Author Topic: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO  (Read 620014 times)

vcoleiro1

Re: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO
« Reply #885 on: June 08, 2016, 09:47:22 am »
The Chinese crowdfunding page is now up, it officially starts June 12th.  I think it says the campaign is 60 days long, and the fulfillment is 30 days after that. That should be mid Sept. Price is 1799 yuan ($274 usd)

See here:  http://z.jd.com/project/details/58322.html

This should be the final phase of crowdfunding/pre-orders

Phase 1)   Indiegogo.com International crowdfunding campaign which got 1890 backers (Ended)

Phase 2)   Makuake.com  Japanese crowdfunding campaign which is on 483 backers and climbing (50 days left in the campaign)

Phase 3)  Third Party pre-orders have begun via sites like Geekbuying, DinoDirect etc etc - Pre-orders Unknown

Phase 4)  JD.com  Chinese crowdfunding campaign starts on June 12th

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:15:51 am by vcoleiro1 »

vcoleiro1

« Reply #886 on: June 08, 2016, 11:54:29 am »
Another video of game play on the GPD WIN Prototype. Game is Devil May Cry 4:

From a comment on the Baidu forum, I think they are still optimizing things

#Invalid YouTube Link#
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:23:33 pm by vcoleiro1 »

Denhette

« Reply #887 on: June 08, 2016, 12:44:07 pm »
I wonder if it's being played at the lowest possible settings. It looks kinda slow (not that I expect it to run like a gaming rig ofc).

Deen0X

« Reply #888 on: June 08, 2016, 03:12:40 pm »
they need:
1- capture video in HORIZONTAL mode (pleeeeaseeee) XD
2- adjust the resolution of the game for running smoother

this is a sample of the same game, but running on Cherrytrail Z8300

#Invalid YouTube Link#

the game is 100% playable without problems, but adjusting some graphic options.

Deen0X

« Reply #889 on: June 08, 2016, 03:17:27 pm »
here is a DMC4 benchmark on Z8300

#Invalid YouTube Link#

BlazingSoul

« Reply #890 on: June 08, 2016, 06:51:33 pm »
I posted some of these tips on reddit for speed improvements on Dolphin and PCSX2, but made a few changes:

For Dolphin:

1. Change Windows screen resolution to 640x480.  This mean less heat = less throttling.

2.  Change quad core to tri core or dual core by disabling 1 or 2 cores at msconfig.  Dolphin is more optimized for dual cores, and again less cores = less heat = less throttling. (in fact, it only uses 2 cores, so more than 2 is really pointless and just wastes energy and creates more heat)

3.  Download the latest build of Ishiiruka Dolphin (a faster version of dolphin from here:https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-ishiiruka-dolphin-custom-version).  Go to settings and turn on DirectX12 (more optimized on ishiiruka), fast efb, ignore format changes, efb to texture only, and full async shader.  Also on advanced config, lower the cpu override to 70%.

For PCSX2:

1.  Pretty much the same as above.  But on the gsdx ini text file add this line: UserHacks_DisablePartialInvalidation=1

2. Download the latest build of PCSX2 and use OpenGL, since it is the fastest on PCSX2 right now.

3. On emulation settings turn speedhacks to level 3 (balanced) or level 4 (Agressive).  Also, turn on MTVU speedhack on certain games.  It speed up games on a quad core processor.

*Note Unlike Dolphin, PCSX2 takes advantage of quad core, BUT due to that it can also throttle the Atom CPU more.  So I recommend to disable only 1 core (tri core) or experiment with different games.

DrROBschiz

« Reply #891 on: June 09, 2016, 01:29:39 pm »
Nice guide! You should save and update this.

Would be nice to have a topic dedicated to optimal settings for various apps and emulation once this comes out!

Saturos

« Reply #892 on: June 09, 2016, 06:05:31 pm »
I posted some of these tips on reddit for speed improvements on Dolphin and PCSX2, but made a few changes:

For Dolphin:

1. Change Windows screen resolution to 640x480.  This mean less heat = less throttling.

2.  Change quad core to tri core or dual core by disabling 1 or 2 cores at msconfig.  Dolphin is more optimized for dual cores, and again less cores = less heat = less throttling. (in fact, it only uses 2 cores, so more than 2 is really pointless and just wastes energy and creates more heat)

3.  Download the latest build of Ishiiruka Dolphin (a faster version of dolphin from here:https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-ishiiruka-dolphin-custom-version).  Go to settings and turn on DirectX12 (more optimized on ishiiruka), fast efb, ignore format changes, efb to texture only, and full async shader.  Also on advanced config, lower the cpu override to 70%.

For PCSX2:

1.  Pretty much the same as above.  But on the gsdx ini text file add this line: UserHacks_DisablePartialInvalidation=1

2. Download the latest build of PCSX2 and use OpenGL, since it is the fastest on PCSX2 right now.

3. On emulation settings turn speedhacks to level 3 (balanced) or level 4 (Agressive).  Also, turn on MTVU speedhack on certain games.  It speed up games on a quad core processor.

*Note Unlike Dolphin, PCSX2 takes advantage of quad core, BUT due to that it can also throttle the Atom CPU more.  So I recommend to disable only 1 core (tri core) or experiment with different games.

thank you very much for your valuable information. I keep it in a text file for future

pantwi

« Reply #893 on: June 10, 2016, 04:10:01 am »
Based on the vids so far this devices looks like a disappointment.
especially, based on all the hype it has been getting.
The chip downgrade is a major blow.

Another thing that i would like to know is why is the gpd xd so highly priced?
doesnt make sense to me how the pricing is being done. I am able to get a nvidia shield(which is a much more better device) for way less than a GPD. The device isnt even made better than most devices doesnt make sense to me.

The GPD win is also overpriced in comparison to even jxd s192 which is a way better/stronger device.
well i guess its just me :) just a though

Pleng

« Reply #894 on: June 10, 2016, 06:53:51 am »

I don't see how this can be a good idea. If you only have 2 cores active, and Dolphin uses 2 cores, then background OS processes are going to need to share the same 2 cores as Dolphin.

If Dolphin is only optimized for dual cores then it's not going to make use of the other 2 cores, and they'll sit idle until they're needed for something else. If Dolphin "can make use of more than two cores but doesn't really see much of an improvement by doing so", and doesn't have an internal setting to restrict the number of cores used, then you're probably better off setting Dolphin's task affinity in task manager, than disabling the other two cores completely.

MOFO

« Reply #895 on: June 10, 2016, 10:52:17 am »
Based on the vids so far this devices looks like a disappointment.
especially, based on all the hype it has been getting.
The chip downgrade is a major blow.

Another thing that i would like to know is why is the gpd xd so highly priced?
doesnt make sense to me how the pricing is being done. I am able to get a nvidia shield(which is a much more better device) for way less than a GPD. The device isnt even made better than most devices doesnt make sense to me.

The GPD win is also overpriced in comparison to even jxd s192 which is a way better/stronger device.
well i guess its just me :) just a though

I agree, the chip downgrade is major blow if anything they should consider using a X7 z8700 that would only cost a few extra $$$, I'm sure people would rather pay a bit more for more performance rather then just down grading with no benifet.
Hopefully the GPD XD2 is better thought out than this......

vcoleiro1

« Reply #896 on: June 10, 2016, 11:01:45 am »
Well they haven't given up on the Z8550, they  said they will keep trying to get it to the last minute.   

If Intel don't release it in the end, well that is a tough break, but not much they can about it.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the Z8700, it's going to be tough enough to cool the Z8500/Z8550. 

MOFO

« Reply #897 on: June 10, 2016, 11:14:29 am »
If they put any engineering effort into cooling system a x7 8700 is doable, not saying using a fan or anything but adding a nice big heat sink with thermal pads and paste really help.
Ive seen some mods done to tablets that have lowered temps a great deal just by adding a good quality paste and thermal padding in the right spots.

skelton

« Reply #898 on: June 10, 2016, 11:33:50 am »
I have used a tvbox z8700 with a fan and even so, it throttles. So putting a z8700 is probably not a good idea. They will have even some issues with the z8500..... so imagine with a z8700 or a core M3.
Retired

chip

« Reply #899 on: June 10, 2016, 11:45:53 am »
The loss of the Z8550 is really not a big deal.  The only difference between that and the Z8500 is a trivial 160mhz worth of max boost speed - and on a device that is certainly going to be thermally constrained, max boost isn't going to matter.  There would be no appreciable difference between the two chips in this application, and arguably little difference even if they had a perfect cooling solution (which they don't).

Post a new topic