Author Topic: O2EM - Odyssey2 emulator (WIP)  (Read 27233 times)

Gab1975 (OP)

Re: Port request/possibility: O2EM
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2014, 10:04:20 pm »
For me it's ok, very good job! I like the new player font ! :)
Just two "little issues":
- the reset button (virtual keyboard) causes the emulator freeze;
- maybe the default audio volume it's a bit too loud.

EDIT
not an important task, but the readmegcw.txt should be updated...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:10:54 pm by Gab1975 »

Xaijiqq

Re: Port request/possibility: O2EM
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2014, 10:49:56 pm »
new keyboard looks good  ;)

also i noticed the default volume to be significantly louder than other emulators

Xaijiqq

Re: O2EM - Odyssey2 emulator (WIP)
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2014, 04:57:29 am »
hows the voices coming along for this, any new updates?

Gab1975 (OP)

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2014, 07:28:05 am »

For now there aren't news, but don't worry... with a little patience a new release will be out! :)

David Knight

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2014, 02:12:22 pm »

No progress in the last week as I have have been working on DCaSTaway in my spare time. As I am (hopefully) nearing completion of this I would like to try a couple of other projects before returning to O2em as I have hit a snag with the SDL port which I haven't been able to solve yet.

Xaijiqq

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2014, 04:04:11 am »
thats unfortunate about the issue, so close lol thanks for the status its still fun to play in its current state 

Ghaleon

• Althena's Temple
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2014, 06:52:09 pm »
Thank you David, for porting the Odyssey 2 emulator to the Zero. I have loved the Odyssey for years.

On my case, the program runs, however, every time I select a rom, the screen goes black for a split second and then goes back to the rom directory.

The problem is probably with the files' location.  I installed the emulator on the /media/data/apps directory.  I have installed all my emulators there with no problems.

On first launch o2em did not create the .o2em directory in $HOME, so I created it.  According to my FTP client, it is at /home

There were already several folders in that directory that started with a dot and then had the names of the emulators I already installed, so it should be the right location.  I renamed that folder to .o2emBETA201411012125 to no avail.

Inside the .o2em folder (which I renamed to .o2emBETA201411012125) I created a folder called bios

Inside the bios folder I placed the bios file, called O2ROM.BIN

I placed the roms inside another folder I also created, at /apps/oddysey roms

I don't think the location of the roms is a problem.  Sure, I had to navigate there on my first launch, but now it goes to that directory automatically.  All my roms are in directories present at the apps directory, like /apps/atari 2600 roms, /apps/fba roms, /apps/mame4all roms, and /apps/neo geo roms.

The bios file and the rom files should work, since they are the same files I have used on O2Em 1.1.1 on my Mac for years.  I actually played K.C. Munchin again on my Mac today to make sure it rums on OS X Yosemite.

Can anybody help me to troubleshoot this?  Since everybody else who is following that thread can run the games, I have the feeling my files have the wrong names or are at the wrong locations.

Peace,

Ghaleon

Gab1975 (OP)

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2014, 07:25:57 pm »
"Pay attention": the config-dir ($HOME/.o2em) must not be renamed... otherwise the emulator doesn't recognise it...

This release should create the .o2em folder automatically: o2emBETA201411012125.opk

David Knight

« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2014, 11:09:41 am »
On first launch o2em did not create the .o2em directory in $HOME, so I created it.  According to my FTP client, it is at /home

I just tested with the latest firmware and it does create the directories correctly in the home directory when you try to run a rom but not before.

There were already several folders in that directory that started with a dot and then had the names of the emulators I already installed, so it should be the right location.  I renamed that folder to .o2emBETA201411012125 to no avail.
As Gab1975 says this will definitely not work. The reason the directory structure is created for you is because it is fixed. If you change the directory name or put the bios in another folder it will not find it correctly.

I don't think the location of the roms is a problem.  Sure, I had to navigate there on my first launch, but now it goes to that directory automatically.  All my roms are in directories present at the apps directory, like /apps/atari 2600 roms, /apps/fba roms, /apps/mame4all roms, and /apps/neo geo roms.
Correct, rom files can be placed anywhere. The only issue is that the rom picker cannot see hidden directories.

The bios file and the rom files should work, since they are the same files I have used on O2Em 1.1.1 on my Mac for years.  I actually played K.C. Munchin again on my Mac today to make sure it rums on OS X Yosemite.
O2ROM.BIN is the correct name for the bios and should be recognised if placed in the $HOME/.o2em/bios directory.

Just to let you know, the GCW has a useful Log viewer which will usually give an explanation on what is causing the problem. You need to turn on Output logs from GMenu2X (press START for options) then run the emulator. Try to play the rom. If it fails to work, exit and check the settings menu for "Log Viewer".
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:14:01 am by David Knight »

Ghaleon

• Althena's Temple
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2014, 05:14:17 pm »
Thank you to everyone who has tried to help me, especially David.

I deleted all the O2EM related files, and installed o2emBETA201411012125.opk again from the link Gab mentioned.  It probably was the same version I installed before.

I ran the emulator and tried to load a game, and it went back to the game menu, as before.  I did not create the .o2em folder, like it was supposed to, so I created new folders and placed the file O2ROM.BIN in the folder /home/o2em/bios (I'm sorry I'm naming the directories the way Mac OS X names them.  I don't want to guess the way you do it and make a mistake).

Games did not run, so I activated the Output logs and tried again.  The Log Viewer says this message:

/mnt/o2emBETA201411012125/o2em: can't load library 'liballeg.so.4.4'

What am I doing wrong?

Gab1975 (OP)

« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2014, 05:28:30 pm »
Did you install the latest firmware release on your device? (you can check the firmware installed on your GCW Zero with the "System Info" application, settings section).
Here you can find the firmware(s): http://www.gcw-zero.com/updates

PS: don't forget that the "work-dir" must have the dot as first character: .o2em
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:36:39 pm by Gab1975 »

David Knight

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2014, 05:49:30 pm »
Games did not run, so I activated the Output logs and tried again.  The Log Viewer says this message:

/mnt/o2emBETA201411012125/o2em: can't load library 'liballeg.so.4.4'

What am I doing wrong?

Allegro is included from firmware 2014-05-05. It is likely your firmware is older than this. Update your firmware to at least 2014-05-05 and it should run fine.

It's not creating the directories as the program is crashing due to the missing library.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:59:47 pm by David Knight »

Ghaleon

• Althena's Temple
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2014, 05:21:37 am »
My firmware and operating system were way old.  I upgraded to the latest version and O2EM runs fine now.  Thank you everybody.

David Knight

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2014, 11:21:46 pm »
My firmware and operating system were way old.  I upgraded to the latest version and O2EM runs fine now.  Thank you everybody.

Glad to hear it ;D

AtariHERO

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2016, 08:19:48 pm »
any news about voice?s support to make this a release ?

David Knight

« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2016, 06:41:33 pm »
any news about voice?s support to make this a release ?

Yeah, it's time this was released. I'll take a look at it.

Post a new topic