Author Topic: [testing] Vice 2.3  (Read 3914 times)

dmitry_smagin (OP)

[testing] Vice 2.3
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:35:21 pm »
Hello, everybody.

Here's a well known Vice 2.3, an emulator of different Commodore computers including C64, C128 etc.
http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/

Why not 2.4 ? Because 2.3 is simply faster on GCW Zero.

The emulator is nicely packed into .opk and default config is altered to match GCW Zero better. For choosing different type of machines there's a menu before actual emulator starts. Then use Select to enter a UI menu with vast number of settings.

Please, test, rant etc here. The package is not completely ready, so let's test.
Note: the first run may take some time, so be patient.

Download opk: http://prizma.bmstu.ru/~exmortis/opk/vice.opk

What's not working yet:
- Running C64 Direct-to-TV model fails for unknown reason.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 01:53:25 pm by dmitry_smagin »
GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

howie_k

Re: [testing] Vice 2.3
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:03:27 pm »
Excellent!

Is it possible for you to additionally map the up direction to a face button as well as leaving up on the d-pad active?

Will be particularly helpful for driving games (up to accelerate) and also platformers (where up takes you up ladders but also acts as jump) ?

I am familiar with the Vice menu options (as have been using the dge version), and know you can map the up direction to a face button, but when you do that, the up direction on the d-pad stops working.

I hope I am making some sense!

subone

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 12:04:20 am »
Hi,
thanks for your release,
a few remarks compared to the dge version :
- the gui menu is a big advantage
- browsing in directories is slower
- the default gamma setting is too low 880 ... colors are weird. Have to change to 2200 like in dge one

ps.: is it possible to change the default path when browsing ?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:17:45 am by subone »

robnmish

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 10:52:35 pm »
Tested out on a few games and it seems to run very well(micro league wrestling, wasteland, president elect, buck rogers), maybe a dumb question but is there a way to get the virtual keyboard up without having to go into the menu?? It would make things easier to be able to bring it up and down when needed.

thanks!!

howie_k

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 07:44:49 am »
@robnmish : in the menu, go down to virtual keyboard, press start, it then asks you what hotkey you want to assign (I use the L shoulder button)

howie_k

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 02:21:07 pm »
Hi, whilst it appears to save settings such as the Gamma setting in Video Settings / Color controls, it is not saving a hotkey I define for the Virtual keyboard. The dge version however saves this fine.

DrChaos

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 10:13:04 am »
First: A BIG THANK YOU!

I tested the C-16 a bit, I confirm that the colours are weird, but the sound is working in Kikstart, which was not the case in the DGE version, that's great !

Unfortunately the save staes do not work in C16, the screen is off center after loading one. This is the case in both versions.

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 04:14:22 am »
Anyone willing to share their color/video settings with me. I'm having a hard time matching colors.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic