Author Topic: The indiegogo campaign for GPD Pocket is started now  (Read 13233 times)

opke

Re: The indiegogo campaign for GPD Pocket is started now
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2017, 12:32:43 pm »
I know. They are a startup and this is a crowdfunding campaign.

At least their aim is becoming clear and I (mostly) love it. If the first one is too unstable or even unusable, then I would buy one again :)

I asked some questions here but it seems most of my doubts have been cleared up with replies to comments on Indiegogo posted afterwards.

- Recovery images and drivers will be available on the internet. Ubuntu drivers will work on other distros. However, they will be distributed as binaries -- really bad news for me! I hope it will be reconsidered.

- Indiegogo batch of GPD Pocket will also receive the certification required by Japanese law.

Now I have no reason to hesitate backing.

Keep up the great work, GPD!
Pal, the after sale service is awful, you should consider twice before backing, and you better buy from a reseller with a good after sale service.

MJPIA

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2017, 04:24:42 pm »
Crossed over 1 million.
The thirst is real.
Soo because I always find this data interesting 1703 JD (China only I think) units $460,538, 1232 Makuake (Japan) $483,047, 2093 Indiegogo (worldwide, mostly Japan and USA though) $654,943 for a total of 5028'ish units and $1,598,528 plus authorized third party resellers that have it up for preorder.
These are numbers I had from August for the Win.
Will be interesting to see where this and their Chinese campaign ends up.
Have they mentioned anything about doing a Makuake campaign as well?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:26:17 pm by MJPIA »

vcoleiro1

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2017, 08:47:45 pm »
Crossed over 1 million.
The thirst is real.
Soo because I always find this data interesting 1703 JD (China only I think) units $460,538, 1232 Makuake (Japan) $483,047, 2093 Indiegogo (worldwide, mostly Japan and USA though) $654,943 for a total of 5028'ish units and $1,598,528 plus authorized third party resellers that have it up for preorder.

They have not mentioned a Makuake campaign yet, but I suspect that will happen . The company that ran that Makuake campaign last time - Midori Electric - were the ones that did the Japanese certification which they will need again for the Pocket

Saber

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2017, 01:05:39 am »
The campaign is a rousing success at over a million raised(so far) in just two days. They did everything reasonably prudent this time and by keeping the price tag low enough, the people supported their hard work in droves. A bright future ahead for what's to come. 8)

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2017, 08:00:16 am »
Crossed over 1 million.
The thirst is real.

They have not mentioned a Makuake campaign yet, but I suspect that will happen . The company that ran that Makuake campaign last time - Midori Electric - were the ones that did the Japanese certification which they will need again for the Pocket

If you just go through the list of backers most seem to have Japanese surnames (more so than for the GPD WIN).

rhx

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2017, 08:08:38 am »
If you just go through the list of backers most seem to have Japanese surnames (more so than for the GPD WIN).

I think the VAIO P was most popular in Japan, and this is the closest we are going to get to a VAIO P successor.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2017, 08:20:05 am »
Crossed over 1 million.
The thirst is real.

As was mentioned at the time of the GPD WIN campaign. Over 60% of backers for the GPD WIN were from Japan.  That's why I had predicted before the Pocket Indiegogo campaign started, that the Japanese would be mad for it.  We already knew they were mad for UMPCs following the GPD WIN campaign.

I don't know if the Pocket actually does have more than GPD WINs (60%) japanese backers.  Id like to see that country breakdown stat for the GPD Pocket.  Hopefully GPD publish it as they did for the GPD WIN.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:28:32 am by vcoleiro1 »

Saber

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2017, 11:30:26 am »
As was mentioned at the time of the GPD WIN campaign. Over 60% of backers for the GPD WIN were from Japan.  That's why I had predicted before the Pocket Indiegogo campaign started, that the Japanese would be mad for it.  We already knew they were mad for UMPCs following the GPD WIN campaign.

I don't know if the Pocket actually does have more than GPD WINs (60%) japanese backers.  Id like to see that country breakdown stat for the GPD Pocket.  Hopefully GPD publish it as they did for the GPD WIN.
I wonder what handheld sales in general are for the Japanese market, XD included. It could be the affinity for smallish things is a reactive measure for making room for all the collectibles someone would cache in a small place, or maybe the Japanese generally are more fashion forward than the rest of us. :)

mickael28

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2017, 03:26:41 pm »

Out of curiosity, do you guys know why these items were so popular in Japan and so unpopular in the rest of the world? ie, I always liked the idea of a mini-computer which allowed you to do things on the go, whilst commuting, travelling, etc, however, I was the only one amongst my friends and family, which didn't quite get the point of such a need? It always puzzled me that the didn't see it as useful as I saw it... I couldn't get it.

I was wondering if someone has read about why these items have always clicked with the Japanese market?

MOFO

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2017, 03:40:19 pm »
Any word if it will have dual boot with aneroid?
Ubuntu is good for those that want it, but I'd rather go with android.

Saber

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2017, 11:02:14 pm »
Out of curiosity, do you guys know why these items were so popular in Japan and so unpopular in the rest of the world? ie, I always liked the idea of a mini-computer which allowed you to do things on the go, whilst commuting, travelling, etc, however, I was the only one amongst my friends and family, which didn't quite get the point of such a need? It always puzzled me that the didn't see it as useful as I saw it... I couldn't get it.

I was wondering if someone has read about why these items have always clicked with the Japanese market?
More of an impression than firsthand statistical knowledge but I believe the Japanese look at UMPC's as cutting edge, being that so much is crammed into a tiny package yet still able to mimic a larger machine(older computers dimensions used to be quantified in meters). There's a hint of futurism at seeing a miniaturized PC.

Saber

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2017, 11:08:36 pm »
Any word if it will have dual boot with aneroid?
Ubuntu is good for those that want it, but I'd rather go with android.
There hasn't been anything official unfortunately. There was some discussion of Android emulation in this thread though: http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-windows-devices/android-(emulated)-on-the-gpd-win/.

I haven't delved into the specifics or made an exhaustive search on the topic but Remix OS is an option and this as well:
http://www.amiduos.com

Faust

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2017, 12:13:16 am »
It's quite funny, everyone seem to forget how shitty their customer service is, there is still lots of people waiting for GPD to fix all the problems they are keep ignoring, to make the GPD WIN Windows version, the major update, etc...

A new machine and suddenly GPD is the best, everyone is praising its name, or even defending it, what a pity.

I won't feel sorry for the people who are backing the Indiegogo campaign when they will have problems and they will have to pay the shipping to China, with all the hassle.

Seriously...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:15:18 am by Faust »

opke

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2017, 12:48:39 am »
I'm Japanese but have no idea why we Japanese love these items so much. Some people say the concept of wabi-sabi might have to do with it...

vcoleiro1

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2017, 01:02:25 am »
Caucasians are not into small things as much as Japanes becuase, as was said in the movie "Crazy People"

Caucasians are just too damn tall

Post a new topic
Post a new topic