Author Topic: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO  (Read 580275 times)

vcoleiro1

Re: GPD WIN on INDIEGOGO
« Reply #810 on: May 31, 2016, 05:03:06 am »
Japanese Crowd Funding Campaign for the GPD WIN has just started.

Check it here: https://www.makuake.com/project/gpd-win/

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #811 on: May 31, 2016, 08:40:23 am »
GPD WIN Japanese crowdfunding campaign go live today.
By the agent of  Japan MIDORIYA ELECTRIC CO.,LTD.(緑屋電気株式会社)
Please click into the link blow for detail information: https://www.makuake.com/project/gpd-win/

LordDavon

« Reply #813 on: May 31, 2016, 03:55:06 pm »
@kendyzhu777
what mean this announce?

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/GPD-Win-5-5-inch-Game-Console-Intel-Atom-X5-Z8500-Windows-10-OS-4GB-64GB-Gamepad-Quad-Core-2-24GHz-Gorilla-Glass-Screen-1280-720-Type-C---Black-367872.html

Delivery time: 2016-07-01

lol... $330.  We called that one!  Watch them release a $50 off coupon code so people get it for less than the backers!

eragon2890

• e
« Reply #814 on: May 31, 2016, 04:04:00 pm »
@kendyzhu777
what mean this announce?

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/GPD-Win-5-5-inch-Game-Console-Intel-Atom-X5-Z8500-Windows-10-OS-4GB-64GB-Gamepad-Quad-Core-2-24GHz-Gorilla-Glass-Screen-1280-720-Type-C---Black-367872.html

Delivery time: 2016-07-01

lol... $330.  We called that one!  Watch them release a $50 off coupon code so people get it for less than the backers!

well to be honest, if you buy it at this point, you are a semi-back as far as I am concerned, as it clearly says presale, and the device still has to be mass-manufactured. So I donīt really see the problem. I got my GPD XD in preorder last year for 127 euros, if I want to buy a new one sometime in the future, I pay at least 150, a 20% increase in price. Presales/preorders are cheaper.

Given that the only perk in the indiegogo was getting a device, I donīt see the difference between that and this presale. :)

­

« Reply #815 on: May 31, 2016, 04:20:38 pm »
It's an issue because GPD doesn't set an MSRP, and it uses every opportunity it has to bait more people into preordering by lowering the price and exclaiming it's "the last chance to get it cheap!". It's just a poor and sleazy business tactic - the same complaint I had about the Indiegogo campaign which was, in fact, just a very cheap preorder page feigning a proper backing campaign.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I'm not getting the device until I get some reviews, or possibly never - and for those who've backed preordered it it's too late.

LordDavon

« Reply #816 on: May 31, 2016, 04:41:16 pm »
well to be honest, if you buy it at this point, you are a semi-back as far as I am concerned, as it clearly says presale, and the device still has to be mass-manufactured. So I donīt really see the problem. I got my GPD XD in preorder last year for 127 euros, if I want to buy a new one sometime in the future, I pay at least 150, a 20% increase in price. Presales/preorders are cheaper.

Given that the only perk in the indiegogo was getting a device, I donīt see the difference between that and this presale. :)

GPD does set the MSRP.  MSRP is Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price. GPD is the manufacturer. The difference is that when we backed GPD, the money went to GPD.  When you preorder, you are only giving the money to Geekbuying.  I doubt they have preordered anything from GPD, and chances are, GPD will only see the money around the time the device ships.  If they get the device for less than the backers, especially after @kendyzhu777 promised us that it would retail for much higher than the backer price, I will never believe GPD again.

We backed GPD.  I don't know anyone who is "backing" Geekbuying.

­

« Reply #817 on: May 31, 2016, 08:33:37 pm »
Don't fool yourself, they aren't setting an MSRP (note: not "the" MSRP) because they are constantly changing the targeted value of the device.
GPD Win backer price: $300.
GPD Win MSRP on Indiegogo: $500.
GPD Win Japanese backer price: $280.
GPD Win on Geekbuying: $330 with a guaranteed "discount" of $50.

