Author Topic: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO  (Read 620013 times)

Phawx

Re: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO
« Reply #4200 on: October 17, 2016, 08:07:40 pm »
I've had the 8750 version of the GPDwin since Saturday.  It took about an hour to install the latest 1607 build.  And just a few minutes to restore the drivers.

Sweet. What is the difference between the 2? Is it that much cleaner?

Build 1607 is Windows Anniversary update.  So if you wanted Windows Subsystem for Linux, you need this build.

Think of the Anniversary edition as SP1.  Running updates on it right now and then I'll do a DISM purge and kill the hibernation file.  But I should have 50GB free after all is said and done.

Quick steps to reinstall Windows 10:

1.) Download Double Driver and make a full backup of drivers in compressed form

2.) Download Windows Media Creation tool and flash the iso to USB (this can be done on any computer or the GPDwin itself)

3.) Go to advanced settings and reboot off of USB disk

At this point your screen will be in portrait mode as that's the default position of the screen.

4.) Delete all Drive 0 partitions

5.) Click Next

6.) Windows 10 start-up, configure to specifications (I disable everything) Enter your username click continue

7.) Load Double Driver portable and your compressed driver back up. Restore everything. (Double Driver will auto check things that need to be installed)

8.) It invokes the Windows Device manager to install drivers.

9.) After that's done rotate screen 270 degrees (which is how you want it) and click disable rotation from Windows Notification menu.

10.) reboot

11.) To get wifi working you need to replace a txt file in your driver directory. GPD made a batch file that you can just run as administrator, I'll re-upload somewhere else so we have it.

12.) reboot

13.) Ta-da! You're on a clean install of anniversary edition.

Video will be up on YouTube soon.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:31:21 pm by Phawx »

Frogman

« Reply #4201 on: October 17, 2016, 08:37:39 pm »
I've had the 8750 version of the GPDwin since Saturday.  It took about an hour to install the latest 1607 build.  And just a few minutes to restore the drivers.

Build 1607 is Windows Anniversary update.  So if you wanted Windows Subsystem for Linux, you need this build.

Think of the Anniversary edition as SP1.  Running updates on it right now and then I'll do a DISM purge and kill the hibernation file.  But I should have 50GB free after all is said and done.

2.) Download Windows Media Creation tool and flash the iso to USB (this can be done on any computer or the GPDwin itself)

At this point your screen will be in portrait mode as that's the default position of the screen.

5.) Click Next

6.) Windows 10 start-up, configure to specifications (I disable everything) Enter your username click continue

7.) Load Double Driver portable and your compressed driver back up. Restore everything. (Double Driver will auto check things that need to be installed)

9.) After that's done rotate screen 270 degrees (which is how you want it) and click disable rotation from Windows Notification menu.

10.) reboot

11.) To get wifi working you need to replace a txt file in your driver directory. GPD made a batch file that you can just run as administrator, I'll re-upload somewhere else so we have it.

12.) reboot

thanks for your efforts.meanwhile i renew my plea:can you please try some 3d games on MAME,3d intensive games such as tekken tag tournament?and if possible something for the saturn emulator,that apparently many people here are fan of? :)

Gin2168

« Reply #4202 on: October 17, 2016, 08:39:30 pm »
So I'm really torn at this point thanks to the somewhat evasive use of language from GPD. On one hand, I'm tempted to purchase another unit off GB with the express hope that I'll get it sooner than I would my IGG order. On the other hand, if GPD will have all of the IGG backers done by the 20th, with some left over for GB and other resellers. Then it may not have any effect on the speed I get it at (Since GB will be limited in stock and previous orders will go out before mine most likely).

However, I almost wonder if I would still get it faster through GB since they obviously seem to be far more familiar with logistics around the world, as opposed to GPD which has already expressed the difficulties that will go with shipping units slowing them down.

So do I buy from GB and sell whichever unit comes in second? Or should I just adult and wait it out :p? Obviously I'm asking for opinions, I know unless you work for GPD you won't have a solid answer.

EDIT:
Also it seems Omni-charge shipments have been delayed until December due to new testing or certifications being required in part because of the Samsung Battery fiasco. So anyone have experience with the Ravpower Type-C 30W output power bank being sold at Amazon? https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-RAVPower-26800mAh-Recharge/dp/B01LRQDAEI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1476727793&sr=8-10&keywords=type-c+power+bank

Provided I get my unit before Thanksgiving, I'm going to be on a very long car ride/drive and would like to not have to depend on a Power Converter in the car since others will want to use it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:51:34 pm by Gin2168 »

maarten12100

« Reply #4203 on: October 17, 2016, 09:16:32 pm »
Provided I get my unit before Thanksgiving, I'm going to be on a very long car ride/drive and would like to not have to depend on a Power Converter in the car since others will want to use it.
No experience with any powerbanks but if you need a lot of power and weight is not an issue. (since you're in a car for a long time (5-10 days roadtrip?))
If I needed a lot of juice on the go I would just get myself a large battery pack. (the ones RC planes use)
I have one laying around here that is almost 270 Wh. Combine that with a (high voltage) uBEC and you're good to go.
http://www.banggood.com/2S-6S-Lipo-to-USB-Power-Converter-Adapter-with-UBEC-LED-Function-p-934110.html?rmmds=search
Something like that would do the trick. (though I don't see if it has a protection circuit to protect against over discharge)

brandon916

« Reply #4204 on: October 17, 2016, 09:23:45 pm »

Also, a .txt file needs to be replaced in the windows drivers folder after you restore drivers.  There is a batch file that was on the baidu forums.

This is the same problem that FinalStrider was having.  So while his driver *was correct* and *did work* you do need to replace the txt file that is loaded by default to have Wifi working.

