Author Topic: SD card heats up  (Read 388 times)

adallas91 (OP)

SD card heats up
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:59:39 pm »
Hi all,

Another question - when I'm using my device or when it's closed over in sleep mode, I've noticed that my SD card heats up pretty ferociously, to the point where it's too hot to keep my finger on. The rest of the device is cool enough but it's just the small exposed too of the sd card that gets hot.

When I turn the device off and pop the card out it cools off very quickly.

Anyone else noticed this, any cause for concern?

particleman

Re: SD card heats up
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 12:32:13 am »
I also noticed this.  What do you mean the exposed part?.  Mine is flush

adallas91 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 01:23:23 am »
Well, yes, it does sit flush but I mean the small part of the SD card you can see. The part you push in order to eject from the device. I'm not one to question heat from a device but this is to the point where I couldn't keep my finger on it.

sirp0p0

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 02:19:54 am »
Probably just heat from the CPU channelling through the metal of the SD slot. The CPU doesn't have a heatsink or any airflow so can get quite hot but it will throttle itself down to prevent failure. I imagine it's heating the board and the SD housing.

adallas91 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 02:12:58 am »
Update.

So I've been trying to troubleshoot, and noticed that now since I noticed the heat my GPD actually doesn't recognise my SD card.

The heat appears literally as soon as either the GPD is turned on or the SD card is inserted, and then dissipates as Within 3 seconds of it being turned off.

The heat is actually to the point where I don't want to leave it near anything in sleep mode.

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 03:05:00 am »
Maybe try checking the sd card on your pc. The reason I mention this is that I once corrupted a card when I ejected it while it was being used (this happened with a MicroSD, an SD, and a DuoStick). After I tried using it, the pc wouldn't recognize it and the card would heat up bad. So it could be that the card is bad and is causing the heating.

That may not be the case but it could be another step in your troubleshooting process. There are also other methods of checking if your card is good. Have you recently put big files on it? Could be a fake card. There was one card I had that I didn't know was fake until I reached its "true" capacity. Then files started to be corrupted.

-hope it helps-

adallas91 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 06:01:25 pm »
Turns out you're right, it was the SD card!

I put it in the adapter and into my computer, the thing heated up so much and so quickly that it started to melt the adapter! I was shocked. I've never come across this with an SD card. Thankfully it didn't damage my XD or my Mac.

From what I could tell it was a legit 32gb Sandisk. Dunno if it's worth reaching out to them over or even if they would do anything though.

Thanks for the help!

sirp0p0

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 03:18:09 am »
That is weird.

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 03:29:16 am »
NP! glad I could help.
Unfortunately my experience comes from all the things I have screwed up hehe.  ;D

Alphos2000

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 10:08:12 pm »
Turns out you're right, it was the SD card!

I put it in the adapter and into my computer, the thing heated up so much and so quickly that it started to melt the adapter! I was shocked. I've never come across this with an SD card. Thankfully it didn't damage my XD or my Mac.

From what I could tell it was a legit 32gb Sandisk. Dunno if it's worth reaching out to them over or even if they would do anything though.

Thanks for the help!
The problem is your SanDisk card. Most SanDisk SD cards are shit:

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/03/16/reports-suggesting-the-nintendo-switch-is-melting-sd-cards-are-appearing-online/

I've always heard problems about SanDisk cards. I suggest buying Samsung SD cards next time.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:10:37 pm by Alphos2000 »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic