Author Topic: Compilation of the most useful tips and tweaks. All-in-one download included.  (Read 3732 times)

kkaracho

i should probably say i didnt change the ram settings since i heard they can cause a device to get bricked and since i flashed many different devices already i thought flashing the bios wouldnt be that much of a problem for me... well it seems my bios is fine since my usb stick boots and i can access it, so thats probably not the problem

bitersnake (OP)

When I saw this thread with 2 replies I already knew its a catastrophe waiting to happen. 
Flashing bios and setting ram speed to "fast" has already bricked many devices. Those two tips should be removed asap.
Blindly following this guide is russian roulette with your gpd win.

I've been following the posts on the board here and most other prominent communities for the GPD Win since many months and haven't come across a single instance of any catastrophes with changing the RAM speed grade to fast. I agree that it is a high-risk move in general for all devices but I've not heard of any issues arising from this on the Win (irrespective of model, revision etc). 

mdoc

When I saw this thread with 2 replies I already knew its a catastrophe waiting to happen. 
Flashing bios and setting ram speed to "fast" has already bricked many devices. Those two tips should be removed asap.
Blindly following this guide is russian roulette with your gpd win.

I've been following the posts on the board here and most other prominent communities for the GPD Win since many months and haven't come across a single instance of any catastrophes with changing the RAM speed grade to fast. I agree that it is a high-risk move in general for all devices but I've not heard of any issues arising from this on the Win (irrespective of model, revision etc).

https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/65sw56/random_unexpected_restarts_but_no_error_dumps/
https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/5c9duk/gpd_win_general_faq/dceqzm5/
https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/5fcvlx/changing_dram_speed_grade_risk/daj83a2/

Even more times I've seen bios downgrade bricks.

bitersnake (OP)

Well thanks for posting these-- while these threads don't seem very conclusive (except for I think one), it is enough to suggest that the setting has caused issues (perhaps more so on earlier devices). Will update the guide and include a warning.

Maniac

did what you said but it didnt help, windows still wont boot, i will try recovering a restore point now and hope that helps atleast

If that doesn't work, you can try boot logging:
http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-enable-boot-logging-for-fixing-startup-problems-in-windows.html

kkaracho

yeah sadly enough it cant restore ... gives an unknown error, maybe something messed up the installation?
seems like i cant do anything else than reinstall :(

EDIT: well yeah i reinstalled windows now and it works again, sucks i really had to reinstall it and idek why i needed to since i only updated the bios  ::)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:28:11 am by kkaracho »

Maniac

Yeah, weird. Glad it works!

Whitewolf99

thanks for the compilation, bitersnake!

setup my gpd win exactly like this. the only problem i have right now is with the controller companion from steam.

when i have the program enabled and the gpd in xinput, the display doesnt go to sleep. everytime it tries the controller disconnects and automatically reconnects waking the device up again.

could this be a problem with on of the tweaks?

bitersnake (OP)

thanks for the compilation, bitersnake!

setup my gpd win exactly like this. the only problem i have right now is with the controller companion from steam.

when i have the program enabled and the gpd in xinput, the display doesnt go to sleep. everytime it tries the controller disconnects and automatically reconnects waking the device up again.

could this be a problem with on of the tweaks?

Well I can say with certainty that this is not a direct result of any settings or configurations that I've listed in the guide but I also do not have a solution to your problem, unfortunately. Perhaps I did not understand the issue you're facing correctly, but all I can offer at this point is that for me, the controller gets disconnected from my games if the screen goes off for whatever reason (for instance, when changing from windowed to full screen mode) but then it reconnects in a moment or two-- this is normal behaviour but since I don't use the Steam controller companion, I cannot precisely say what's going wrong for you-- maybe someone else can chip in.

Whitewolf99

you are totally right. it had nothing to do with controller companion. display doesnt go off even without the program.

well, if it is normal behaviour in xinput, that the controller disconnects and then reconnects, when the display goes off, the idea of being in xinput all the time (with controller companion) is not viable.

thanks for answering!

bitersnake (OP)

well, if it is normal behaviour in xinput, that the controller disconnects and then reconnects, when the display goes off, the idea of being in xinput all the time (with controller companion) is not viable.

Agreed. It just happens that the 3-4 games that I have on my device right now are all fairly new and will poll for the controller to be reconnected if they detect that the connection was dropped so so far I haven't had issues. I can't quite remember but there were a couple of posts on the board about people using some third party programmes to circumvent similar issues.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic