Author Topic: Firmware 3.4.2  (Read 1169 times)

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
Firmware 3.4.2
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:40:19 am »
I downloaded the upgrade from the gpd main site and can't update using it.

I downloaded it twice and tried installing using RkBatchTool v.17 and 1.8
For both i get the error on the screeny i posted.
The 2 Batch tools I used were tested and they aren't the problem.
XD is on 3.3.6 stock firmware.
I renamed "xd 3.4.2.img" to update.img and put it inside /sdcard and inside /external_sd and it doesnt pick it up.
I have also found this thread: http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-android-devices/lets-talk-xd-issues/
But the files aren't hosted anymore.

Needless to say nothing is working. I am still troubleshooting it, maybe try to upgrade from another fw. If anyone has any explanations or help it would be much appreciated. Only reason I am even trying it is because I am hosting instructions on how to upgrade and want to make sure every file I point to is in working order. So if i can't get this working I am not going to advise upgrading to this FW version at all.

-thnx in advance.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:47:45 am by PsyOps »

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
Re: Firmware 3.4.2
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 02:31:09 am »
Using RKBatch tool I upgraded to 3.3.7.
The upgrade to 3.4.2 wasn't picked up automatically but I was able to offline upgrade it.
Resulted in BRICK.

Trying 3.3.9

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:52:38 am »
3.3.9 flashed OK
Auto Update didnt pick up for 3.4.2
Used Offline Update: Brick

Trying 3.4.0

Ill be hosting these files myself later at sectioneight.net once im done here. Just making sure they all work.

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 03:25:22 am »
3.4.0 flashed OK
Auto Update didnt pick up for 3.4.2
Used Offline Update: Brick

I'll test the rest of the firmwares for the sake of hosting tested files. But 3.4.2 seems to be a fail upgrade from site.
I would like to get the version listed on that post or if anyone happens to have a confirmed good 3.4.2.  please send to me.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 03:32:56 am »
I haven't got much experience with the RKBatchTool so I don't quite know what the error message means seems like some kind of check failed (duuh).

It shouldn't be a hardware problem as other FWs seem to flash just fine so whats left is the 3.4.2 firmware package itself;

- If you haven't yet tried to re-download the image, the file you are trying to flash might have been corrupted while downloading.
  (you might be able to check the file's integrity by checking against a MD5 or SHA checksum but i don't know if GPD has supplied any)

- If you do have tried to download the file multiple times and none of the downloaded versions flash without errors, The firmware file itself
  might be broken. This just happened to me with a Nexus 7 this week where google supplied a broken bootloader with a certain firmware
  image.

also after a short google search i found this thread about someone with similar problems:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-android-devices/gpd-xd-update-3-3-7-to-4-4-2-bricked/

He seemed to have downloaded the FW image from this thread:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-android-devices/the-latest-firmware-of-gpd-game-console/

If you are going to Mirror them on your site I suggest to zip or rar or tar.gz the images before uploading them.
This way you can ensure that people won't brick their system if the try to flash an Image that was corrupted while being downloaded.
(they wont be able to extract a corrupted compressed file)

I flashed 3.4.2 successfully a year ago or so I gonna search my PC later, maybe I still have the image.

UPDATE: haven't found it sorry. :(  It was probably on my Windows partition which I got rid of since I completely switched to Linux.
I probably got it from the thread with the ( now ) dead links.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 03:43:51 am by CommanderKitler »

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 03:47:20 am »
I haven't got much experience with the RKBatchTool so I don't quite know what the error message means seems like some kind of check failed (duuh).

It shouldn't be a hardware problem as other FWs seem to flash just fine so whats left is the 3.4.2 firmware package itself;

- If you haven't yet tried to re-download the image, the file you are trying to flash might have been corrupted while downloading.
  (you might be able to check the file's integrity by checking against a MD5 or SHA checksum but i don't know if GPD has supplied any)

- If you do have tried to download the file multiple times and none of the downloaded versions flash without errors, The firmware file itself
  might be broken. This just happened to me with a Nexus 7 this week where google supplied a broken bootloader with a certain firmware
  image.

also after a short google search i found this thread about someone with similar problems:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-android-devices/gpd-xd-update-3-3-7-to-4-4-2-bricked/

He seemed to have downloaded the FW image from this thread:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-android-devices/the-latest-firmware-of-gpd-game-console/

If you are going to Mirror them on your site I suggest to zip or rar or tar.gz the images before uploading them.
This way you can insure that people won't brick their system if the try to flash an Image that was corrupted while being downloaded.
(they wont be able to extract a corrupted compressed file)

I flashed 3.4.2 successfully a year ago or so I gonna search my PC later, maybe I still have the image.