So, yeah. They are constantly changing the targeted price and not setting an MSRP, at least not one that's visible for consumers.

Also, "backing" GPD is a backwards concept seeing as GPD is a large company, and not a small team. Do not fool yourself, you've preordered an overpriced device you from the manufacturer via a crowdfunding site.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I've said most of it from the start. Seeing people vehemently defend bad business practices because of a cool product (which I admit, for all of its possible flaws - it is cool and enticing) just makes me sad, and if I can change it by making people more critical I will.

skelton

« Reply #818 on: May 31, 2016, 09:49:27 pm »
Gpd is a not a big company,in fact they were just a división of jxd before they stablished by themseleves. I agree to you with the pricing though. I personally will never back any device vía indiegogo, kickstarter or wahatwver after the terrible experiencia with gcw zero.
Retired

CampGareth

« Reply #819 on: May 31, 2016, 09:57:28 pm »
I wonder what the actual availability date is going to be. First July according to geekbuying (incidentally $280 sounds like a decent price, similar to a low end laptop but obviously this has portability), October according to indiegogo, Spring 2017 according to makuake. I'm going to wait for availability before ordering from anywhere, july wouldn't be too bad but spring next year would suck, 6-9 months if you've already paid your money is a looong time to wait.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #820 on: May 31, 2016, 11:53:39 pm »
A few things

1)  I don't think the geekbuying date is correct, not from what I have been reading anyway.   Both Indiegogo and Makuake claim a delivery of October, I doubt a third party would under cut that. But that's beside the point, from what I read on Baidu, thats not going to happen.  I think the plan is to build 60 units by hand in mid june, some go to testers.  That said, things seem to have slipped a few weeks . The handmade prototype which was scheduled for April seemed to happen in deep may for example.   

2) RRP means nothing. There is just the wholesale price , then what reseller will sell it for for, and that will vary, some will have 30% markup , some will have 40% markup.  At the time the price went up to $330 on Indiegogo, Kendy mentioned at that time that $330 would be the pre-order price.

3) There is talk that the first units , perhaps Beta units will have the Z8500 instead of the Z8550.   Kendy, if you're reading this can you clarify what the story is here.   
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4582937501

4) That Japanese crowdfunding was for only 50 units which have already sold out (in 12 hours) .    Kendy, Are more units going to be added?  The last thing you want is for Japanese media to report the Makuake crowdfunding , only for people to be led to a page which says "Out of Stock"

5)  The Taoboa page continues to take WIN reservations for the chinese crowdfunding(now at 113 reservations) https://world.taobao.com/item/532637407624.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a1z10.5006-c.w25161-12508239259.1.q6M8rV

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:12:11 am by vcoleiro1 »

vcoleiro1

« Reply #821 on: June 01, 2016, 07:21:51 am »
Indiegogo contributions by country, looks like Japanese contributors were the majority by far

Click image to enlarge
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 07:46:06 am by vcoleiro1 »

Thraka

« Reply #822 on: June 01, 2016, 10:02:49 pm »
The scaling doesn't apply in game since most games handle that internally (and it's why some games have UI size sliders in the options menu)

I wasn't intending to state that it does, rather that games can fall into the category of "doesn't cooperate with the scaling".
Offhand, Final Fantasy XIV falls into this category, as the launcher buttons appear to be unusable if scaling is enabled.

You can disable scaling per process in the executable properties. Additionally I don't think it's going to be much of a problem. The resolution of the display is not that big. I'm not sure why they are pointing it out.

Thraka

« Reply #823 on: June 01, 2016, 10:05:34 pm »
I just found out about this device. It looks amazing. I was just thinking about ditching my cell phone and just getting some sort of organizer, this would totally fit the bill with the added plus of gaming.

BlazingSoul

« Reply #824 on: June 02, 2016, 12:08:09 am »
Indiegogo contributions by country, looks like Japanese contributors were the majority by far

Click image to enlarge

Japan sure love handhelds.

Post a new topic