Author Topic: Anyone been working on any heatsink mods?  (Read 1059 times)

MJPIA (OP)

Anyone been working on any heatsink mods?
« on: April 12, 2017, 02:41:25 am »
Been through a couple failed experiments and now that I seem to have something workable I'm wondering has anyone else been planning/working on their own heatsink mods?
Can never have too many ideas thrown together out there.

Here's my current idea.
Started with a foot long 3mm thin wall copper tube.

Milled a 2x4 flat and cut a 1/8th inch slot .063 deep and secured the tube in the slot with .021 safety wire.

Using the mill removed all material above the slot.

Leaving me with a inverted copper U.

Realized I was supposed to cut a .055 deep slot and remove .063 and instead did the opposite, hey never said I was smart.
Relatively easy to fix later on.

Plan is to put an entire row of them across the outlet of the heatsink, not sure how long I will make each piece yet.
Need to find get some visual info on the airflow inside before I figure that out.
Gonna get some plexiglass, mount the fan on top of the plexi like how its installed on the system and use smoke or colored water vapor to see how air flows through the heatsink and go from there.
I jump from project to project in-between my work so I have no idea how long this'll take but anyone who wants to follow along and throw out suggestions is more than welcome.

So anyone got their own ideas they are working on or are floating around in their head?

MJPIA (OP)

Re: Anyone been working on any heatsink mods?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:03:43 pm »
Finally got some incense to see how exactly the air flows through.

Visually by eye I'd estimate roughly 2/3rds of the airflow goes straight down and out with a third of the flow going the long way out through the inside with a tiny amount oozing around the edges.
I'd need a old original heatsink to test to say for sure which I don't have but given what I know now I'm not surprised the finned heatsink performed poorly.

The fins extended way to far going underneath the fan, the fins probably would have worked better if they were half the length.
I may change plans and make curved fins to mesh with how the airflow goes and seal off the dead zones where little to no air moves.
Dunno yet.

Willburn

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:28:19 am »
So...the non-finned heatsinks are better? Is that what you are saying?

AVahne

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:54:22 pm »
Only better because the original fins were poorly placed.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 04:12:32 am »
Heatsink mods are a plenty on the chinese forums.  But I'm sure you would have seen them

Not a heat sink mod, but I like the distance this guy went to

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5082117396

MJPIA (OP)

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 04:48:14 am »
I've never had much a interest in making it thicker or going completely overboard as some have done and am just interested in improving the efficiency of the stock heatsink but if I ever did something I'd want to imitate this guy.
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5087543788

This spacer is incredibly well done.
I think he's had it printed already and there are pictures of the spacer somewhere on Tieba.

Willburn

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 08:39:23 am »
I've never had much a interest in making it thicker or going completely overboard as some have done and am just interested in improving the efficiency of the stock heatsink but if I ever did something I'd want to imitate this guy.
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5087543788

This spacer is incredibly well done.
I think he's had it printed already and there are pictures of the spacer somewhere on Tieba.

Wow, that's insane!
That's what I call dedication :D

vcoleiro1

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 12:12:09 am »
The all out effort this guy put in for this heat sink and fan mod

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5094978906
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:17:48 pm by vcoleiro1 »

bitersnake

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 12:02:39 pm »
Man that's like the mother of all heatsink mods! Wont be surprised if this guy would next decide to introduce a water cooled heat exchanger system.

elwing

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 09:30:17 pm »
Man that's like the mother of all heatsink mods! Wont be surprised if this guy would next decide to introduce a water cooled heat exchanger system.
And wheels to transport it?

Post a new topic
Post a new topic