Author Topic: The Ur-Quan Masters 0.7.0 2014-11-23  (Read 7366 times)

soulsource (OP)

The Ur-Quan Masters 0.7.0 2014-11-23
« on: November 20, 2014, 11:01:07 pm »

The Ur-Quan Masters is a project that aims to port the DOS/3DO game Star Control II to modern platforms. The GCW Zero is (in my opinion) now one of them:

A GCW Zero port (following the porting guidelines) of The Ur-Quan Masters 0.7.0 is available here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx3gTbeJuJRWeHlyZkhNUm85VzQ/view?usp=sharing

An older, but better tested version without positional audio and without addon support, but packaged together with voices and 3DO music, can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx3gTbeJuJRWTmEtTGNuWE1HTTA/edit?usp=sharing

Installation of Addons:
The official addons (voices, 3DO music and remixes - I recommend to at least get the voices, they add greatly to the game) can simply be put in the ~/.uqm/addons folder (if the folder doesn't exist, feel free to create it) and enabled/disabled in the game settings menu.

For unofficial addons a little manual work is required. These need to be unpacked in the ~/.uqm/useraddons folder (so that their .rmp files are directly in the useraddons folder, not a subfolder of it), and the paths in the .rmp files have to be edited to point to "useraddons" instead of the addon name.

Changelog:
2014-11-23:
  • Positional Audio: After switching to the OpenAL audio driver in the advanced settings, one can enable positional audio in the sound settings now.
  • Addon System: The previously undocumented addon system has been extended. As a consequence of this, the voices and 3DO music packages are now optional.

2014-11-20:
Inital Release

The default key mappings:

In the menu:
A, Start: Select
B, Select: Back
Y: Delete
X: Backspace
Select: Skip cutscene
D-Pad: Move or type

Navigation:
Select: Menu
D-Pad: Move

Lander:
A: Weapon
B: Depart
D-Pad: Move

On the starmap:
L/R: Zoom
Y: Search

Battle:
A: Primary Attack
B: Secondary Attack
Select: Escape

Text Input:
D-Pad Up/Down: Select character
D-Pad Left/Right: Move Cursor
A: Confirm Input
B: Cancel Input
Shoulder Keys: Switch Upper/Lower Case.

This port was possible, since the games source code is available under the GNU General Public License, and this port is (of course) released under the same license conditions. In accordance with the GPL, the complete source code of the game with all modifications which were done in order to adapt it for the GCW Zero is included within the .opk file (sourcecode.tar.gz). The keyboard mappings are not part of the source code, but are defined within the uqm-0.7.0-content.uqm file, which is part of the game content.

The game content is released under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-ShareAlike 2.5. The original files can be found at http://sc2.sf.net/ and the only difference of the files in this OPK are the keybindings.
The people involved in the creation of the game, in making it portable and details about the copyright are listed on the Team page of the UQM Website.

For further details please consult the manual, accessible from GMenu2X by pressing SELECT while highlighting the UQM icon. This manual contains useful information on the port, and on various ingame aspects, including the backstory and a list of the ship types available.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:14:27 am by soulsource »

Senor Quack

Re: The Ur-Quan Masters 0.7.0
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 05:25:09 am »
Really well-made port, congratulations.  The keybindings are perfect for the handheld and the attention to detail in the README is really good. This is one of my favorite games of all time, so thank you.

soulsource (OP)

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 06:12:17 am »
Thanks. The keybindings were pretty easy to do, given that UQM is based on the 3DO version of SC2 and is therefore already quite console-friendly.

Gab1975

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 06:22:11 am »
So, if there aren't copyright issues, this game could be added to the official repository... a very good addition in my opinion! :)

soulsource (OP)

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 07:03:39 am »
I've been in contact with two of the UQM developers, and from their opinion publishing the port should be fine, as long as all licence conditions of both, GPL and CC BY-NC SA 2.5 are met. For UQM, packaging both, GPL'ed game and CC'ed content in a single .opk file is explicitly allowed.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think that publishing the .opk in the official repository should not violate any of these licence conditions, as long as there are no advertisements shown on the download site, and as long as proper credit is given to the original authors (I hope that a link to the list at http://sc2.sf.net/team.php is enough, since it is rather lengthy...).

kaio

• All about GCW-Zero on Russian + Repo
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 04:59:17 pm »
Great thanks! It's awesome!
GCW-Zero | JXD S602

soulsource (OP)

Re: The Ur-Quan Masters 0.7.0 2014-11-23
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 01:16:36 am »
I've just uploaded an updated version of the game, with positional audio support (one has to switch to OpenAL in the advanced options, enable positional audio in the sound options and restart the game in order to enable it), and a working addon system.

The official addons are no longer part of the download, but can be downloaded separately at the UQM website. To install them, simply put the files in the ~/.uqm/addons folder (create the folder if it doesn't exist).

I'm curious about your opinion: Should the official UQM addons, the voices and the 3DO music be optional downloads, or should they be packaged within the .opk as in previous builds? I've started a poll.

kaio

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 04:19:17 pm »
Hi. Can anybody help to install addon with Russian language?
From official instruction:
1. In the game folder (in Linux --- /usr/share/games/uqm/content) find the folder packages.
2. Create the folder 'addons', and subfolder 'russian'.
3. Copy russian language pack 'russian.zip'. PWD to file must be: 'packages/addons/russian/russian.zip'
2. Run the game with the option '--addon russian'

Download addon here - http://uqm.cobra.ru/filemgmt/singlefile.php?lid=3

What can I do to run with russian language support on my gcw-zero?
GCW-Zero | JXD S602

glimmer

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 04:29:51 pm »
I've just uploaded an updated version of the game, with positional audio support (one has to switch to OpenAL in the advanced options, enable positional audio in the sound options and restart the game in order to enable it), and a working addon system.

The official addons are no longer part of the download, but can be downloaded separately at the UQM website. To install them, simply put the files in the ~/.uqm/addons folder (create the folder if it doesn't exist).

I'm curious about your opinion: Should the official UQM addons, the voices and the 3DO music be optional downloads, or should they be packaged within the .opk as in previous builds? I've started a poll.
I'd rather be able to use the PC audio. That's how I played SC2 originally.

soulsource (OP)

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 05:39:24 pm »
@glimmer: The option to switch between PC and 3DO music is available in the Sound Options. So even if the 3DO music is packaged together with the game, it is rather easy to switch back to the PC version music. Anyhow I'll have to recheck licence conditions, since there might be issues with packing the music together with the game.

@kalo: I don't think there's a way to edit the command line of a menu entry on the GCW Zero, making it impossible to add the "--addon russian" parameter. That's why I put a (really dirty) workaround for unofficial addons like the russian language pack in the .opk. You'll have to unpack the russian.zip file and edit the russian.rmp file:
  • Create the folder "~/.uqm/useraddons" on the GCW Zero
  • Unpack russian.zip to a folder on your computer
  • Open the file "russian.rmp" in a text editor
  • search and replace all occurrences of the string "russian" with the string "useraddons"
  • copy all contents of the "russian" folder to the "useraddons" folder on the GCW Zero
I've made an imgur album showing with screenshots what to do. I hope this helps, although my system language is German...

zear

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 05:43:46 pm »
@soulsource
I finally tried your port of UQM. It is very solid and let me assure you there is a room for it in our official repository.
Now the question is only how much (if any) data files we can distribute with the OPK and how much should be left for the users to provide on their own.
We've already started verifying the license status of the game assets. Feel free to join our IRC channel if you want to talk directly to us about it. This process will probably take some time, as there is a lot to consider.

glimmer

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 05:43:57 pm »
@glimmer: The option to switch between PC and 3DO music is available in the Sound Options. So even if the 3DO music is packaged together with the game, it is rather easy to switch back to the PC version music. Anyhow I'll have to recheck licence conditions, since there might be issues with packing the music together with the game.
Right, but I was implying that possibly it should all just be left as add-ons for people for people who want a choice of extras. Separate packaging also lets people split the files between SD cards--the extras are quite large--if they want.

For that last, it's not necessary to do anything special; I'm content to create symlinks wherever necessary.

kaio

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 10:55:43 am »
soulsource,
Great thanks!
It  works, I did it!
GCW-Zero | JXD S602

surfi80

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 01:32:28 pm »
would have a chance to do so in Spanish?
play with the best? die like the rest!

http://www.elotrolado.net/wiki/PS_VITA_Usuarios_EoL

TimeDevouncer

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 07:23:27 am »
Thanks! AWESOME, AWESOME game! I love it :P.

@surfi: The spanish translation seems ONLY work with 0.6.2 version ???
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!