Author Topic: New suggestion for fixing driver chrashes  (Read 5675 times)

eragon2890 (OP)

New suggestion for fixing driver chrashes
« on: November 12, 2016, 01:27:16 pm »
Guys, I just had a thought, I very very rarely get driver crashes. But so far they have been in games (which play superbly overall) which use all cores. Not in quake 4, which is single threaded. The crux may be that some systems not crash when 3d games are played, but when super heavy games are played.

Maybe this is a stupid idea, but could you guys who are being driven insane by these crashes/short lockups try to lower the CPU affinity to 3 cores instead of all 4 for that gmae in task manager? That would leave one core free for any background checks that come up.

I think it's worth trying.

Alien Grey

Re: New suggestion for fixing driver chrashes
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 02:19:44 pm »
Not in quake 4, which is single threaded.

Quake 4 isn't just single threaded. Open the Quake4Config.cfg file with a text editor and look for seta r_useSMP "0". Change it to seta r_useSMP "1". This enables multi core support in Quake 4. Make sure Quake 4 is updated with the latest update patch.  ;)
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

eragon2890 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 04:13:21 pm »
so, so far i have been playing quake 4 nonstop for 1.5 hours in this session with absolutely no issues. Killer is dead would ahve started crashing by now and burnout paradise would surely have had a few 5 second pauses (but I wouldn't care about those).

Imn 50 minutes it will have been over two. If I still have noy had any crash by then (and quake 4 is awesome on this btw, plays great with xpadder, tearing trough it), I will recharge teh WIN then when it's recharged tonight, I will again play quake 4 for the same amount of time, this time mulththreaded as per @Alien Grey  post.

If it starts crashing intermittently, we will have our culprit: not the GPU, not openGL, but constant full load on ALL cpu cores. Why do 2d indie gaems work? Well, most don't use a quad-core!

If that happens, I will then tomorrow run it again for  that time, but with 3-core affinity in task manager. If it stops crashing, we will probably have a solution for all games ... and games which stop being playable in fps terms on 3 instead of 4 cores on this thing wouldn't run okay on the relatively much weaker GPU anyway.

Pintek

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 05:07:20 pm »
Tried this with one game that ironically gets freezes.. or just straight up locks out an I have to taskmanager... BroForce sadly reducing to 3 cores seams to only delay the cpu from reaching 70c i've even bumped up the throttle temps in the bios but as soon as the device hits 70c it locks up whatever game I"m playing.

eragon2890 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 05:22:05 pm »
Tried this with one game that ironically gets freezes.. or just straight up locks out an I have to taskmanager... BroForce sadly reducing to 3 cores seams to only delay the cpu from reaching 70c i've even bumped up the throttle temps in the bios but as soon as the device hits 70c it locks up whatever game I"m playing.

Fuck...I felt so happy with myself for a while... snif... my theory >_< but that case I would really like to understand why killer is dead starts crashing after 45 mins... burnout paradise in total of one hour had one (ignorable) crash... but quake 4 goes for 2 + hours without ANY problems and seriously I am sureit would have gone 2 more. And that on top of the total 90-120 minutes I had already put into it with no issues.

It got just as hot. I tested. and it's just as gpu intensive if not more, framerate dips proved that.

It sure as hell ain't a faulty SOC, because then this intensive 3d game wouldcrash just has hard. Period full stop.

What the freak is causing some games to run perfectly, and others to crash intermittently. Temps get just as hot. Can't be it.

eragon2890 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 05:24:05 pm »
@Pintek  the only other thing that is different between quake 4 and other game sI tied is quake 4 running as admin.

I can't imagine that's it, but try running your games as admin (right click on the executable -> run as administrator)

Edit: if that doesn;'t work, try this http://superuser.com/questions/214566/are-there-solutions-that-can-limit-the-cpu-usage-of-a-process and put process' cpu limit to ~85% that's what quake 4 uses...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 05:26:04 pm by eragon2890 »

Pintek

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 05:49:05 pm »
Looking at the crashlog for broforce now says
dsd11.dll caused an access violation (0xc0000005)
in module dsd11.dll at 0023:6b79ca4

I'll have to check out the cpu limiter which one do you recommend of the 3 so we can try maybe to make a baseline?

eragon2890 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 06:00:43 pm »
Looking at the crashlog for broforce now says
dsd11.dll caused an access violation (0xc0000005)
in module dsd11.dll at 0023:6b79ca4

I'll have to check out the cpu limiter which one do you recommend of the 3 so we can try maybe to make a baseline?
'

I never heard of them, lets all try the upper one :)

BUT from what you say could it be the dll is faulty and maybe some others too?

could you first download that dll from the internet (SCAN IT!!!!) and replace the one on your win with it (IF WINDOWS DEFENDER SAYS IT CLEANS!!) ,then try if the game still crashes?

if that doesn't work please use the upper cpu limiter, let's start with 85% max.

Meanwhile quake 4 still runs like a wet dream now multithreaded... I LOVE THIS THING!

BTW, could you also test quake4? No-one tested it yet.

I figure if that doesn't make yours crash, and others' , then it's not hardware faults or heat or intensive 3d that makes some crash test, but some features of the GPU only used by modern games (probably due to some driver/config/dll thing on some units)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 06:03:04 pm by eragon2890 »

nex86

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 09:21:59 pm »
if its not a faulty soc, then why don't I have crashes in games on my replacement that I had on my old unit?
I even loaded an old backup from my old unit, worked without crashes.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 10:05:51 pm »
if its not a faulty soc, then why don't I have crashes in games on my replacement that I had on my old unit?

You got your replacement already?

eragon2890 (OP)

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 10:25:25 pm »

@nex86  no no I mean my unit. Killer is dead liked to hang me while burnout paradise is awesome (one crash once but whatever) and quake 4 is perfect in like 4 hours of ultra and so is blazblue vulkaiser dolphin and all of windows.

I thought maybe I ahd problem because killer is dead hanged quite often, till I saw half of steam  is filled with people for whom that @#$# ps3 port hangs in the same way.

And videos of youtube don't seem to differ fps-wise from the WIN either (with the win maxed out so that can't be it).

I am gonna test skyrim right now and aquanox 2 tomorrow if those two also work fine, I conclude my win is fine.

If skyrim or aquanox 2 crashes (regularly) then I might want to ask for a replacement as 2 non-working games out of 5 tested is a pretty good indication something is wrong.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 10:27:47 pm by eragon2890 »

nex86

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 11:18:04 pm »

yea got it on wednesday.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 11:37:11 pm »

yea got it on wednesday.

For everyone who is looking to return their unit, mind if I ask when you sent in yours and where to (China or Portland)

This should give some indication of turn around time for those looking to return theirs

Gin2168

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 04:52:11 am »

yea got it on wednesday.

For everyone who is looking to return their unit, mind if I ask when you sent in yours and where to (China or Portland)

This should give some indication of turn around time for those looking to return theirs

@vcoleiro1 if I remember right Nex86 bought his from a reseller, not GPD directly. Correct me if I'm wrong though @nex86

stevegamer199

• GPD Win Group Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 08:28:21 am »
Guys i post here suggestion gave by a member in my closed group in FB of gpd win maybe can help someone (i don't if you try already i post just for info.)

Dani R. :
"Hello everyone, I want to share something that has happened to me and that I hope it will serve somebody. It turns out that it took about two or three days with problems with my gpd-win, several faults and crashes. For example with the dirt 3 complete there was no way to play. I was investigating and saw that you could force the game to start in directx 9 and suddenly all problems disappeared. That gave me to think and manually updated the directx and since then, all games have started to run smoothly. What I mean by this is that if you have problems, force a directx update since it may be that when installing several games have become corrupted or something. I also have Intel beta drivers installed. I hope it helps someone and a greeting!"

Then he tried from this website:
" Hi Andreon, I am not very sure, I was testing a lot of things but the Last i Try was downloading an ejecutable from this page http://www.directx.com.es. Be caerful! It Try to install a lot of spam in the Computer, you can check that dont want install anything of these spam but be caerful :)"

original screenshot: http://prntscr.com/d6mt33
Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/516995381823942/
Notebook: MSI GE62 i7 5700HQ / 970M 3GB / 12GB Ram
Console : Sony PSP - Sony PS2 - GPD Win (soon)
GPD Win - Unofficial Group Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/groups/516995381823942/

eragon2890 (OP)

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 10:38:57 am »
Guys i post here suggestion gave by a member in my closed group in FB of gpd win maybe can help someone (i don't if you try already i post just for info.)

Dani R. :
"Hello everyone, I want to share something that has happened to me and that I hope it will serve somebody. It turns out that it took about two or three days with problems with my gpd-win, several faults and crashes. For example with the dirt 3 complete there was no way to play. I was investigating and saw that you could force the game to start in directx 9 and suddenly all problems disappeared. That gave me to think and manually updated the directx and since then, all games have started to run smoothly. What I mean by this is that if you have problems, force a directx update since it may be that when installing several games have become corrupted or something. I also have Intel beta drivers installed. I hope it helps someone and a greeting!"

Then he tried from this website:
" Hi Andreon, I am not very sure, I was testing a lot of things but the Last i Try was downloading an ejecutable from this page http://www.directx.com.es. Be caerful! It Try to install a lot of spam in the Computer, you can check that dont want install anything of these spam but be caerful :)"

original screenshot: http://prntscr.com/d6mt33
Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/516995381823942/

@stevegamer199  you know what? That  might be true!

I tested more games yesterday night. Skyrim crashes for me after 5 mins. restarted, crashed after 15. Uses dx10 (I thought 9, but is 10). Then I played aquanox 2 for an hour, played like a dream, using the keyboard and dinput controller, maxed out with 4x AA looked great played great lovely. No crashes. Older game, uses directx 8. Then bastion for 20 minutes. No problem. uses directx9. Duke nukem atomic edition and shogo mobile armor division I tested very quickly but seemed to be fine too.

So to summarize:

games that crash on my WIN

Killer is dead  - uses dx10 or dx11 (not sure)

Skyrim - dx10

Games that run great on my wIN

Aquanox 2 - dx8

Quake 4 - opengl

Blazblue continuum shift extend  - dx9

Vulkaiser - none

Recettear - dx8.1

Burnout paradise (had one driver crash once after I put it on high from which it recovered, basically perfect) - dx9

Bastion -  dx9

Duke nukem megaton edition  - dosbox (only tested for 3 minutes tough).

I will test dirt 3 or dmc 4 (both games which allow switch between dx10 and 9) today.

IF switching to dx9 works there... @stevegamer199 do I understand correctly that running that executable might make skyrim, killer is dead, other dx10/11 games work?

I already love my win now it can just play dx9 and older games, but would love it a lot more if it could also run devil may cry 4 and stuff.

skelton

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 10:48:13 am »
I am playing Killer is Dead on my win and didn't have any crash at all. I am playing at a custom resolution to gain some performance.
Retired

eragon2890 (OP)

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 10:52:40 am »
I am playing Killer is Dead on my win and didn't have any crash at all. I am playing at a custom resolution to gain some performance.

Yeah, so maybe as @stevegamer199  said some people just have bad dx10 installation. It happens on windows too for me soemtimes.

On that matter, given that you are spanish, can you tell us if they directx.com.es site looks reliable?

skelton

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 10:58:58 am »
I personally wouldn't install from that site.
Retired

eragon2890 (OP)

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 11:12:28 am »
I personally wouldn't install from that site.

thanks~! Then if dirt 3 indeed only crashes on dx11 mode, I will find some other way to update my directx.

Can you just do a complete reinstall with the microsoft installer?

Usually I get " thereis already a newer or same version of directx on your computer" but that' sin win 7...

Post a new topic