Yeh I will look up how to check MD5 or whatever as I have yet to do that with any file, probably god practice to do anyway hehe.
And yes those threads are where I originally got info for it. I linked up at top to it =P.
"(they wont be able to extract a corrupted compressed file)" (facepalm)
I have to say it has been years that I have downloaded zip files and wondered why everyone always zips. I mean I know it compresses but never came up with that simple logic. You can easily DL a corrupted file and not know it, but you can't uncompress a bad zip.
Ok so yeh I'll start zipping them, THNX  ;D
If you could find that file that would be great $$ but if not I'll keep looking.

Oh and, just flashed the file labeled 3.4.8 : it is either mislabeled on the site or on the GPD Firmware, because it comes up as 3.4.7.
Flashed just fine.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 04:06:49 am »
UPDATE: haven't found it sorry. :(  It was probably on my Windows partition which I got rid of since I completely switched to Linux.
I probably got it from the thread with the ( now ) dead links.

Ok my windows partition might be gone but It seems i have found the 3.4.2 firmware on a External drive I saved my User folder to. ;D
 in RKbatchtool it says FW version 4.4.02 and boot version 2.25 just as yours but the build times are different. just gotta find a quick way to upload it somewhere. maybe I can upload it to a server at my university or to some filehoster.

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 04:43:31 am »
sent you a PM

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 08:33:05 pm »
Update- Commander found a working copy and sent to me. I am now hosting all firmwares on my site if anyone needs it.
http://sectioneight.net/tutorials/gpd-xd-how-install-roms-unbrick-method

vsilvalopes

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 11:01:28 pm »
PsyOps,

In your site, I've saw that you listed the Skelton Legacy ROM.
Is this one, the version that have the optimal Mali Drivers for Sega Saturn emulation? Plus the Null Joystick driver?

Thanks in advance!
The hardware must go to the limit !

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 11:10:10 pm »
Yes the firmwares posted are his latest, the NuLL. You think i should list that?
I just barely got on the scene and never had any exposure to his earlier release. I just kept it out since the older versions are pretty much obsolete. or maybe I should clarify somewhere on a note or something?

What i did plan on having but havent done yet, is write an article on : What firmware to choose and why.
maybe put it in that.

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 11:13:11 pm »
AH Yes! Just saw your other thread hehe! Yes those are the ones. Install away bud!

vsilvalopes

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 01:16:25 am »
Hi PsyOps!

Thanks for the heads up ! :D
The hardware must go to the limit !

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 01:38:48 am »
Yes the firmwares posted are his latest, the NuLL. You think i should list that?
I just barely got on the scene and never had any exposure to his earlier release. I just kept it out since the older versions are pretty much obsolete. or maybe I should clarify somewhere on a note or something?

What i did plan on having but havent done yet, is write an article on : What firmware to choose and why.
maybe put it in that.

I don't think there's any advantage in flashing the older legacy rom versions as the NULL version doesn't change that much aside from adding the NULL-joystick driver so there's not much sense in uploading those . You could mirror the version with the new mali graphics-driver for people that really want it but AFAIK the version doesn't give a noticable performance boost and actually has a noticable detrimental impact on Yabause's( SEGA Saturn Emu) performance.

AlucardX

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 02:22:47 am »
Thanks for sharing this PsyOps. I went through similar experience when I tried to upgrade to 3.4.2 firmware I downloaded from GPD website - it bricked my device. In a way it was a good thing, because that led me to flashing my GPD with 1.8 legacy rom, and I never looked back after that- performance is awesome with psp and uoyabause.
Hopefully somebody from GPD team will read this and post proper 3.4.2 on their website for those who want stock 3.4.2 firmware. At least with links on your website there is a way now to get "brick free" version:)

Post a new topic
Post a new topic