Poll

What performance or TDP would you choose?

<3.75W - Much less power consumption than Win 1. Same performance as Win 1.
4.5W - Less power consumption than Win 1. Around 50% better performance.
5-5.5W - Slightly lower power consumption than Win 1. Around 70% better performance.
6W - Same power consumption as Win 1. Twice the performance.
>7W - Higher power consumption than Win 1. More than twice the performance.

Author Topic: Let's build up some hype for the Win 2. How would you configure your chip power?  (Read 404 times)

nmkd (OP)

So, the GPD Win 2 will most likely use the Intel Core M3 7y30. [Src]

Thanks to Intel's Kaby Lake architecture, it's literally twice as efficient as the current GPD Win (Z8750). [Src]

What would you choose: A power consumption lower than the current Win? The same? Or even higher?

Things to keep in mind when voting:
- For reference: The current Win draws 6W at full load.
- For reference: The Core M3 7y30 draws 7W at full load.
- TDP/power consumption is always proportional to heat.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:50:42 am by nmkd »

mdoc

I would do what I do for every portable device I have.

• Set wattage and amperage limits to highest possible. Give that boy some breathing room.
  • Install the best liquid metal thermal compound in the world(up to 10C cooler than stock) - coollabratory liquid ultra.
  • Cut out some frame elements obstructing heat sink fins on side of device for better airflow.
  • Undervolt global core/cache offset as low as it will get while remaining stable, -90mV easily achievable most of the time (-7% less consumption/longer turbo/more battery), igp is a lot harder.
  • Hunt down bloat and stop services in win 10.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:31:46 am by mdoc »

zutai

Personally, I would go for a balance between power consumption and performance.

As long as PS2 and Gamecube Emulation can be played at a constant 60FPS; I would prefer to keep power consumption as low as possible.

Neuromant1991

I would do what I do for every portable device I have.

• Set wattage and amperage limits to highest possible. Give that boy some breathing room.
  • Install the best liquid metal thermal compound in the world(up to 10C cooler than stock) - coollabratory liquid ultra.
  • Cut out some frame elements obstructing heat sink fins on side of device for better airflow.
  • Undervolt global core/cache offset as low as it will get while remaining stable, -90mV easily achievable most of the time (-7% less consumption/longer turbo/more battery), igp is a lot harder.
  • Hunt down bloat and stop services in win 10.

Double-check about the cooling solution. I think previously Coolaboratory liquid ultra indeed was the most conducting thermal paste out there, and I used it too. However, now,  according to different tests, Thermal grizzly''s Conductonaut is deemed a superior liquid metal cooling solution.