Author Topic: [ROM] LegacyROM Kitkat for GPD XD  (Read 90271 times)

moff

Re: [ROM] LegacyROM Kitkat for GPD XD
« Reply #750 on: March 04, 2017, 10:26:04 am »
Skelton, can you please tell me how can i set cpu frequency (what app can do this)?
Kernel adiutor or setcpu for example.
In Kernel Auditor i go here: Kernel -> CPU -> CPU Maximum frequency
And there is no way to change frequency more than 1.6 (i'm using Legacy ROM 1.6 version with ROOT)

What i'm doing wrong?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:27:39 am by moff »

skelton (OP)

« Reply #751 on: March 04, 2017, 10:53:05 am »
Skelton, can you please tell me how can i set cpu frequency (what app can do this)?
And there is no way to change frequency more than 1.6 (i'm using Legacy ROM 1.6 version with ROOT)

What i'm doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong. If you are using 1,6 version of the rom you are limited to 1,6 ghz by kernel. You need the 1,8 ghz version for that. You won't notice a great difference from 1,6 to 1,8 though. I always used the 1,8 ghz version, because you can always clock down CPU when you don't need 1,8 ghz max.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:58:04 am by skelton »
Retired

moff

« Reply #752 on: March 04, 2017, 12:59:50 pm »

What i'm doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong. If you are using 1,6 version of the rom you are limited to 1,6 ghz by kernel. You need the 1,8 ghz version for that. You won't notice a great difference from 1,6 to 1,8 though. I always used the 1,8 ghz version, because you can always clock down CPU when you don't need 1,8 ghz max.
Ooops, I had not thought about it :))
If i just use method with update.img with 1.8 version to sd,  did i loose any data?

skelton (OP)

« Reply #753 on: March 04, 2017, 01:13:19 pm »
No, by sd you shouldn't lose data. Use the update tablet app , select offline upgrade and you can update vía SD. Maybe you will need to reupdate supersu binaries though. Or downgrade supersu app if yours is newer than the one from the rom.
But to be honest, device performs very similar at 1,6 or 1,8, so not sure if it's worth to update. If you need more performance with your 1,6 GHz versión select perfomance CPU governor for the app you need.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 01:20:15 pm by skelton »
Retired

moff

« Reply #754 on: March 04, 2017, 01:21:56 pm »
No, by sd you shouldn't lose data. Use the update tablet app , select offline upgrade and you can update vía SD. Maybe you will need to reupdate supersu binaries though.
But to be honest, device performs very similar at 1,6 or 1,8, so not sure if it's worth to update. If you need more performance with your 1,6 GHz versión select perfomance CPU governor for the app you need.
And there is no need to do factory reset or anything like that after update?
I'm asking this, cause on my android phone when i was updating it from android 5 to android 6, it start laging without factory reset and full wipe, and on xd i've just installed a huge pack of apps, and if wipe is needed, it'll be a pain to install this all over again.

skelton (OP)

« Reply #755 on: March 04, 2017, 01:33:14 pm »
Well, I always suggest a fresh install via PC, or a factory rest as you mention. Sd card upgrade method works and keep your apps but it's a bit dirty method of upgrading, so some strange behaviour can happen, so it's up to you. I personally woulnd't flash again just to go from 1,6 to 1,8, because you won't notice it too much (a different story is from 1,4 stock rom to 1,8 ghz)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 01:35:14 pm by skelton »
Retired

moff

« Reply #756 on: March 04, 2017, 02:08:31 pm »
[
Well, I always suggest a fresh install via PC, or a factory rest as you mention. Sd card upgrade method works and keep your apps but it's a bit dirty method of upgrading, so some strange behaviour can happen, so it's up to you. I personally woulnd't flash again just to go from 1,6 to 1,8, because you won't notice it too much (a different story is from 1,4 stock rom to 1,8 ghz)
I forgot about great backup app - titanium backup.
It can backup apps and it's data and settings, and so if firmware is the same, it shouldn't be a problem.
Will try it any way.

AlucardX

« Reply #757 on: March 08, 2017, 07:56:33 am »
This is my first post here, I registered to say thanks to skelton for making this custom rom for GPD! I just recently got my GPD device and been on stock firmware for about a week, until I learned about old vs new mali drivers and performance issues with some emulators like uoYabause because of it. So I took a plunge and installed legacy rom, the 1.8Ghz version, and its been almost two weeks and I love it! I think stock rom is fine for someone new to portable gaming on android os, since it comes with somewhat friendly metro style interface and preinstalled emulators and games, but if you want a clean device with own options to customize and install apps, legacy rom is the way to go, and 1.8 overclock on cpu is a nice bonus) Although running 1.8 on performance setting does warmup the gpd device, but its a small price to pay for so much needed performance boost in PSP, Dreamcast and Saturn emulators.