So I can confirm Double Driver does work, as I used it for this.  After you restore, restart, run the wifi .bat file and restart.  Viola! Clean install of 1607 (Windows 10 Anniversary edition) never asked me for a key and Windows shows it's activated.

I know this might be asking much but anyway you can detail this process with links for all the drivers? Will greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

brandon916

« Reply #4205 on: October 17, 2016, 09:25:02 pm »

5.) Click Next

10.) reboot

12.) reboot

Thanks a lot. Can't wait to see your video.

Gin2168

« Reply #4206 on: October 17, 2016, 09:35:36 pm »
No experience with any powerbanks but if you need a lot of power and weight is not an issue. (since you're in a car for a long time (5-10 days roadtrip?))
If I needed a lot of juice on the go I would just get myself a large battery pack. (the ones RC planes use)
I have one laying around here that is almost 270 Wh. Combine that with a (high voltage) uBEC and you're good to go.
http://www.banggood.com/2S-6S-Lipo-to-USB-Power-Converter-Adapter-with-UBEC-LED-Function-p-934110.html?rmmds=search
Something like that would do the trick. (though I don't see if it has a protection circuit to protect against over discharge)

That's a pretty sweet idea. Unfortunately space will be a bit of an issue and I think it'll be a bit overkill for what I'm looking to do. But we'll be on the road for a few days and have intermittent breaks at night that would allow me to recharge the powerbank. Like I said, I'll also have a power converter in the car, I just know my wife and her sister are hoping to rig up their Laptops and the Wii U to it here and there. Then we also have a couple of babies in the car, so we'll need power for bottle warmers and toys/tablets, etc... So I'll have access, but it may be limited at times.

The thing really holding me back is I already own like 3-4 different powerbanks, but they're all limited to 2.4 output, take forever to charge and are not type-c. (most are 20000+ mah though) At this point I don't even own a Type-C phone. So it would be to some extent future proofing for whatever my next phone is.

Phawx

« Reply #4207 on: October 17, 2016, 09:44:13 pm »
How to Install Windows 10 video for GPD Win:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPqkEgWwcdM

maarten12100

« Reply #4208 on: October 17, 2016, 09:52:39 pm »
That's a pretty sweet idea. Unfortunately space will be a bit of an issue and I think it'll be a bit overkill for what I'm looking to do. But we'll be on the road for a few days and have intermittent breaks at night that would allow me to recharge the powerbank. Like I said, I'll also have a power converter in the car, I just know my wife and her sister are hoping to rig up their Laptops and the Wii U to it here and there. Then we also have a couple of babies in the car, so we'll need power for bottle warmers and toys/tablets, etc... So I'll have access, but it may be limited at times.

The thing really holding me back is I already own like 3-4 different powerbanks, but they're all limited to 2.4 output, take forever to charge and are not type-c. (most are 20000+ mah though) At this point I don't even own a Type-C phone. So it would be to some extent future proofing for whatever my next phone is.
Yeah in that case it might be a bit overkill I however think those 20000 mAh powerbanks will be plenty for a few days. (3,7 * 20 Ah = 111 Wh each and since you have 3 that will probably be plenty)

Phawx

« Reply #4209 on: October 17, 2016, 10:01:07 pm »
Here is the batch file to run AFTER you restore your wifi drivers:

https://www.mediafire.com/?auzcacssci9i97r

brandon916

« Reply #4210 on: October 17, 2016, 10:01:52 pm »
Here is the batch file to run AFTER you restore your wifi drivers:

https://www.mediafire.com/?auzcacssci9i97r

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting.

Gin2168

« Reply #4211 on: October 17, 2016, 10:02:59 pm »

Yeah in that case it might be a bit overkill I however think those 20000 mAh powerbanks will be plenty for a few days. (3,7 * 20 Ah = 111 Wh each and since you have 3 that will probably be plenty)

Oh, it's the output I'm more worried about. Wanted a Type-C powerbank that was capable of pushing the 15W/30W/3.0A as the 2.4A output on the current banks I have, may not be as advertised or may not be close enough to the "2.5A" max input on the GPDWin. Want to prevent it from Discharging while being charged. With the Surface 3, while it was pre-rated at a certain amount of input (can't remember off the top of my head), it was found that with higher quality wires and a higher output power block(Apple Type-C charger), that they were seeing faster recharge than with the standard cables/power block. Although, I'm not exactly looking to charge faster, merely to charge as fast as it will allow me without damaging the battery.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:07:19 pm by Gin2168 »

Gin2168

« Reply #4212 on: October 17, 2016, 10:04:49 pm »
*Was fixing the formatting on the post above this and it for some reason double posted... Disregard*
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:06:50 pm by Gin2168 »

Phawx

« Reply #4213 on: October 17, 2016, 10:10:09 pm »
Alright, current status is updating 1607 to latest update and then I'll make a video on how to clean up C: drive to have max space available.  I think getting to 50GB Free is going to be ezpz.  I'll try to push it for more.

I promise to do gaming videos tonight.  After I get my GPDwin to be lean and mean, I'll be ready to start using it.

Edit: Man, it feels so much better to be on a clean install.  Just gotta disable a bunch of jazz and dism purge and then I'll feel at home with this machine.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:21:34 pm by Phawx »

Faust

« Reply #4214 on: October 17, 2016, 10:21:19 pm »
Alright, current status is updating 1607 to latest update and then I'll make a video on how to clean up C: drive to have max space available.  I think getting to 50GB Free is going to be ezpz.  I'll try to push it for more.

I promise to do gaming videos tonight.  After I get my GPDwin to be lean and mean, I'll be ready to start using it.
Thanks for your hard work pal.