Author Topic: GPD XD wifi antenna hack?  (Read 493 times)

CRaul87 (OP)

GPD XD wifi antenna hack?
« on: April 18, 2017, 03:49:37 pm »
I've seen some people fix the Nintendo switch connection issues of the right or left joystick by opening the thing and basically adding an internal wire as an extended antenna.

Any chance the same thing could be done for our beloved XD?

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

ruffnutts

Re: GPD XD wifi antenna hack?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 03:52:21 pm »
Yeah the wifi is not that great have to admit....

supersonic

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 04:44:00 pm »
Yeah, the wifi connectivity is not that great, comparing to an iPad 2 in the same spot in my house, the iPad is solid most of the time, but the XD constantly drops out or stalls.

I assume that's just because an iPad has room for a bigger internal antenna.
GPD XD 32GB Blue - LegacyROM Null 1.8 | iPhone 4S/iPad 2 32GB - iOS 7 Jailbroken | Raspberry Pi 3 - RetroPie 4.1 | Nintendo 3DS XL Black

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 07:27:05 am »
It should be possible but You'd need some knowledge about circuitry, experience with soldering and some calm hands.

Here's a link to a thread where beldandy561 did a teardown of the GPD XD:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-android-devices/teardown-of-gpd-xd-system-(blue-32gb)-and-my-thoughts/

And a photo he made of the wifi chip and antenna:
http://imgur.com/qQeH8zq

The one big problem you might encounter is the build quality with especially the ribbon cables being extremely fragile. Opening the device up can ruin it completely if you are not careful. Also you'd have to try around a bit to find the right lenght and the right place for your "extended antenna". The big problem with the short antenna  is that it is right next to the right analog stick which is mostly cowered by your right hand.

I suggest not to tear down the GPD XD  when it's not absolutely necessary.

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 09:35:29 am »
OMG CommanderKitler! You totally popped my bubble. I knew there were some fragility issues inside due to poor assembly, but overall I thought it was a solid build. I am now scared to even speak loudly near my GPD now buah!  :)

sirp0p0

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 03:14:44 am »
OMG CommanderKitler! You totally popped my bubble. I knew there were some fragility issues inside due to poor assembly, but overall I thought it was a solid build. I am now scared to even speak loudly near my GPD now buah!  :)

The XD is actually pretty solid it's just that the guts have lots of ribbon cables running through it so it has to be taken apart carefully.

I had mine apart just for shits and giggles and what the guy broke saying it was a "battery" was actually the microphone. It's in an awkward place and soldered on oddly so that just needs to be kept in mind. It's really not as bad as it seems.

It should be possible but You'd need some knowledge about circuitry, experience with soldering and some calm hands.

You actually don't need much experience to "hack" the antenna. There is a standard uFL connector on the WiFi chip so you could go on Aliexpress or eBay and look for "uFL antenna" and get tons of different antennas that you could just swap out without much difficulty.

You can even go as far as getting an uFL to RP.SMA Connector / 5dBi Antenna. You could drill a hole in the back somewhere around one of the ports and have a massive external antenna.

I think the XD generally has a bad WiFi problem because of the bad soldering on the antenna itself. One contact should be soldered to the shield of the cable, while the other contact should be soldered to the internal wire.

I had a problem on my Q9 where they had used way to much solder so the connections had bridged and the reception was abysmal. It was an easy enough fix and I went back and fixed a couple old tablets I had with the same antenna and the same problem.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 09:00:16 am »

The GPD XD is solid enough for everyday use. The general assembly is fine too.The problem is mostly the placing and the quality of the ribbon cables. They break easily when you put too much stress on them. I've heard that some people had their display ribbon cable break just through normal use (opening and closing the hinge) but I doubt that that would happen easily as I have been pretty rough with mine and I haven't encountered any problems yet.

The XD is actually pretty solid it's just that the guts have lots of ribbon cables running through it so it has to be taken apart carefully.

I had mine apart just for shits and giggles and what the guy broke saying it was a "battery" was actually the microphone. It's in an awkward place and soldered on oddly so that just needs to be kept in mind. It's really not as bad as it seems.

You actually don't need much experience to "hack" the antenna. There is a standard uFL connector on the WiFi chip so you could go on Aliexpress or eBay and look for "uFL antenna" and get tons of different antennas that you could just swap out without much difficulty.

You can even go as far as getting an uFL to RP.SMA Connector / 5dBi Antenna. You could drill a hole in the back somewhere around one of the ports and have a massive external antenna.

I think the XD generally has a bad WiFi problem because of the bad soldering on the antenna itself. One contact should be soldered to the shield of the cable, while the other contact should be soldered to the internal wire.

I had a problem on my Q9 where they had used way to much solder so the connections had bridged and the reception was abysmal. It was an easy enough fix and I went back and fixed a couple old tablets I had with the same antenna and the same problem.

I was thinking of the Joycon hack (basically soldering a copper wire to the end of the antenna and putting that somesplace where there's less interference) but You're right the XD has a standard uFL antenna while the joycon has it's hardwired to the circuitboard. Still would take some calm hands, the right parts and some tinkering with the case to add an external antenna. That would probably be the best thing you could do though. Having a External omnidirectional antenna would greatly extend the range of the WiFi and you would have less stuff around it causing interference.

CRaul87 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 01:28:43 pm »
Hey guys check this YouTube link out and vote with you comments and we might see a tutorial or something from this site that has a history of tinkering around with hardware.
https://youtu.be/nz4Ve_ndq7o

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Post a new topic