Author Topic: Battery Upgrade  (Read 629 times)

vcoleiro1 (OP)

Battery Upgrade
« on: May 15, 2017, 01:58:11 am »
I was looking at the thread below and was wondering if anyone has tried putting a larger battery into the WIN?

Also , does anyone know the dimensions of the WIN battery?

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5112249415

Side note, replacements for sale:  https://world.taobao.com/item/546630897899.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.HLpNhv#detail
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:16:00 am by vcoleiro1 »

exorio

Re: Battery Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 02:47:31 pm »
I think it has been discussed before.

Anyway 15000 mah with that size looks fishy to me.

I've had this idea too, been searching around for awhile.

Nothing that could fit in the case. Longer, and the battery will obstruct the fan and the speaker.

Wider, it will obstruct the fan switches and a risk of puncturing the battery below the motherboard.

Thicker, won't fit in the case.

Most likely the very possible way to do this is getting a wider battery and remove the fan switch.

I also consulted with an Alibaba vendor, she said the biggest battery she can provide while maintaining the size (if a little bigger) is 7000 mah. And I'm not sure whether it will fit in the Win.

Not worth it I guess. Best way to have bigger battery is to carry a powerbank with you.

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 03:19:17 pm »
@exorio

Do you know the dimensions of the GPD WIN battery?

P.S Yeah , I dont think anyone believed that 15000mAh battery that guy was referring to

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 03:24:48 pm »
3d print thicker bottom case... transfer over the controls.... install larger battery... call it a day.

There was also a spacer mod someone on the chinese forums did... which would accomplish the same thing... more space for stuff. I actually wouldn't mind if the win was heavier... its very light to me currently.

exorio

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 04:03:26 pm »
Do you know the dimensions of the GPD WIN battery?

Nope I don't. Searching around the label don't give me any results as well.

P.S Yeah , I dont think anyone believed that 15000mAh battery that guy was referring to

Probably you can cramp 10000 mah in there, with wider battery and removing the fan switch.

Anyway if anyone decided to took the plunge I would like to know. Here're the results from AliExpress, with choice of longer and wider dimensions :

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-3.7v-10000mah-battery.html

3d print thicker bottom case... transfer over the controls.... install larger battery... call it a day.

There was also a spacer mod someone on the chinese forums did... which would accomplish the same thing... more space for stuff. I actually wouldn't mind if the win was heavier... its very light to me currently.

3D printing won't be that easy. It takes several attempts and would be very costly (both time and money). Yes, the 3D model are probably available out there, but it won't be one time run and you'll have a perfect print.

The results won't be so nice too, if you use PLA printers, it got this kind of grates marking, so it won't blend in to the lower case of the win. I'm also won't be sure if the buttons faceplate could sit on the printed spacer properly either.

Most of the time, the 3D prints are meant to be a master for creating molds. It needed to be retouched afterwards. Not the main product itself. Then it should be created using injected plastic. That's the proper use of 3D printing. Although it's possible to directly use a direct printed product though, but aestethically it's rubbish.

It is interesting to see such extreme mods on such small device though.

exorio

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 04:04:10 pm »
double post
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:15:07 pm by exorio »

Pochowandpoch

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 08:31:18 am »

exorio

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 09:40:39 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkfusWdou6M

Thanks for the link.

Sacrificing the speaker and the fan (and the fan switches) is the minimal requirement for bigger battery.

With that added dimension we only could probably go up to 7000 mah or something.

Probably a good input for GPD Win 2. I won't mind a little bulk if they can cramp 10000 mah battery in it.