One of my goals in getting GPD was to play sega saturn games with uoYabause and stock rom's new mali drivers were affecting performance, but legacy rom solves that issue. One minor issue I noticed with uoYabause, after installing legacy rom, is filter option for FXAA does not work anymore (just black screen with sound), it worked on stock rom, and it was great because it made 2d games look great. Not sure if its due to mali drivers, or some other factor in legacy rom but I'm curious if someone else experienced this as well?

skelton (OP)

« Reply #758 on: March 08, 2017, 09:31:34 am »
The New Mali drivers in uoyabause allow fxaa but performance is terrible. So basically we need old mali drivers although we cannot use fxaa. Fxaa would be Too much for this device anyway. In my shield tablet uoyabause is slow with fxaa, and I have to remove It to get decent speeds Too. Certainly uoyabause is very demanding, only shield TV manages all games fullspeed
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 09:38:02 am by skelton »
Retired

AlucardX

« Reply #759 on: March 08, 2017, 05:08:51 pm »
The New Mali drivers in uoyabause allow fxaa but performance is terrible. So basically we need old mali drivers although we cannot use fxaa. Fxaa would be Too much for this device anyway. In my shield tablet uoyabause is slow with fxaa, and I have to remove It to get decent speeds Too. Certainly uoyabause is very demanding, only shield TV manages all games fullspeed

Thanks, that makes sense. Hopefully whenever GPD 2 comes out, performance and driver issue will be solved.

supersonic

« Reply #760 on: March 16, 2017, 12:41:07 am »
I need some advice/guidance - I got my XD at few days ago and I have yet to get any method to install LegacyROM to work for me. First I tried the RKBatchTool method, connected to my Windows 7 x64 SP1 PC via USB 2.0 port, but the XD has never shown up in the batchtool. I installed the RKDriver first as admin, it claimed it installed correctly. I pressed power+volume up and connected it, but it has never been recognized by the batchtool. Windows pops up a little "Android ADB connected" notification, and I can browse it with file explorer, however.

I tried to replace the usbport.sys and usbhub.sys files in that link, but all that did was disable my USB 3 ports, and make no difference in batchtool.

Then I tried the update via SD card, and it sees it and prompts me to update, but once it reboots into recovery mode, all the available options fail.

The recovery mode I always end up in when I hit a brick wall with batchtool and the SD card both is called "Android system recovery <3e>" "XD-EN-V3.4.7-KTU84Q-20160708.145341" - it has a little background picture of the green android on his back with his hatch open and it gives me a vertical menu to navigate with the volume up.down and power button. But batchtool never sees it, and the SD card with the update.img is never recognized, I always have to just power down from there.

This is a Blue 32GB unit I got from geekbuying, it that makes any difference at all. I've tried to follow the steps for both methods, and I've tried slight variations on each just in case, but nothing works.

I have an OS X computer available to me to try and do this, but I've only tried with Windows so far because I assumed that would be the easiest/best supported way. If there is a way to try for the complete wipe/install via Mac or Linux, I'll be glad to give that a shot.

Any one have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:01:27 am by supersonic »
GPD XD 32GB Blue - LegacyROM Null 1.8 | iPhone 4S/iPad 2 32GB - iOS 7 Jailbroken | Raspberry Pi 3 - RetroPie 4.1 | Nintendo 3DS XL Black

particleman

« Reply #761 on: March 16, 2017, 01:33:25 am »
With rkbatch tool don't hit power plus volume up.  Just volume up while the xd is off
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:36:18 am by particleman »

supersonic

« Reply #762 on: March 16, 2017, 01:44:47 am »
With rkbatch tool don't hit power plus volume up.  Just volume up while the xd is off

You're a life safer - that worked. I think my problem was I started this process following a youtube tutorial that wasn't entirely clear. Thank you for the magic bullet though!  :)
GPD XD 32GB Blue - LegacyROM Null 1.8 | iPhone 4S/iPad 2 32GB - iOS 7 Jailbroken | Raspberry Pi 3 - RetroPie 4.1 | Nintendo 3DS XL Black

Post a new topic