Author Topic: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO  (Read 659234 times)

Saber

Re: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 03:47:07 pm »
Kendy, what happens if you don't meet your goal?  Will the GPD Win be cancelled?  I am worried that if I back the project, and your goal isn't met, I will have lost $300 with nothing to show for it.  The IndieGogo campaign is set up with a "flexible goal" meaning you get our money even if you don't meet the goal.  Anyway, as long as the GPD Win will still get made at some point even if you don't meet the goal, I will happily pledge.

Also I agree with vcoleiro1 about the title.  Calling it a laptop will not grab many people's attention.  Calling it something like a Windows-based gaming handheld would probably be more effective.

Good luck!

This is absolutely my concern.
If the goal is not met, do we get a refund?
Will you produce the unit anyway even if the goal is not met?
It's a flexible goal so if GPD doesn't meet the $100,000 ceiling they'll still ship out a product, unless the whole project is ended by them. Being that the XD was prosperous, I doubt they will cancel. This funding campaign is just another way to raise capital and media interest. Whether they raise $299 or more than $10,000 won't make any dent in the grand scheme of things or it's fruition.

wermy

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 03:58:47 pm »
It's a flexible goal so if GPD doesn't meet the $100,000 ceiling they'll still ship out a product, unless the whole project is ended by them. Being that the XD was prosperous, I doubt they will cancel. This funding campaign is just another way to raise capital and media interest. Whether they raise $299 or more than $10,000 won't make any dent in the grand scheme of things or it's fruition.

What you're saying sounds reasonable, but it's really just speculation.  :\  I'm not willing to throw down $300 unless GPD themselves can confirm that they'll make the product either way the campaign goes.
GPD Win Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/CZrVzKX

ohno

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 04:18:08 pm »
Ordered.

This product is exactly what I've been waiting for.

For me, this is a perfect administration device. I've had my share of eee pc's and various tablets, all trying to have a convenient method of accomplishing tasks out and about.

Having a full featured pc in my pocket - can't wait. Having controls like a gameboy, to play some emulators on the go - bonus.

If there was an option to add 4G/LTE, or even an upgraded model with more RAM/HD space, I'd happily pay extra - just let me know :)

Kendy - thank you so much, I can't wait to get more information as production continues.

Saber

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 04:25:27 pm »
^wermy
The other side of the coin is the potential risk with being an early adopter(of any company). Fresh off the production line means you'll be recruited to notice imperfections in hardware and software that may have missed quality controls in place. The upside is you won't have to wait like the rest of us.  8)

Lax

• Host Anvil - Web Hosting
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 04:28:00 pm »
Ordered.

This product is exactly what I've been waiting for.

For me, this is a perfect administration device. I've had my share of eee pc's and various tablets, all trying to have a convenient method of accomplishing tasks out and about.

Having a full featured pc in my pocket - can't wait. Having controls like a gameboy, to play some emulators on the go - bonus.

If there was an option to add 4G/LTE, or even an upgraded model with more RAM/HD space, I'd happily pay extra - just let me know :)

Kendy - thank you so much, I can't wait to get more information as production continues.

Well at least they employ fluent-ish English speaking shills.
Turn off your Android games console when you are finished with it!

AVahne

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 04:28:15 pm »
Strange to see a campaign from an established manufacturer.
Anyway, $500? I'm sorry but now I've lost all interest. That's way too much considering the incredibly low specs and the expectations of a Chinese device. If you're trying to have people spend that much, especially with your horrid, hard-to-use keyboard layout, I honestly don't see how this will still any better than the failed UMPCs of old. If you're charging $500, then this device would need to have a good quality Wacom pen digitizer, high quality sticks and buttons, extremely high build quality and materials, backlit keyboard, etc. to make up for the weak specs.
Because even if you have a unique device, most people would rather just get a laptop or a tablet.

ohno

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 04:42:13 pm »

Not quite. I've been creeping for a while, but figured since there's finally a campaign to pre-order with, I'd register and put in my two cents.

I'm actually been following the Pyra more for the 4G/phone capability, but with that being a much smaller shop, who knows when they'll actually ship.

Lax

• Host Anvil - Web Hosting
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 04:44:43 pm »

Not quite. I've been creeping for a while, but figured since there's finally a campaign to pre-order with, I'd register and put in my two cents.

I'm actually been following the Pyra more for the 4G/phone capability, but with that being a much smaller shop, who knows when they'll actually ship.

Yeah I figured, don't you think the whole thing is a bit dodgy though?
Turn off your Android games console when you are finished with it!

wermy

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 04:58:45 pm »
Yeah I figured, don't you think the whole thing is a bit dodgy though?

What is dodgy?  It's not THAT weird for an established company to do a crowdfunding campaign for a new product.  The only thing that bugs me about it is the "flexible goal" part.  :\

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 05:07:55 pm »
ah~...not dual band WIFI....it's very disappointed....so I'll give up GPD WIN...

wermy

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 05:37:35 pm »
ah~...not dual band WIFI....it's very disappointed....so I'll give up GPD WIN...

I realize it's not ideal but couldn't you just plug in a tiny USB dongle?  There's a nice looking one that barely sticks out on Amazon, does dual-band 802.11 AC, $15.

LordDavon

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 05:44:52 pm »
We made a campaign on INDIEGOGO for GPD WIN.Hope you can support us and keep it going!!Thanks so much!!

Hi Kendy.  I would love to support your campaign.  Unfortunately, due to the L3/R3 placement on the device, buttons that I need for running in many of my Steam games,  I am going to have to pass on the device.  Since I would have to use an additional controller for your device anyway, I couldn't use it as a pocket-able gaming device.  The Teclast X98 Pro (4GB + Dual Boot) and Xiaomi MiPad 2 (2GB + Win10 Only) both use the Z8500 CPU, are $50 less in price, and adding a keyboard case is a pretty simple affair.  While not as small, the Xiaomi isn't much larger with case.  If the placement of these keys is reconsidered, to a place where I can use both sticks while holding the buttons, I am happy to support your campaign.

ohno

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 06:17:59 pm »
299 shipped is where I'm comfortable pulling the trigger.

There's no way it will actually be 500 on release, I'm sure that markup is just so you feel value pre-ordering at 299. The same happened with the GPD XD (wasn't it 250 retail, preorder 180, and can be picked up now for 180 or so?)

Even on the baidu forums, users were commenting between 1200 - 2000 yuan ($180-300 for higher specs) for suggested prices they'd pay. I think many are discouraged by the 299 price tag, but it is a first-gen niche device - it's not competing against the tablet market, that's not the point.

Can you imagine if they actually get momentum with this thing, and major manufacturers like HP or Asus start looking back into the UMPC space?

Although I'm not a fan of the flexible goal campaign type, I think they'll hit their goal - especially if they put up some video of working prototypes. At minimum, they'll garner more publicity from other tech crowds who were previously unaware pocket pc's may be coming back into the picture.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:41:45 pm by ohno »

wermy

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2016, 07:06:10 pm »
Although I'm not a fan of the flexible goal campaign type, I think they'll hit their goal - especially if they put up some video of working prototypes. At minimum, they'll garner more publicity from other tech crowds who were previously unaware pocket pc's may be coming back into the picture.

Eehhhh, I really wish I could be as optimistic.  They've gotten 13 pre-orders in the first 18 hours or so, and they need, what, 300+ to hit their goal?  I don't think they'll make it, honestly.  Which is why I'm so nervous about the flexible goal :(

I suppose we could have some smaller distributers come in and buy a few of the 5x and 10x perks, though.  That would help a lot.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 07:11:10 pm by wermy »

vcoleiro1

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 09:06:03 pm »
To be fair they had mentioned doing a crowd funding on the Baidu forum for some time now.   I do't know the reason, it's hard to decipher Google chinese to English translations.  But yeah, there's that.

Post a new topic