Author Topic: GPD XD overheating  (Read 980 times)

retroster (OP)

GPD XD overheating
« on: May 07, 2017, 06:14:58 am »
Hi all, I literally just experienced this:

Connected the XD to the mains for charging via the original cable and power unit that came with the device. At that point the battery charge was at 50%.

Left it unattended for 3 hours... then when I checked up on it, the device was very, very hot. I opened the screen and the control panel is now warped into an upward arc. I don't know if the heat warped it or the battery has expanded inside of the unit. Now when I close the lid, the round power button actually presses against the screen.

I live in Japan and the voltage here is 100V.

Has anyone else experienced this?
I'm actually very concerned about the safety of the battery...

PsyOps

• Section Eight
Re: GPD XD overheating
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 12:25:23 pm »
I'm guessing it is possible you got a bad battery or charger.
what were you doing before you charged the battery?
did you leave the GPD XD on while you were charging it?
did the warping go down?
How did you leave your processor governor?

skelton

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 12:55:07 pm »
Default charger is very bad, or perhaps a deffective battery. I used my phone charger and never got any problem.
Retired

retroster (OP)

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 02:58:05 pm »
I woke up in the morning, saw the charge at 50%, connected to charge.
The GPD was on, lid closed, when I was charging it.
Warping went down but is not flat like before.
The processor was left at 1.8GHz.

So... if the original charger is bad... what should i be using to charge it?

skelton

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 03:15:40 pm »
Any phone charger that doesn't goes higher than 2.0A should be fine.
Retired

retroster (OP)

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 03:35:20 pm »
Thanks.

In addition: do I need to set the CPU back to 1.4GHz everytime I finish playing with Reicast? Or can I leave it permanently on 1.8GHz?

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 04:07:44 pm »
Hey retro. It has been suggested that you read a guide a few times. The reason I put all the time and effort into making these guides and tutorials is to:
1.) Help new users out
2.) Let new users take advantage of pro features as long they read and follow guidelines

Now if you can please read this: http://sectioneight.net/gpd-xd/tutorials/gpd-xd-novice-guide-legacy-rom-18ghz

You will see that it is very easy. I even add a button for you to use.
You play a game on PPSSPP or on a Dreamcast emulator and You turn on button.
You finish playing and you turn it off.
In my guide it even Turns it off for you if you forget once the GPD XD turns off - it gets reset.

Bottom line is if you run high demand games, on highest CPU settings, for long periods of time, You COULD possibly do damage to your GPD XD.

So why don't you do me a favor and read the guide. if there is anything I can do to make it easier to understand or maybe not so intimidating let me know. i will update these guides as best as I can. but I can only do that if people read them.

I hope that helps.

** try watching the video first - once you do you will realize that the tutorial is just the video turned into words
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:13:32 pm by PsyOps »

retroster (OP)

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 05:28:09 pm »
Hey,
So youre section eight! I actually used your guide and files to legacy my device  ;).
However, my explorer app had a different interface to yours so i struggled a bit considering I'm not an android user.

But yeah, its my bad that I didnt read your posts through. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:29:45 pm by retroster »

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 06:58:11 pm »
No worries. If there is anything I can do to make it easier let me know. I'm trying to make as easy as possible for the new user. The only problem I see is that they might seem like TOO much when you first see them.

But yeh feel free to tell me things I can simplify or change. I will see if I can maybe add notes for the interface differences.

retroster (OP)

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 11:45:36 pm »
Cool, thanks for all your efforts.
I decided to send my device back and get a replace. Not gonna risk any further complications.

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 12:08:03 am »
Probably best. Sounds like it was a bad battery.

hindusound

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 05:08:32 am »
Also I like to share my experience by charging the device, so it could be taken as an advice.

Never left the GPD XD charging more than the necesary, until it reaches the 100%. If you leave the device connected for a long period of time after it gets full battery, it will still warming up. Usually with the phones, the system automatically cut off the energy when the charge is complete, and that's for avoid overcharging, hence overheating too. When I forget to disconnect my phone after few hours it gets full, when I disconnect it, it's cold, no trace of heat.

But it seems that that feature isn't that good on the GPD, so if you leave the gpd connected 3 hours after the battery gets full, those are 3 hours that the battery will be getting warm, not as hot when its charging, but the enough to note that it's not normal.

retroster (OP)

GPD XD overheating
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 07:19:49 am »
Also I like to share my experience by charging the device, so it could be taken as an advice.

Never left the GPD XD charging more than the necesary, until it reaches the 100%. If you leave the device connected for a long period of time after it gets full battery, it will still warming up. Usually with the phones, the system automatically cut off the energy when the charge is complete, and that's for avoid overcharging, hence overheating too. When I forget to disconnect my phone after few hours it gets full, when I disconnect it, it's cold, no trace of heat.

But it seems that that feature isn't that good on the GPD, so if you leave the gpd connected 3 hours after the battery gets full, those are 3 hours that the battery will be getting warm, not as hot when its charging, but the enough to note that it's not normal.

Yeah, I guess the XD is a bit crappy on that part (but not surprising). However, I do take issues with that because, in a lot of cases, people leave them to charge overnight and what-have-you.

Thanks for adding to the topic. It's always good to let fellow XD'ers know about this.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:24:43 am by retroster »

retroster (OP)

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 02:47:30 pm »
No worries. If there is anything I can do to make it easier let me know. I'm trying to make as easy as possible for the new user. The only problem I see is that they might seem like TOO much when you first see them.

But yeh feel free to tell me things I can simplify or change. I will see if I can maybe add notes for the interface differences.

Hi PsyOps
I finally got a replacement XD and watched your video to set up the Kernal Audiutor. However, I have 2 questions for you:

1. Is there a place in the Kernal Audiutor app where I can check/confirm that I got the settings correct?

2. From the home screen widget, the buttons aren't highlighted to say if the Turbo is ON or OFF, correct? I see this as an issue - without some sort of indicator to say which mode it is currently on, some people like myself are likely to forget.

Anyway, thanks a million for the video. Easily to understand. Just brilliant!

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 03:41:46 pm »
I think you are talking about the profiles? If you are unsure I would say just delete it and create a new one and make sure settings are right. I believe I tried looking at the profile settings and I saw a string of code or something weird like that. I just redid the profile.

As far as the toggle, yeh I actually sent the Developer of the app an email with a suggestion to highlight or display the current loaded profile. I havent received an response yet so i dunno. I have an app called cool tool installed that shows me the gpd status. You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwlOkK82G0k
I only have 2 profiles myself. Turbo On : 1.8Ghz on Performance and then the Turno Off : 1.4Ghz Interactive.
So if on cool tool you see it at 1800 for cpu freq, you know its set on Turbo On.

Aside from that I'll try and look over the app see what i can figure out. Hope i helped =).

ps: Cool Tool is a nice app but on the screens it is not supposed to be on you can still see it a tiny bit. so something to consider if you want it. Also I whitelisted my launcher so that cool tool will only show up in your Home and nowhere else. If you need help with it let me know. I added some info on this tut here: http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-android-devices/(-psp-theme-)-squarehome-launcher-tutorial/msg162631/#msg162631