Author Topic: Dear GPD Team, Please talk to the community about GPDwin 2 so we can contribute.  (Read 20078 times)

Phawx (OP)

Hello GPD team,

On our chat this image was shown by @GY22 :

If you are just now in the planning stages of GPDwin2, please include us in the discussion.

When I see the GPD Pocket, it's nice to see the Heatsink/Fan looks to have a better design now.   I don't know how long the process is going to take for the GPDwin2 but some potential processors to look at:

M3-7Y30
AMD Raven Ridge

Obviously if we are still a year or so away from a GPD win 2, which processor to use will change.  Right now, the M3-7Y30 is the same as an expensive Skylake mobile part but costs MUCH less.  Also I've already seen benches of this chip so I know it can emulate Dolphin with ease.

Perhaps if the GPD team could provide early designs of what the GPDwin 2 will look like, we can provide some feedback.

L3/R3 buttons working on the analog sticks is universally agreed upon.  The analog sticks on the GPDwin are really nice.  The DPAD could be better.  I know the polling rate should be a priority as well. 

I've already made my arguments for formfactor, but not everyone agreed on that, so again, perhaps it would be better to get some feedback on designs from GPD team directly.

Skelton-retired

The polling rate was fixed after a driver release.
I agree with l3 and r3 as clickable. And maybe a better SoC, but battery time would be poor probably.
To be honest I am more intrested in xd2 rather than a second gpdwin. I am very Happy with the current so another Android device would be a perfect companion for it.
Retired

Willburn

Oh yes! Second GPD Win version!!!
Take all my money GPD!

For the love of god, this time around please have a centered keyboard and a good quality SD card reader which does not fall asleep every 30 seconds.

If possible a backlit keyboard would be amazing as well.

And 8 gigs or RAM is a must!

Phawx, maybe it would make sense for you to compile a wanted features list in the top post?

ripblade

yes GPD WIN 2
ALSO MAYBE A CAMERA & THE ABILITY TO GO INTO AN ANDROID MODE
CLICKABLE L3 R3 8 GB RAM BETTER HEAT SHRINK
 A BACK LIGHT KEYBOARD LIKE THE PYRA
 MORE SLOTS FOR STORAGE SD TYPE
ABILITY TO FOR A SIM CARD
ALSO EASY UPGRADE FOR FUTURE PROOFING CPU SO ON
BASICALLY WHAT THE PYRA IS GONNA BE 

tayfunyasar

Please consider to add to plan a dock or a back cover with extra battery and fan.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

SONY

• !
I just want a GPD XD2, nothing else.
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

hellomoto

core m3 pls

Better CPU

Better cooling design

Backlit keyboard

Better build quality(especially the shoulder buttons, they feel kinda brittle)

Clickable thumbsticks

More internal storage space

baka-neko

- CoreM: I don't know if it is technically possible and only a matter of cost, but I would gladly pay more for a CoreM SOC.

- 8 GB of RAM, if possible 128 GB of storage.

- Full sized SD card slot, and if possible 2 slots, just like on the Pandora / Pyra.
Full SDs are cheaper, faster, have more storage and 2 slots will give a lot of storage, much needed for a Windows PC!

- OFN (optical finger navigation) and actual dedicated mouse buttons, just like on the Viliv N5, which will remove the need to switch between XInput and Mouse mode.

- Quality stereo speakers!

- Better quality control :3

- Please keep the same size (5.5" to 6") and 720p resolution, or even better: 800p (1280x800 px).
More isn't needed for a device this small and will just make the Windows experience a pain, and will slow down the device.

- Maybe you should consider making 2 editions: A standard with an Atom SOC, and a premium with the best CoreM SOC, or you could make the GPD Win 2 a premium device, and still sell the GPD Win 1 at a lower entry price.

Maniac

- Please keep the same size (5.5" to 6") and 720p resolution, or even better: 800p (1280x800 px).
More isn't needed for a device this small and will just make the Windows experience a pain, and will slow down the device.

I agree with your points, except I think 1366x768 would be the ideal resolution :) This will allow for 1024x768 games to run.

