• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Black Screen of death?  (Read 11408 times)

BokkenRyanZX

Black Screen of death?
« on: October 11, 2011, 06:51:16 am »
I have a Dingo A330 which from what I understand and is said on the system files is a repackaged Gemei A330 Fashion or the wireless version. While flashing some firmware the green bar was soon as complete and then I got a black screen. So I am pretty sure it's bricked though it's not a white screen. But when trying to unbrick it. Any one have any advice? Also I am using windows 7.

ps. This is my first dingoo and first time using this kind of system so please very detailed about what to do.

BokkenRyanZX

Re: Black Screen of death?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:29:35 am »
Also I forgot to add that even after using a few unbricking tools and following the instructions my Dingoo wont show up when I plug in the USB while the power is off and holding down B.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:55:13 am »
Also I forgot to add that even after using a few unbricking tools and following the instructions my Dingoo wont show up when I plug in the USB while the power is off and holding down B.
Those instructions were for the original A320 and the PSP-like A330, not for yours.

sq

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 03:38:31 am »
copypasting this from booboo's blog:

You will be using SD card boot to run a fixed USB boot code.

To prepare the boot SD card in windows use the ChinaChipSDBurnTools.exe utility. First argument is the drive letter, second argument is rom.bin file. Example:

ChinaChipSDBurnTools.exe I: rom.bin

This will just write the rom.bin file to sectors 2-17 in the SD card, so it will probably destroy the contents of the card. From linux you can use the dd command. Assuming the SD card drive is /dev/sdi, then:

dd if=rom.bin of=/dev/sdi bs=512 seek=2

Insert the card and plug the USB cable while you press DOWN. The GA330 should be now in USB boot mode.

From there on you need to use the Burning_tool(CC1800 V1.14)_W35.exe tool. The first big button will install the USB driver (at least it will copy the files in C:\Windows\System32\ChinaChipUSB, you might need to point windows to that directory when new hardware is found). The second big button starts the burn process, which you can only do after selecting the IPL, DL and HXF firmware files.

download the tools here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ed998x4zj86c1a2

in my experience, you NEED to perform these steps on a winxp sp3 machine, it won't work correctly on win vista/7 and i'll tell you why: the unbricking of a ga330 is a two-step process, the first step involves the use of the dreaded chinachip drivers that everyone seems to have trouble installing; in truth, they're very easy to install on any vista/7 machine as long as you preinstall the drivers *before* even trying to plug the handheld to the computer (via device manager/add legacy hardware). the problem comes here: after entering usb mode the device will automatically disconnect and reconnect in order to continue with the reflashing, this time windows will be looking for just a generic usb storage driver. ironically, while winxp will happily settle for the most basic driver it can find, vista/7 will make a huge deal about it because it'll try to identify the device wanting these drivers time and time again, halting the whole process. this time it's impossible to repeat the previous "trick" of force-installing the drivers because, well, they're generic and thus they're already installed!

i suspect that winxp sp2 also could do the trick, but the time i tried on it (on a quite old machine, i might add) i only got a HUGE bsod while trying to enter usb mode on the gemei. so, dunno, if you wanna try your hand with sp2... be my guest?

hth

SittButt

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 01:44:57 pm »
I'm confused.

Did you got a Gemei A330 or a Dingoo A330 ? (is not the same console).

jagotu

• * Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 03:46:44 pm »
Dingoo a330ex, which is rebranded gemei a330. (To add the confusion  :o)

EDIT: Or he's got Dingoo A330LE which is rebranded gemei a330 fashion which is gemei a330 without wireless modul. Yes, it's confusing.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:50:04 pm by jagotu »
Sorry guys for not caring about dingoonity lately. It was nice to be with you, and maybe I'll come back, but not now...

BokkenRyanZX

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 01:39:21 am »
It's the Dingoo version of the Gemei a330 fashion.

