Author Topic: The indiegogo campaign for GPD Pocket is started now  (Read 13198 times)

mickael28

Re: The indiegogo campaign for GPD Pocket is started now
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 12:15:59 pm »
Pocket has a Type C interface which provides the body with power supply. In fact, Type C interface’s expandable peripherals are very rich.

Hi, I was wondering... if the type C port is used for power, would it be somehow possible to use that port for a different use whilst the device is being charged? How could we achieve that?

You can use a Type C hub to achieve that.

But on the Type C hub I saw there's a single type C port, isn't it? so, if that port is used for charging the device, where could one connect an external type C device at the same time?

Saber

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 12:59:00 pm »
Pocket has a Type C interface which provides the body with power supply. In fact, Type C interface’s expandable peripherals are very rich.

Hi, I was wondering... if the type C port is used for power, would it be somehow possible to use that port for a different use whilst the device is being charged? How could we achieve that?

But on the Type C hub I saw there's a single type C port, isn't it? so, if that port is used for charging the device, where could one connect an external type C device at the same time?
If I may interject, there are several hubs out there(or soon will be) with Type C passthrough. Although expensive, this is a nifty one: http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/10/28/13453274/arc-hub-bourge-design-usb-c-port-apple-macbook
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:17:18 pm by Saber »

rhx

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 01:52:27 pm »

Will it work with standard USB-C hubs or only the one in the Indegogo? (please ensure GPD Pocket implements USB-PD 2.0+)

The implementation of the Type-C Port on the GPD WIN does not work properly with things like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LZKFOWG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It would be awesome if the port can properly provide 15W as it should be able to so I could use an ASUS MB169C+ with the Pocket.

Have backed, looking forward to my unit!

Saber

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 02:40:13 pm »
Alternative Type C hub with tentative passthrough charging capability:
http://plugable.com/products/usbc-hub3p/

Company has an abundance of peripherals to choose from. 

rhx

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 03:15:13 pm »

Thanks Saber, I am a big USB-C fan, my concern is more GPD not implemeting the port properly (as on the WIN) rather than the availability of products.

The issue is the WIN appears to use propriety (or no) signaling rather than USB PD packets to negotiate high current draw. I'm hoping the Pocket does not have the same issues and uses a proper Type-C PD controller and mux.

Phawx

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 04:54:57 pm »
I'm glad that GPD issued a statement that IGG backers will get first shipment.  I don't have much interest in the device because of it's lack of gaming controls, but it looks like GPD is off to a good start already.

Looks like people that want a straight UMPC are going to get a pretty decent device.

Pintek

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 05:07:12 pm »
I extremely doubt IGG backers will get the pocket first I mean wasn't the IGG backers supposed to get first dibs with the win? and that didn't happen correctly at all!

monstercameron

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 08:29:58 pm »
I do wish gpd good luck, and hopefully they will keep making interesting devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psj

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 09:40:47 pm »
Hi guys,
            Congrats on having a very successful indiegogo campaign! I wanted to know whether the keyboard is backlit ? Like everybody has mentioned, it would be great to have 8 gb RAM in the device and we are eagerly waiting for this to be confirmed. :)

opke

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 10:10:31 pm »
Hello Kendy,

Congratulations on reaching the funding goal -- and now have arrived at 200%!

I have 2 questions on GPD Pocket.

1. Wade on the Indiegogo project page wrote that GPD Pocket with Ubuntu will comes with newly developed customized driver(s). I want to know more about them, e.g. which drivers are customized or will be customized? What license (such as GPLv2, v3, Apache, or proprietary) will be applied to the customized drivers? Is it possible to install Ubuntu on GPD Pocket with Windows? How about other Linux distributions?

2. In Statement section of the Indiegogo page it is written that "Some of the international certifications required for this product may be provided when the product officially appears on the market such as the certifications of Japanese Radio Law and Telecommunications Act". Does this mean the certification required by Japanese law will valid only for future mass market batches, or other plans?

Thank you.

mickael28

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 10:23:59 pm »
If I may interject, there are several hubs out there(or soon will be) with Type C passthrough. Although expensive, this is a nifty one: http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/10/28/13453274/arc-hub-bourge-design-usb-c-port-apple-macbook

Expensive indeed, $120 for the hub. Besides it is in preorder status still, it might not even work properly when/if delivered.

This doesn't seem to expand on type-C ports though. You use your type-C port and get 3 USB ports. But if you have other type-C devices, you're out of luck and this hub is of not usage in that case.

The implementation of the Type-C Port on the GPD WIN does not work properly with things like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LZKFOWG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What is the practical issue that you get if you try to connect the GPD WIN to your ASUS MB169C+ monitor via the type-C port with that adapter?

vcoleiro1

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 06:48:56 am »
The GPD Pocket has been upgraded to 8GB RAM. Below is the last Indiegogo update abut it

"Dear Backer

Here is a really good news for you guys.As many backers suggestion.We finally decide to upgrade the 4G RAM to 8G for free,Memory type is still LPDDR3-1600"

Willburn

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 07:13:08 am »
Damn, wish they would have done that to the win  ???

rhx

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2017, 08:23:44 am »
What is the practical issue that you get if you try to connect the GPD WIN to your ASUS MB169C+ monitor via the type-C port with that adapter?

I do not own a MB169C+ yet, but I have tried 3 USB-C powered video devices and they all have the same issue - nothing works, the charging LED comes on, and windows plays the hardware connected/disconnected sounds over and over again.

I believe this is because the power circuitry cannot provide the full 15W that Type-C should, and also because there is no USB-PD2 on the WIN.

If the WIN cannot power a USB-C to DisplayPort or USB-C to HDMI, the chance of it powering a USB-C monitor is slim to none.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 08:50:50 am »
Along with upgrading the RAM to 8GB, they have also upgraded the SOC to the Z8750

Latest Indiegogo update:

"Dear Backer

Along with the RAM upgrade.We decide to upgrade the CPU from Z8700 to Z8750.Double surprise.^^"