Author Topic: Help with emulating PC games  (Read 694 times)

miguel.tenshi (OP)

Help with emulating PC games
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:31:09 pm »
Hi.

I want to emulate and play some PC games.

The games I want to play are:

Prince of Persia

Prince of Persia 2: The shadow and the flame

Diablo 2 Lord of destruction

Streets of Rage Remake

Golden Axe Myths.

I've tried this

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/play-retro-pc-games-android-with-dosbox-turbo-0155457/

and this

https://youtu.be/hdSmN_Vua9s

But neither method works.

The closest I got was with DosBox Turbo, no frontend, going through dos commands and playing PoP...

Also, I found a couple of videos of people playing SoRR with ExaGear, messaged them to ask how, but they ignore me.

Please keep in mind I am kind of a noob, when explaining things to me :)

Thanks!

tiagao_extremo

Re: Help with emulating PC games
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 11:48:06 pm »
Never heard about this app called exagear. From what i've seen is it some kind of x86 emulator for arm, right? Would be great playing streets of rage remake using this app, considering that the XD can handle it. If anyone can share some information about this.

miguel.tenshi (OP)

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 12:09:50 am »
Here are some videos of it running,

https://youtu.be/G8cF5WEcbs8

https://youtu.be/m5bALPrXWIQ

I messaged these two users, to ask how they did it, but they didn't reply...

ufo.mesh

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 07:17:37 am »
Speaking of DosBox turbo there was a frontend for it called DosBox manager. It's easy and handy to use.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

miguel.tenshi (OP)

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 09:00:01 pm »
Speaking of DosBox turbo there was a frontend for it called DosBox manager. It's easy and handy to use.

I tried it.

Followed these instructions to the letter and it never loads any game I try. It always goes to the DOS command line...

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/play-retro-pc-games-android-with-dosbox-turbo-0155457/

ufo.mesh

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 09:09:03 pm »

I tried it.

Followed these instructions to the letter and it never loads any game I try. It always goes to the DOS command line...

That's very strange because for me it worked perfectly. I'll check my setup a little bit later and compare it with your article.

ufo.mesh

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 09:46:10 am »
So, I've checked my DosBox Turbo setup on my Nexus 7 and tried to repeat it on my GPD XD. I chose a Dave Dangerous 2 game as a test so I will describe the process on it.
The main thing you must pay attention is paths. So be very attentive writing paths. By default DosBox Turbo setup has slightly different main path so you have to fix it.
Speaking of paths you can use Total Commander, it shows paths correctly (Default GPD XD explorer won't show you correct path)
So, I downloaded and unzipped the game to /storage/sdcard0/Download/DAV2 and .exe file that starts the game was right in this folder.
Then I started DosBox Manager and created a new profile, gave it a name and profile settings appeared. Firstly, lets setup paths. Go to the first menu item DosBox Settings. Near at the bottom of this list find Autoexec item. Tap it and fix mount path to correct one.
By default there will be the following:
Code: [Select]
mount c:/storage/emulated/0/Download/
c:

GPD XD path to inner memory is slightly different, so change it to this:

mount c:/storage/sdcard0/Download/
c:

and add this:

cd dav2
1.exe

first line changes folder to game's folder (because we unzipped it to this one) and second line starts the game.

full text of autoexec:

mount c:/storage/sdcard0/Download/
c:
cd dav2
1.exe

Notice that Android uses slashes, not backslashes for paths.

After this the game will start but we have to tweak some other settings to be able to play the game with controls and sounds.
So long-tap on game's profile, select Edit Config. Because this game uses old PC Speaker we need to enable it. Do this under DosBox Settings, there'll be a checkbox to enable PC Speaker support.

Now let's setup controls. Go to Button/Controller Maps (it's back from DosBox Settings). There you'll see some mappings added already, they're OK and bound to GPDs cross. Here you have to bind GPDs buttons to keys like Space, Control, Alt and others often used in old games to jump, shoot and so on. So, tap on Add Button Mapping, tap on new menu item called something like Map Custom Button #, then in Select DOS Key Mapping select a key (i.e. Space) and press button on GPD XD that will be bound to this key. Press OK. Setup other buttons as you wish.
Also, here you can setup four virtual on-screen buttons if you need. They can be displayed in main profile setting by ticking Overlay Buttons checkbox.

There're some other options that you would like to tweak:
Frameskip (default 2) will drop frames to speed up a game but it will not be running smoothly. So, for smoothness change to 0.
Cycles are set to auto by default, you can try to change this. Higher values can make a game to run smoother.

BTW, if you turn console in "portrait mode" you'll see some additional buttons for keyboard.
I.e. if you're in DosBox console you can write exit (enter) to quit DosBox.

And another thing: DosBox is used to run old DOS games. So, if a game needs only Windows to run, it won't work. Also, I'm not sure that SVGA and 3D games (i.e. Carmageddon or Fallout I) will work fine because they "use more CPU" to run and GPD may not handle this. But you can try and share your experience with us of course. :)

Feel free to ask anything if you have questions.
Good Luck!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 09:57:12 am by ufo.mesh »

miguel.tenshi (OP)

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 07:28:46 pm »
Hi, I did everything exactly as you wrote.

Still doesn't work... Same thing, it goes to the DOS command line, where it says the path is storage/emulated/0/download.

Thanks anyway.

ufo.mesh

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 08:33:22 am »
But gpd xd storage is under /storage/sdcard0/Download/ (of course if you downloaded your game in this folder). I think that is the case of your problem - wrong path names. Even a symbol matters. You can miss a slash in the end of the line and it won't work.

Also, you can try to enter some commands in the command line. Just to check if it works in "manual" mode.
Try to write:  dir(enter).
This command lists folders and files of a current location. So, if you mounted your android downloads folder as a disk C correctly you must see all folders and files in it. If you see something different, than this means that you didn't mount it right and must check paths.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:42:59 am by ufo.mesh »

miguel.tenshi (OP)

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 12:45:59 am »
Hi again!

Solved it another way. Installed Magic Dosbox and with a little tweaking, it all works fine.

Thanks a lot for trying to help me!

Still can't figure out what went wrong with the frontend. :)

Now I'm off to figure out ZX Spectrum emus. hehe.

Thanks again!

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 12:59:27 am »
Hi again!

Solved it another way. Installed Magic Dosbox and with a little tweaking, it all works fine.

Thanks again!

Hi, Miguel. Let me ask you, Magic Dosbox is only for old dos games or can it be used to play some games like streets of rage remake? I tried playing this game using exagear strategies, but the app wouldn't allow some simple stuff like mapping keys. Also it was way too expensive and wouldn't allow not much to do for the 3-days trial.

miguel.tenshi (OP)

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 07:49:44 pm »
Hi again!

Thanks again!

Hi, Miguel. Let me ask you, Magic Dosbox is only for old dos games or can it be used to play some games like streets of rage remake? I tried playing this game using exagear strategies, but the app wouldn't allow some simple stuff like mapping keys. Also it was way too expensive and wouldn't allow not much to do for the 3-days trial.

No, unfortunately, Streets of Rage Remake doesn't work with this...

I also tried with ExaGear Strategies, but for some reason, the colours are all wrong.

I have the control/Key mapping problem, too.

I wish I could play that game on my GPD XD...

Post a new topic