Rcoltrane

I'm loving my GPD XD and I hope you guys to keep developing the GPD Win 2 with more powerful hardware together with a better design. Please keep the physical keyboard and all the physical game buttons, this setup is the best!!

Oh, and please, get rid of that annoying touch screen. We don't need crappy touch screens in these devices! I hate touch screens.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:52:33 pm by Rcoltrane »

RetroVortex

Realistic expectations of a GPD Win 2 IMO:

- Same CPU
- 8GB RAM
- 128gb memory
- MicroSD slot, possibly 2, full sized SD slot would be nice also but seems unlikely due to space issues. Likely will be the same microSD card slot or one of similar spec that doesn't "sleep" so often.
- Improved cooling system. (The fan barely does anything at all and the way the heat sink is handled could be improved)
- Stereo Speakers
- 1366x768 or 1080p screen. Likely same size or up to an inch bigger with less bezel.

Would also like clickable sticks of L3/R3 buttons re-positioned somewhere more convenient, possibly getting back the old system from the GPD XD (and a Xbox button in the middle also)

Would also be nice to have a build of android like other similar spec windows tablets have that isn't wrought with issues but I won't hold my breath on that.

More consistent QC and returns support too would be good but again, not holding my breath.

Saber

Hello GPD team,

On our chat this image was shown by @GY22 :

If you are just now in the planning stages of GPDwin2, please include us in the discussion.

This please, so we avoid the mistakes of the Win 1 GPD team.

adamantibus

-Clickable sticks.

-Stereo speakers located far from where you hold the device.

-Better cooling system.

-Way better battery.

mr.white

-Clickable sticks.

-Stereo speakers located far from where you hold the device.

-Better cooling system.

-Way better battery.

Better battery = bigger size = more space. Same goes for the stereo speaker etc.

First question is, would you guys like the same formfactor as the current GPD Win or should it be the same size as the Pocket?

vcoleiro1

The ALPS sticks GPD use on the GPD WIN (and I think on the XD) are low profile sticks.  They don't have center click because of this.  To use center click sticks there are two options

1) They can use the ALPS center click sticks , but they are a much deeper part.  Therefore the WIN would need to be made deeper ie thicker, maybe 5-7mm thicker.   

2)  They can use a low profile clickable nub, like those planned for the Pyra.

Mind you, if they do make it thicker, it would also open the door for a bigger battery. Or perhaps even a case that included a battery door for battery quick change over.

mickael28

I didn't see the mention of support for Thunderbolt 3 speed on the USB-C port. We could connect a bunch of powerful devices to the little gadget.

Maniac

- 1366x768 or 1080p screen. Likely same size or up to an inch bigger with less bezel.
1080p is too high of a resolution, games won't run well, so it's pretty pointless. 960x540 is non-standard and would look poor.

Better battery = bigger size = more space. Same goes for the stereo speaker etc.

First question is, would you guys like the same formfactor as the current GPD Win or should it be the same size as the Pocket?

I think stereo speakers should be doable without changing the form factor. They couldn't do it in the first round because they'd have to re-engineer the whole device due to the last minute fan. The same form factor is preferred... a "portable" gaming system you can't easily fit into your pocket isn't portable. That's the problem with my nvidia Shield.

mickael28

1080p is too high of a resolution, games won't run well, so it's pretty pointless.

Not pointless at all, ie, some of us won't use the device just for gaming, in fact, some might buy it mainly to have a small device with such a resolution and Windows running (myself included). I've not bought it yet, because of the poor resolution, for non-gaming tasks and low RAM.

Faust

1080p is too high of a resolution, games won't run well, so it's pretty pointless.

Not pointless at all, ie, some of us won't use the device just for gaming, in fact, some might buy it mainly to have a small device with such a resolution and Windows running (myself included). I've not bought it yet, because of the poor resolution, for non-gaming tasks and low RAM.
Then buy the Pocket.

I don't see why GPD should kill a gaming device with such useless spec, the processor is too weak.

The Win is made to play games and for the gamers, if you want a Umpc not for gaming, then buy the Pocket.

Don't try to change the product with features that no one wants, for which one you aren't the target, to make something that suits your own taste.
We want to get the best performances, nothing else.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:03:57 pm by Faust »

Post a new topic