Author Topic: Buy a GPD Win, or wait for GPD Win 2?  (Read 932 times)

vonfnas (OP)

Buy a GPD Win, or wait for GPD Win 2?
« on: May 12, 2017, 04:10:32 pm »
Sorry for asking such stupid questions.

Should I buy a GPD Win, or wait for the GPD Win 2?

The reason I'm asking, and I know we can only speculate, but is there a ETA on GPD Win 2?

If I would go for the regular GPD Win, which is the best, Z8700 or Z8750?

Willburn

Re: Buy a GPD Win, or wait for GPD Win 2?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 04:15:34 pm »
You are asking the golden question  ;)

Seeing as GPD right now is still in the planning stage and they haven't even decided on a processor for the GPD Win 2 yet I think it's safe to say that we cannot expect the Win 2 before sometime next year.

If you can wait that long, make yourself comfortable ;) Otherwise I would recommend you buy the z8750 version with the aluminum top if you want to treat yourself. That one is the best and sexiest one out currently.

nmkd

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 04:32:31 pm »
Sorry for asking such stupid questions.

Should I buy a GPD Win, or wait for the GPD Win 2?

The reason I'm asking, and I know we can only speculate, but is there a ETA on GPD Win 2?

If I would go for the regular GPD Win, which is the best, Z8700 or Z8750?

The Win 2 won't come out this year.

Get the Z8750.

mr.white

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 05:09:58 pm »
I'm pretty sure it will come out end of this year. Otherwise they wouln't have anything to release - nothing means no company income.

dreamesper

• Dreamesper
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 05:30:54 pm »
Ya, i would agree... I wouldn't expect a WIN 2 until at least late 2018 or so.

vonfnas (OP)

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 05:57:35 pm »
You are asking the golden question  ;)

Seeing as GPD right now is still in the planning stage and they haven't even decided on a processor for the GPD Win 2 yet I think it's safe to say that we cannot expect the Win 2 before sometime next year.

If you can wait that long, make yourself comfortable ;) Otherwise I would recommend you buy the z8750 version with the aluminum top if you want to treat yourself. That one is the best and sexiest one out currently.

The Win 2 won't come out this year.

Get the Z8750.

I'm pretty sure it will come out end of this year. Otherwise they wouln't have anything to release - nothing means no company income.

Ya, i would agree... I wouldn't expect a WIN 2 until at least late 2018 or so.

Thanks for your replies, guys!
I'll most likely pick up a z8750 at the end of the month :)

IF GPD Win 2 would get released this year, I'll hand over the z8750 to my wife and buy a GPD Win 2 for myself :D

AVahne

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 08:02:08 pm »

They're still selling the XD and the Win though. And they have the Pocket, so there's still money coming in at the end of this year.

skelton

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 08:03:07 pm »

They're still selling the XD and the Win though. And they have the Pocket, so there's still money coming in at the end of this year.

And the next GPD XD 2 that should be at the end of this year most probably.
Retired

mdoc

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 11:13:07 pm »
GPD Win 2 will come out this year. Stop speculating when there is an official answer.
Wade said they are targeting release before smatch z, which they say is this year.
(The smatch z probably won't release ever, or will be garbage but thats not the point.)

vcoleiro1

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 12:58:13 am »
GPD Win 2 will come out this year. Stop speculating when there is an official answer.
Wade said they are targeting release before smatch z, which they say is this year.
(The smatch z probably won't release ever, or will be garbage but thats not the point.)

Got  a link to where he said that?

As far as I'm aware, he has repeatedly refused to answer that question stating that he doesn't know yet when it will release.  He made one joking reference to the Smach Z once.  So yeah, sorry to ask, but do ytou have a link to that comment made by Wade?

midknight

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 01:31:15 am »
there is no info on when the win 2 is coming out just go ahead and get the win the more time you spend waiting the more time you spend not playing games and in general you don't want to buy the gpd devices when they come out the will need time to find bugs and fix them anyway. by the time you are tired of the regular win you could very easily sell it for 200 to 250 and by a win 2 that most of the bugs have been dealt with on.

mr.white

Buy a GPD Win, or wait for GPD Win 2?
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 06:04:05 am »

Thats right, but the time before xmas is always the best time to sell your shiny new products. The sales for the XD, Win and Pocket will be surely decreased by then. Also a Pocket 2 is for 100% sure after this success, coming behind the Win 2.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:06:04 am by mr.white »

ripblade

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 02:26:59 pm »
i would say buy a GPD WIN now its a truly fantastic device
i cant believe how great this device is
stock up on MINI USB sticks and large capacity micro sd mem cards & when the win 2 comes out sell your win 1 and you have all your storage devices ready to go and a good understanding how to navigate the new win 2 

mr.white

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 04:09:11 pm »
I agree, no reason to wait for the Win 2. Just buy it and have fun.