Author Topic: GPD XD - The search for D-Pad Perfection (tm)  (Read 7131 times)

superfenix2020

Re: GPD XD - The search for D-Pad Perfection (tm)
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 01:02:17 am »
perfect d-pad  ;D

Mountainmohawk

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 04:17:29 pm »
What is that dpad Fenix? How does it feel?

Also, is there anyone in this thread who would be willing to mod my dpad for me?

Faust

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 07:55:16 pm »
Great work ! At least we will have some clue how to change the  GPD Win mushy D-pad.

XC-3730C

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 09:58:40 pm »
Can a SNES D-pad be used? Those D-pads in my opinion are the all time best. I like how it has smooth corners, rather than the sharp ones on a typical D-pad nowadays.

Psxed

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 01:01:30 pm »
Thanks for your guide mate. I replaced the d-pad on mine with a ds-lite replacement pad i got from ebay. Not totally satisfied with it but it's an upgrade over the stock one. Less mushy and more "feedback". Took me around 15mins thanks to your guide. :)

sirp0p0

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 01:32:16 pm »
I'm kind of peeved. I got some DS Lite pads from eBay and they don't have the black conductive pads on them. They're flat on one side with nubs on the contact side. I threw them in my XD just to try and it was even more mushy than the stock pads. It's really weird, maybe they're for a different model DS Lite?

I screwed up my DS Lite recently anyway so I'm going to take the pads from it and try again. Does the DS Lite DPAD fit too, or does it needs mods as well?

Psxed

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 04:30:01 pm »
I got them from a seller named zedlabz and they did have the black pads on them. It's almost an exact fit a tad bit too small but it's not giving me any problems. I just ordered a wii u gamepad one to see if it's any better.

XC-3730C

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 05:17:14 pm »
Has anyone tried the D-pad from a wii classic controller?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

superfenix2020

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 10:20:47 pm »
Has anyone tried the D-pad from a wii classic controller?
yes, it is too large.

midknight

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2016, 03:54:54 am »
Swapped out the dpad on my xd a few days ago with one out of the ds lite i tried to use the membrane from the ds but it did not fit right so i reused the on that came with the xd and it works great. I compared the 2 dpads and the 1 for the ds lite looks shorter i think that may have been enough to not make it feel so mushy.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

sirp0p0

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2016, 12:24:07 pm »
Swapped out the dpad on my xd a few days ago with one out of the ds lite i tried to use the membrane from the ds but it did not fit right so i reused the on that came with the xd and it works great. I compared the 2 dpads and the 1 for the ds lite looks shorter i think that may have been enough to not make it feel so mushy.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I just stuck a DS Lite pad in there yesterday as well and it did not work. It did feel slightly better but diagonals did not work. You're right it does seem shorter than the stock pad.

It's not a big loss since I don't really have a problem with the dpad. I'd much rather have a sturdier pad for the buttons instead but the DS Lite one really didn't work for that.

philexile

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2016, 10:52:48 pm »
Hello,

I ended up trying this mod: using the Rockchip Wii controller "contact" pad and a DS Lite directional pad. The DS Lite directional pad is much better, but the Rockchip's contact pad doesn't fit very well. I have a newer GPD XD and its contact pad seemed very fitted to the space moreso than the older models I think.

In the end, I didn't end up using it, but I kept the DS Lite's directional pad, but ditched the Rockchip's contact pad. It just didn't fit or work well.

If someone from GPD is reading this: check out a DSi XL or 3DS XL. Both of those handhelds have similar, smaller d-pads, but the contact pad is much "clickier" and just feels better. The pad included with the GPD works and you sorta get used to it, but Nintendo's handhelds are MUCH better the same goes for the buttons on the right.

It would be great if GPD could improve this for future models and maybe sell the replacement membranes (and directional pad!) so that people who already own an XD could upgrade their unit properly.

Best Regards

qordaz

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 05:53:07 pm »
Bought a rock candy wii controller at Amazon just to follow this guide, and sooo glad I did. I am pulling Guile's super combo easily off now in SSF2XJ. Thank you so much for this guide, you are a very good man sir :)

XC-3730C

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 05:15:58 am »
Bought a rock candy wii controller at Amazon just to follow this guide, and sooo glad I did. I am pulling Guile's super combo easily off now in SSF2XJ. Thank you so much for this guide, you are a very good man sir :)
Would you happen to have a link to the rock candy Wii controller?

Post a new topic