Poll

Which CPU do you wish for the GPD Win2?

CoreM: 100% faster than Win1, more expensive (Win2 would be $500).
51 (91.1%)
N4200: 15% faster than Win1, less expensive (Win2 would be $400).
5 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: [Poll] GPD Win2: Would you pay more for a CoreM?  (Read 3820 times)

Gin2168

Re: [Poll] GPD Win2: Would you pay more for a CoreM?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 03:39:39 am »
I think the bigger push here isn't whether or not to do the core M3 or the N4200, but rather, would we as a community prefer a higher price point for more performance. I know I would. The GPD Win for me was pretty disappointing in some of the main areas I wanted it to really shine. Now that's not GPD's fault and I certainly can't blame em. But with everyone on the internet constantly bringing up the SmachZ or PGS in comparison to the GPD Win, it's clear I'm not the only one that wants more performance.

So if GPD can tack on another $200 tops, keep a similar form factor, up the storage, ram and cooling potential and make more modern gaming and emulation a possibility, I'd be in. They are at this point the only ones with this kind of form factor for UMPCs.

Again, doesn't matter if its a CoreM3 or Zen or whatever else comes out. I'm voicing that I want to give GPD Win more money if they can make a device that performs leaps and bounds over the Win1. If 15% is the best we'll get (N4200), then I literally have no reason to even consider a Win 2.

GrimyHR

Re: GPD Win2: Would you pay more for a CoreM?
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 05:11:13 am »
I think this questionnaire is a bit limited. What's the power consumption of these processors? What's the heat output? Can they even be used in the form factor of GPD Win without burning it down like a combustible lemon in a house? How much more battery power will they use compared to z8750?

N4200 = 6w

Core m3-7Y30 = 7w

N4200 is quadcore = not necessary for gaming or emulation

Core m3-7Y30 = Dual Core with higher single threaded frequency and better gpu

The Teclast X5 Pro use the Core m3-7Y30, it has a 5000 mAh battery and lasts four hours. (GPDwin has 6700 mAh battery)

Go look up gaming benchmark of the X5 Pro on youtube, it crushes GPDwin.

I'm potentially getting an X5 Pro by early next month.  I'll post some emulation videos so you can see.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQtEmsLPVDU

Compare his Counter Strike framerate to my videos and he's getting 2x the performance at a negligible higher resoultion.

He is running 1280x768 and I ran mine at 1280x720.  Also I put in whatever tweaks to help it run better and it looks like he's just running stock settings.

So more than double the performance in games, and potentially in the same TDP because of two less CPU cores.

Core m3-7Y30 costs $100 more than N4200 if you buy chips x1000.

Also N4200 costs $120 more than z8700/z8750.

So people who are thinking that N4200 is going to be same price as GPDwin are going to be in for a bad time.  $450~ for GPDwin2 with N4200 and only 15%~ better performance OR $550~ for GPDwin2 with Core m3-7Y30 and 100%+~ performance in games.

There really shouldn't be an argument for Core m3-7Y30.  If people think GPDwin is too expensive now, the N4200 is going to be MORE expensive. 

Here's a comparison on Intel's website itself:

https://ark.intel.com/compare/95449,95592

Core m3-7Y30 destroys N4200
that tablet has 5000mah@7.6v so that would be as if gpd win had a 10000mah battery, and it gets only 4 hours of video playback, which is utter shit, for gaming it would be less than an hour

nmkd

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 09:23:11 am »
Forget about Core M.
It would completely destroy the battery life.

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X

SONY

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 11:13:30 am »
I don't think they should worry too much about rushing out the next one as they literally have NO COMPETITION (no I don't count the Switch nor the Smach, hell the Smach and Switch are more competition for each other than the Win is).

Why bring the Nintendo Switch into this??
Nintendo Switch (Nintendo OS made by nVIDIA) is a dedicated gaming home console / handheld and the GPD Win (Windows obviously) is a UMPC.
As for the SMACH Z (a Windows or Steam OS UMPC with no kb), well...it's looking like another bs product that'll never end up actually being released.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:18:02 am by SONY »
SONY PS3
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

GPD XD

Saber

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 01:54:03 pm »
While I voted for the CoreM, it should be said that the Win series is marketed for portable gaming and not arguably so for intense desktop-like gaming on the go. Pushing pixels isn't the prime intention here, and battery life and heat dissipation need to be thoughtfully considered.

Gaming on a spacious 12"+ tablet:
https://youtu.be/lQtEmsLPVDU?t=506

Although I hold no delusions of it ever happening, I'd welcome a distinctly different higher tiered and thusly priced 7-8" display gaming handheld. Everything others ask for without the requisite compromises. 

baka-neko (OP)

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 02:45:20 pm »
It's a bit premature to talk about SOCs just yet.  I know GPD may have alluded to working on a WIN 2, but that is something they always say with all their products - including the XD for that matter from pretty much day 1.   In reality , it will be some time before a WIN 2, end of next year at the very earliest and probably the year after.

The point of this thread is to let know GPD what the community really want, early in the design of the Win2.

The Pocket was revealed only a few months ago, and they already had a fixed plan for it, with major flaws such as the lack of SD reader that they don't want to change it seems. If they revealed the Pocket before the final design decisions, the community would have pointed to the issue.

Which is the goal of this thread for the Win2. Judging by the results of this poll, we want the fastest SOC (be it CoreM or whatever available at the launch period), not the cheapest (the current plan for GPD is the N4200).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:00:49 am by baka-neko »

AVahne

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 07:35:34 pm »
I don't think they should worry too much about rushing out the next one as they literally have NO COMPETITION (no I don't count the Switch nor the Smach, hell the Smach and Switch are more competition for each other than the Win is).

Why bring the Nintendo Switch into this??
Nintendo Switch (Nintendo OS made by nVIDIA) is a dedicated gaming home console / handheld and the GPD Win (Windows obviously) is a UMPC.
As for the SMACH Z (a Windows or Steam OS UMPC with no kb), well...it's looking like another bs product that'll never end up actually being released.
Because there are actually people out there who legitimately think of the Win as competitor for the Switch.
I couldn't believe it either.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 03:17:16 am »
It's a bit premature to talk about SOCs just yet.  I know GPD may have alluded to working on a WIN 2, but that is something they always say with all their products - including the XD for that matter from pretty much day 1.   In reality , it will be some time before a WIN 2, end of next year at the very earliest and probably the year after.

The point of this thread is to let know GPD what the community really want, early in the design of the Win2.

The Pocket was revealed only a few months ago, and they already had a fixed plan for it, with major flaws such as the lack of SD reader that they don't want to change it seems. If they revealed the Pocket before the final design decisions, the community would have pointed to the issue.

Which is the goal of this thread for the Win2. Judging by the results of this poll, we want the fastest SOC (be it CoreM or whatever available at the launch period), not the cheapest (the current plan for GPD is the N4200).

I would like to ask where you got those prices from in the OP.   As far as I can find, the Core-m3-7Y30 is $281 ie $244 more than the Z8700

https://ark.intel.com/products/95449/Intel-Core-m3-7Y30-Processor-4M-Cache-2_60-GHz-

Also, it wouldn't be just $244 more, you have to factor in wholesale and retail profit margins.  For example, the part and manufacture cost of the WIN is very roughly maybe say $150 or there abouts.  Yet it retails for $340.  ie when you add the wholesale and retail margins on top of the Core-m3-7Y30 cost, it will be way more than $500. Probably around $700.  Even a  Apollo lake WIN would be a lot more than $400 as mentioned in the OP.

It's really a comparison between WINs with more expensive SOCS which both would be a lot more. 

Neither of this means anything though, as who knows what will be on the market at the time.  Remember, GPD always say they are working on things.  The XD is coming up to 2 years old now, and it's 2nd iteration has been said from day one.   

Mind you asking for GPD to include everyone in the loop early is a good idea.  I have no problem with that.  That said, we all asked GPD to let us know the details of their next device way before any crowdfunding so we can give input.  This was after the GPD WIN  , where they didn't give us any real time.  GPD came back and acknoledged the issue and said they would ensure next time they would give us a lot more time for input.  Fast forward a year with the GPD Pocket, and  what happened.  ........   wait for it. Yep , they gave us less time.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:22:48 am by vcoleiro1 »

Sousaptak

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 02:26:02 pm »
Frankly , I am not sure why the price would be 500 $, I came across this while surfing. this device is featuring a larger screen, better resolution , a SSD 128 gb hard drive and dual camera as well. if this device can be sold at 350 $ why we need the Win2 to price 500 $ for the same Core M processor.

My preferred specs for WIN 2 would be:
1.  6 inch 720p screen
2.  Core M3-7Y30 or similar AMD Raven Ridge ( supports DDR4 memory)
3. 8 GB Ram
4. 128 GB // 256 GB storage
5. Active cooling
6. Clickable joystick
7. + 8000 mah battery with Fast charging
8. Better keyboard with backlit
9. Front cam and a sim slot for Data connection.
10. Price not more than 400 $.

AVahne

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 02:30:01 am »
Frankly , I am not sure why the price would be 500 $, I came across this while surfing. this device is featuring a larger screen, better resolution , a SSD 128 gb hard drive and dual camera as well. if this device can be sold at 350 $ why we need the Win2 to price 500 $ for the same Core M processor.

1.  6 inch 720p screen
3. 8 GB Ram
5. Active cooling
6. Clickable joystick

Same reason why a laptop with similar specs to a desktop would cost much more: you're fitting quite a lot into a much, much smaller package. GPD would have to spend far more researching and prototyping in order to get the Core M working optimally in a much smaller housing and would have to figure out how to power it with a much smaller battery and keep it COOLED so it doesn't throttle. Much more so than if they were to just make the same old tablet that everyone else it making.

skullskull

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 04:24:01 am »
I think that a better option is a Core i5-7Y57, it cost the same as core m3-7y32.
You can verify:
https://ark.intel.com/products/97461/Intel-Core-i5-7Y57-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz
https://ark.intel.com/products/97538/Intel-Core-m3-7Y32-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz
A core i5-7Y57 will give a better performance

nmkd

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 06:04:17 am »
I think that a better option is a Core i5-7Y57, it cost the same as core m3-7y32.
You can verify:
https://ark.intel.com/products/97461/Intel-Core-i5-7Y57-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz
https://ark.intel.com/products/97538/Intel-Core-m3-7Y32-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz
It has the same GPU so it wouldn't really make a difference.

Crin_Coral

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 09:20:38 am »
You can verify:

Indeed, given that GPD must source the SoCīs from Intel the, i5-7Y57 is the best option, since sold for the same price as
the m3-7y32, but with more horsepower.

500$ would be my absolute MAX for the WIN2, but then only WITH clickalbe sticks, 8GB RAM and from a european reseller, since i wonīt pay 20% VAT-Tax and costums on top of the 500$.

However, no one ever seems to have considered asking and buying the m3-7y32īs from the 300$ tablet producers, that would in best case bring a totally different outcome pricewise. As no one replied to the post, most likely no one cares anyway.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:27:08 am by Crin_Coral »

Crin_Coral

Re: GPD Win2: Would you pay more for a CoreM?
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 09:26:19 am »
I'm potentially getting an X5 Pro by early next month.  I'll post some emulation videos so you can see.
Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQtEmsLPVDU

Interessting... Did anyone of you ever notice the permanent RAM-Usage of about ~6GB ?
They were ALL, in the range from 4.5 GB up to 6.5GB all the time, even that mobile racing game !
So much for the 8GB RAM is useless and wonīt do any good guys... right?

exorio

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 09:52:51 am »
While I voted for the CoreM, it should be said that the Win series is marketed for portable gaming and not arguably so for intense desktop-like gaming on the go. Pushing pixels isn't the prime intention here, and battery life and heat dissipation need to be thoughtfully considered.

Gaming on a spacious 12"+ tablet:
https://youtu.be/lQtEmsLPVDU?t=506

Although I hold no delusions of it ever happening, I'd welcome a distinctly different higher tiered and thusly priced 7-8" display gaming handheld. Everything others ask for without the requisite compromises.

Yeah, all those GTA V videos on GPD Win, while Rockstar is known for its bad, unoptimized PC ports

And the GPD team actually use those for marketing, claiming AAA games would run well on it

It's not illegal or anything, but people shoould lower their expectation for this thing

Running Skyrim at everything low is already incredible

Win 2 don't need necessarily to be faster, but well thought out build and design.

Slightly faster, okay. Way much pricier, no.

1.  6 inch 720p screen
3. 8 GB Ram
5. Active cooling
6. Clickable joystick

12" is HUGE.

And I don't use my tablet much nowadays.

Also it's 60% off?

Post a new topic
Post a new topic