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 09:40:09 am »

How's about trusting their devices then? I'm sat here with a GPD Win watching the package draw with hwinfo64, running prime95 to stress the CPU.

CPU package power: 5.885W
IA (CPU) cores power: 2.359W
GT (GPU) cores power: 3.649W

Not sure why the GPU's spun up, but yaaay we're hitting their 6W TDP with a purely CPU based load. Sorry but the SDP numbers are rubbish, TDP is at least vaguely accurate for sustained loads.

On the topic of Intel being trustworthy I've learnt that they're not but usually in small ways that are verifiable yourself. Got a laptop with an Intel HD 4000? That GPU supports HDMI 1.4 so can drive a 4K display at 30Hz, so say the specs. Great! Now actually try it. Oh it doesn't work? That's because it doesn't actually support HDMI 1.4's clock speed, just all the frilly bits. It actually only has HDMI 1.2's clock speed so will only drive a 1080p display, any higher (2560x1440 @ 60hz say) and it can't push a signal fast enough. That sucked hard and I would have known to wait a generation if Intel were more forthcoming with that info.

jmthomas87

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 12:40:52 pm »
OK, fine guys, points made, you win.

I am out of here.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk