Author Topic: Having trouble closing the Win case after heatsink mod  (Read 1062 times)

AVahne (OP)

Having trouble closing the Win case after heatsink mod
« on: May 19, 2017, 03:54:38 am »
So I've just done Phawx's heatsink mod with a .5mm shim, but when I go to snap close the housing, one side of the hinge area would bulge out and would refuse to snap into place. This bulge stops my Win from opening all the way. I can do the 180 if I push the bulge in, but I don't want to be dealing with that as I fear leaving my Win in this state would just damage it.
I've tried troubleshooting by removing the battery, the speaker, and even the heatsink, which I thought would be the prime suspect, but to no avail. I'm still getting the bulging hinge.
It doesn't bulge when the mainboard is removed and the housing is relatively empty though, so SOMETHING about the mainboard is causing this issue.
I suspect it's some smaller piece that I'm forgetting to put in correctly or something that's placing pressure on the case and the mainboard, but right now I'm just drawing blanks.
The bulging is occurring on the hinge area above the USB C port area, which is also the side of the hinge that the display cable comes out of. I've considered the cable being the issues, but I can't see how.

Does anyone have any idea what could be doing this?

exorio

Re: Having trouble closing the Win case after heatsink mod
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:08:30 am »
So I've just done Phawx's heatsink mod with a .5mm shim, but when I go to snap close the housing, one side of the hinge area would bulge out and would refuse to snap into place. This bulge stops my Win from opening all the way. I can do the 180 if I push the bulge in, but I don't want to be dealing with that as I fear leaving my Win in this state would just damage it.
I've tried troubleshooting by removing the battery, the speaker, and even the heatsink, which I thought would be the prime suspect, but to no avail. I'm still getting the bulging hinge.
It doesn't bulge when the mainboard is removed and the housing is relatively empty though, so SOMETHING about the mainboard is causing this issue.
I suspect it's some smaller piece that I'm forgetting to put in correctly or something that's placing pressure on the case and the mainboard, but right now I'm just drawing blanks.
The bulging is occurring on the hinge area above the USB C port area, which is also the side of the hinge that the display cable comes out of. I've considered the cable being the issues, but I can't see how.

I haven't do any complete teardown of my win, and not planning to do so, since my device is good.

I'm only dare to open up the bottom case and monitor.

But on that area I suspect you probably didn't place the facebuttons/silicon properly

bitersnake

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:56:50 am »

If you have a newer unit you probably should never have attempted the heatsink mod as it will
Most likely be futile. I had the same problem as you-- getting the hinge to lock back in was a nightmare. Start with the front edge when your fixing the two halves back and then just use force to force the ports back down and they do eventually snap into place.

With a 0.5 shim you'll probably always have bulge around the keypad and the hinge my device made a cracking sound whenever I moved it for the first 2-3 days after I did the mod but then the sound went away. Anyway, googd luck

Neuromant1991

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:07:20 pm »
That is a problem I also faced and it has nothing to do with 0.5mm shim. Actually, the shim is not even thick enough to cover the gap between the processor and the heatsink - for that you need a 0.6mm. 0.5mm does not give any bulge at all.
First things first, double-check that during the reassembly you put the Dinput-mouse mode-Xinput switch on top of the actual component correctly. If you didn't,  sometimes you can fix it by simply trying to switch the switch this way or that and that part will fall into place.
Once you've done that, when you are replacing the bottom cover back on the device, be sure to put it first just lightly on the device and start pressing it in at the back, where the ports are. Make sure that the ports go into their respective holes. After that, just press in the rest of the casing

bitersnake

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 05:15:29 pm »
That is a problem I also faced and it has nothing to do with 0.5mm shim. Actually, the shim is not even thick enough to cover the gap between the processor and the heatsink - for that you need a 0.6mm. 0.5mm does not give any bulge at all.
Well your experience may have been different but that is not enough to claim that a 0.5mm shim is not tall enough to cuase a bump. Many people have noticed a bump by using the thinnest shims and the gpd manufacturing is not only highly variable from batch to batch but is sometimes a little tentative. Certain things like application of thermal grease etc are done at their factory by hand so it is not impossible that a 0.5 mm shim causes the surface to become raised.

AVahne (OP)

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 03:05:26 am »
Thanks for the ideas guys, but no dice.

@exorio I can confirm the buttons nor the membranes are a problem, as they're as flush as they can be.

@bitersnake I have one of the older, November batch units, so the mod is definitely useful. I can say the shim isn't the problem, as I've tried closing the case without the heatsink at all to see if it's the problem. Still getting the bulge. Pressing with all my might didn't help either, it's pretty stubborn.

@Neuromant1991 I've tried closing it without the switch piece inside as well, still doesn't close :(

EDIT: I've just tried Neuromant1991's method of closing the case...and it worked! Well, without the heatsink, battery, and other stuff that is. Going to try it again once I've reassembled everything.

EDIT 2: Nope, still no dice....

EDIT 3: Starting to suspect that one of the clips in the hinge area broke or something, but I don't see how. Anyone mind opening their unit and taking a photo of the inside of the hinge area so I can see if I broke something?

EDIT 4 (5/31/17): NVM I'VE FINALLY CLOSED MY WIN! I have indeed been misaligning the ports even though I thought I had them taken care of. Thank you all so much for your help! :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 02:40:09 am by AVahne »

exorio

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 08:57:12 am »
This thread makes me having a second thought of doing the heatsink mod lol.

A/C

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 08:45:06 am »
Can anyone confirm that the new rev 2.5 (aluminium) model doesn't need the mod anymore? I think I've read that somewhere but can't remember it for the life of me...

Maniac

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 01:54:27 pm »
Can anyone confirm that the new rev 2.5 (aluminium) model doesn't need the mod anymore? I think I've read that somewhere but can't remember it for the life of me...

You say that as though other versions need the mod?

A/C

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 02:17:12 pm »

You say that as though other versions need the mod?

Funny.

Maniac

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 04:13:10 pm »
Funny.

I'm serious. The heatsink mod isn't needed. If you want to do it, that's a different story.

A/C

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 04:53:38 pm »
Well technically you dont have to tweak the OS to free the system resources so you get more fps... but you still do it because it's worthwhile.

I was asking wether its still worthwhile doing the cooling mod, as I've read somewhere it isn't anymore...

Maniac

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 08:24:17 pm »
If your question is whether you need to do the heatsink mod to play games without overheating, no you don't. If you want to lower temps a bit, it may help.

Nor do I bother tweaking the OS much. Haven't seen any proof of that actually helping. That was much more important 15 years ago than it is now.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:26:37 pm by Maniac »

nex86

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 11:03:19 am »
I had the same issue when I put it back together.
make sure all ports are snapped into the holes in the case and not pushing against it.
heatsink mod shouldnt be the problem unless the copper shim you used is too thick that its pushing the case up
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:05:30 am by nex86 »

Post a new topic