Also I tried to open the chinachipsdburntools.exe on a XP OS and it is still not opening. Seriously my wisdom regarding the dingoo and all things bricking and what not is very limited....... 

sq

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 09:11:54 pm »
Also I tried to open the chinachipsdburntools.exe on a XP OS and it is still not opening.

er... it's a command line tool, of course it won't work by double clicking it. you need to open the command console first via start button > run > (write there) cmd (push enter)

inform yourself about how to use it by googling, especially about the command "cd" that you'll be using a lot

your computer should have a sd card reader in order to comfortably prepare the card you'll use as the "recovery disk"; if not, you're SOL as you unfortunately can't use the ga330 as a card reader when the unit is bricked

good luck (and i *really* mean it)

BokkenRyanZX

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 03:13:23 am »
Thanks again and I guess I really have a lots to learn so I can use the cmd prompt, fun times

sq

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 09:51:26 pm »
as you said, learning a bit of cmd won't hurt you and you'll learn something very useful when the shit hits the fan in anything windows related. this even might be a good primer before tackling something like the linux console, for example...

since you seem honest about fixing your lil' brick, i'll give you another GIGANTIC hint:

let's suppose you unpacked the unbricker tools in c:\ (root of your main hd, respecting the folder structure inside the compressed file), your sd card reader is named "e:"

- open cmd
- type:
Code: [Select]
cd \A330_V1_10_2011_01_27\SDBurn_BootLoader- insert a previously formatted sd card into your reader, even a quick format works as long as you define the format type as FAT32. any size works too.
- type:
chinachipsdburntools e: rom.bin- that'll prepare the sd card as your "boot disk"
- type:
cd.. to go back to the main folder
- type:
burning_tool(cc1800 v1.14)_w35
- that'll open this lovely wall of gibberish:

- first click the big shiny button at the top left, that'll install the chinachip drivers (and by "install" i mean it'll just place a couple files inside system32, you'll need to install these manually later)
- once it's ready, click the buttons at the right of the textboxes in order to load the necessary files. the first three are mandatory, you can safely ignore the other two. provide the same files included with the unbricker.
- the second shiny button will activate, indicating that the tool is ready to work. don't push this yet
- insert the prepared sd card in your handheld, and with the ga330 TURNED OFF connect it to the computer via usb WHILE KEEPING PRESSED "DOWN" IN THE DPAD. if it goes ok, the computer will sound like you just connected a pendrive, but the ga330 won't say anything and will be still off.
- windows will ask for the chinachip drivers. the unbricker usually put these files in C:\Windows\System32\ChinaChipUSB so be sure to point the hardware wizard to the right place
- once you're ready with that, push the second big shiny button
- if this goes ok, the gemei will turn on and will display something (forgot what, "loading" or something like that) using some weird boxy font. this completes the "first step".
- the console now will automatically disconnect from the computer and then reconnect as some sort of pendrive. this is where the second step starts and this is exactly where vista/7 fails as they uselessly try to identify the device. xp sp3 started installing a default mass storage device driver at this point, while my old xp sp2 gave me a hella big bsod. ymmv. if all goes ok, you'll see in the unbricker output box more gibberish like it's performing some kind of steps. let it finish... you won't understand a thing about what's written there but you'll somewhat manage to get it when the process is done. seriously, you'll remember my words once you see it by yourself...  :-X

if you manage to recover your ga330, congrats, don't forget to copy back the emulators (the .sim files) to the handheld or you won't be able to run a thing. if not... KEEP TRYING.

good luck again, mang.  :-*

----
edit
----

corrected a couple things
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:54:10 pm by sq »

BokkenRyanZX

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 02:21:37 am »
Thanks I will give it a go tonight then! ;D

BokkenRyanZX

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 09:09:43 pm »
So I got to the part where I have the loading screen and the wall of gibberish is saying burning and also there is too lines that start of with device 20c: follow by a bunch of gibberish and that is where things have been at for the past 20 minutes...... how long does this take?

sq

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 03:16:27 am »
So I got to the part where I have the loading screen and the wall of gibberish is saying burning and also there is too lines that start of with device 20c: follow by a bunch of gibberish and that is where things have been at for the past 20 minutes......

probably the thing never went past the first stage. did you notice if the gemei disconnected and then reconnected? did windows ask for usb drivers?

how long does this take?

not much, five minutes tops iirc

megamat91

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 09:12:06 pm »
hi so i was sort of having the same problems and i was just following this process step by step. i am using windows 7 as i saw some said it fails compared to xp so that might have something to do with this....i foillowed everything step by step and the computer never made any sound and the dingoo a330le never went to a usb mode. please read my post to see what exactly is going on for better understanding, fyi, i'm dealing with a glitched screen and absoultely nothing works and the computer wont even read it anyway.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic