Author Topic: Final Burn Alpha questions  (Read 3170 times)

Elaphe (OP)

Final Burn Alpha questions
« on: September 12, 2014, 10:59:59 am »
Does this emulator use .ini files like MAME, so that I can use specific options for every game? I'm interested in controlling gamma. Can this be done with Final Burn Alpha? Also, does it allow overclocking the emulated CPUs?

hi-ban

Re: Final Burn Alpha questions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 11:06:42 am »
Yes, you can save per-game settings.
No, there is no gamma control.
No, there is no overclock. You can choose between different emulation cores, but no overclock.

Elaphe (OP)

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 11:28:36 am »
Agrh, then that's a big handicap. For some Neogeo games I do really need overclocking to avoid slowdowns (Metal Slug, Last Resort, etc.), and with respect the gamma control, some of my fav games such as Golden Axe and Outrun look horrible in MAME in you don't lower their gamma values.

Gab1975

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 12:41:07 pm »
As far as I know, the GCW Zero FBA emulates all Neo Geo games at full speed (ever 60/60 fps)... the potential slowdowns are in the original hardware too...

Elaphe (OP)

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 01:25:40 pm »
I know, but they are far more enjoyable without the slowdowns. I like old games but I'm not stupid nor masochist.

Gab1975

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 01:46:06 pm »
I know, but they are far more enjoyable without the slowdowns. I like old games but I'm not stupid nor masochist.

I have a different "point of view"... in my opinion an emulated game should be faithful to the original (as far as possible), slowdowns included...
maybe I'm a bit masochist! :P
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:47:50 pm by Gab1975 »

surfi80

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 08:37:06 pm »

Gab1975 feel the same as me, I love my GCW Zero, despite its "flaws" ;D
play with the best? die like the rest!

http://www.elotrolado.net/wiki/PS_VITA_Usuarios_EoL

Elaphe (OP)

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 08:40:47 am »
Another question: how does FBA handle games not running at 60hz? MAME, at least in PC (I don't know about Android) has an option to keep the scrolls smooth by accelerating these games from 55, 57, 58, 59, etc. to exact 60hz, even synchronizing sound. This issue may happen also with Neogeo, which is 59hz, not 60. Can FBA do this too or will they have jerky scrolls when using vsync or triple buffer?

hi-ban

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 11:00:24 am »
If i recall correctly, d_smagin made all (or most) games which were close to 60 fps to be synchronised to 60 fps exactly for that reason.
That includes all Neo-Geo games, of course.

Erik Twice

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 11:36:01 am »
The games were designed with slowdown in mind and will become far harder without it so reconsider your stance on masochism  ;)

Elaphe (OP)

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 10:22:55 pm »
Intentional slowdowns... I've heard that theory many times, especially when debating about Cave's shmups emulation. For me it's pointless, since also your ship and the controls in general are slowed down, so you feel a sense of unresponsiveness and impotence that doesn't contribute to make the game easier, but an annoying experience. Metal Slugs are a good example too, with Neogeo hardware pushed beyond what it's able to do (running at 45 fps and with slowdowns, beautiful graphics and gameplay but performance wise not the best games in the world at all).

Post a new topic
Post a new topic