Author Topic: PocketSNES based on Snes9x 1.43-dev [2014-08-24 update]  (Read 84215 times)

TimeDevouncer

Re: PocketSNES based on Snes9x 1.43-dev
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 08:57:53 pm »
Do states at least load and save properly inside PocketSNES-1.43?

Nope :-[, i have this problem:

and i save state in slot 0...ok, but when i save in slot 1...pocketsnes copy the slot 0 to slot 1.
hi-ban also pointed me to this problem, but I changed nothing in the menu's saved state behaviour at all in this build. Can you test whether this exact problem also exists in pcercuei's build from August (which I call PocketSNES-1.39 here because that's what its Snes9x core was)?

To ensure a fair test, please delete NAME.sv0 and NAME.sv1 from your game in ~/.snes96_snapshots, because Snes9x 1.39 cannot read 1.43 saved states.

No, the pcercuei's build don't have this problem, works fine.

And...i don't have any NAME.sv0 or NAME.sv1 in snes96_snapshots ???

Look, this is the problem (in images xD)

I select a game:

In logo screen, save in slot 0:

Ok, works...but in the New game menu I try to save in slot 1 and...

Zasca, the logo screen of slot 0, and if i load state 1, the game crashes.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:04:43 pm by TimeDevouncer »
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

Nebuleon

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 09:04:48 pm »
And...i don't have any NAME.sv0 or NAME.sv1 in snes96_snapshots ???
NAME is the Name of your Game. I don't know which you tested with. I couldn't have filled it in telepathically.

TimeDevouncer

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 09:07:25 pm »
Ok sorry xD, my english is very bad and It's too difficult for me to express and understand it all well.

But well, as you can see in the pictures above, the error happens with games I have not played :(

MightyJAK

• My tumblr
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 11:12:48 pm »
Wow, the text in Dark Law: Meaning of Death is much more legible now (about on par with how it looks on the Letcool). Still have to guess at some words, but this is still a big improvement, thanks!
My machines:
GBC,GBA,GBA SP,NDS,NGPC,Panasonic FZ-10 3DO,NES,Sega Nomad,Sega CDX w/Power Base Converter,PS1,PS2,PS3,Saturn,Dreamcast,PC (Win 98, XP, 7),Dingoo A320,Dingoo A330,Gemei A330,LetCool N350JP,PAP-GAMETA,GCW-Zero SE,Kyocera Rise,2DS,GP2X-F100,GPD G7,JXD 100,JXD A1000,JXD A3300,JXD F3000,JXD V5000,JXD S7300B,Hyperkin SupaBoy

Currently playing: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (2DS)

Nebuleon

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 01:58:51 am »
I've fixed the saved state trouble, but am not about to reimplement the L+R+Left and L+R+Right in-memory saved states, because the Snes9x core doesn't accept redirecting saved states to memory anymore.

For the saved state menu, I chose to save a state at /tmp/.svt so the emulator can back out if you don't choose a saved state to load. Creating a preview for the UI requires loading the state, emulating one frame and backing out to the state before entering the menu -- unfortunately I couldn't redirect that to memory anymore, so the state was not saved, so I couldn't back out and the previewed state stayed loaded. That's why you appeared to save copies of the same state over and over.

Some more fixups are required. I'll then make another release and update the OP.

RupeeClock

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 09:01:09 am »
Oh sweet, a new PocketSNES release! I have got to test this ASAP. :)

TimeDevouncer

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 09:53:14 am »
I've fixed the saved state trouble, but am not about to reimplement the L+R+Left and L+R+Right in-memory saved states, because the Snes9x core doesn't accept redirecting saved states to memory anymore.

For the saved state menu, I chose to save a state at /tmp/.svt so the emulator can back out if you don't choose a saved state to load. Creating a preview for the UI requires loading the state, emulating one frame and backing out to the state before entering the menu -- unfortunately I couldn't redirect that to memory anymore, so the state was not saved, so I couldn't back out and the previewed state stayed loaded. That's why you appeared to save copies of the same state over and over.

Some more fixups are required. I'll then make another release and update the OP.

Thank you so much for your work ;)

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 09:55:29 pm »
Nebuleon, thanks for your hard work.

You already gave us a GBA and SNES emulator!

What's next? A PSX emulator?  ;D

Scoobysnaxx

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 02:25:04 am »
What's next? A PSX emulator?  ;D

I hope developers don't waste any time on that one. Not when so many other systems have a much better chance of performing well. I know an official TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine emulator would be well received.

At the end of the day though I am sure anything Nebuleon works on would be well received  ;D. The community is certainly lucky to have this many talented people given the relatively small number of units sold.

Seph817

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 04:35:16 am »
PSX would definitely not be a waste of time. Especially if any of the developers here are working on it. It's already running a few games decently on a very unoptimized build of psx4all. It definitely has the power for it.

As for TurboGrafx, I know it's not a final release but, I've had Temper on my Zero for a while and it plays very well. It plays TG-CD games, too.

Nebuleon

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 04:36:42 am »
Please do not derail this release thread. For PSX/PS1 discussion, please see /GCW Zero/Emulation/Ps1 emulation,current state? (Sorry if its been said to death).

Seph817

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 04:41:33 am »
Sorry. Thanks for your work on SNES! I always liked the Mega Man X games, so 2 and 3 working on here is awesome!

Nebuleon

PocketSNES based on Snes9x 1.43-dev [2014-01-03 update]
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 05:56:40 am »
I took the time to fix some bugs and add some requested features, and add new things created by hi-ban and JohnnyonFlame. This results in the 2014-01-03 build.

Download and test: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106475413/gcw-zero/PocketSNES-20140103-1.opk
as well as a pack of SNES game title screens to put into ~/.snes96_snapshots/previews, prepared by hi-ban: https://mega.co.nz/#!c0FiBATZ!Ivngwi7DY2RgQmpPGyvnDwdaDbkYsxOHCNYI3HIq7-c

Features and fixes:
- The full-screen scaler from snes9x4d has been added, and the full-screen user preference has been re-enabled. (d_smagin)
- The audio sampling rate option now accepts 32000 Hz, which is the rate used by the SNES itself for output. (Nebuleon)
- The saved state menu now writes a saved state to /tmp/ so it can back out of temporarily loading another state to preview it. This fixes writing the same saved state multiple times, as well as loading #0 with audio disabled when attempting to load any other state. (Nebuleon)
- Star Fox can now be played by those with photosensitive epilepsy. (gcc team)
- Saved states created for Yoshi's Cookie/US and possibly some European and Japanese titles do not freeze the emulator anymore when previewed. (Nebuleon)
- When playing Yoshi's Cookie/US and possibly some European and Japanese titles, the top 7 pixels of the screen no longer flicker between black and a part of the previous frame at 60 Hz. (Nebuleon)

Graphical changes:

- The PocketSNES icon is now inspired by the Super Famicom, which fits with the icon set started by ReGBA and Gambatte. (hi-ban)
- The background of the menu is now inspired by SNES box art, instead of looking like output from the Virtual Boy. (hi-ban)
- The settings of the Main Menu now have right-aligned values which fit in with the SNES box art theme. (Nebuleon)
- The selection bar is now a blending gradient from red to transparent. (JohnnyonFlame)
- The ROM selection interface can now display a background based on the game under the selection bar. The background must be a PNG file in ~/.snes96_snapshots/previews and be 24bpp, 282x186. (hi-ban, Nebuleon)
- The screenshots shown in the saved state menu are now larger, fitting in 205x154 instead of 160x120. (Nebuleon)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:12:25 am by Nebuleon »

Orion4874

Re: PocketSNES based on Snes9x 1.43-dev [2014-01-03 update]
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 06:41:47 am »
Awsome work Nebuleon! The full screen option puts this emu over the top imo.

BTW, Star Fox 2 actually plays pretty decently on this emu while it didn't load at all on the previous version of PocketSNES and was heavily glitched on Snes9x4d.

RupeeClock

Re: PocketSNES based on Snes9x 1.43-dev [2014-01-03 update]
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 12:28:04 pm »
Awesome stuff, digging the new GUI design and all the updates.
Will update as soon as I get the chance, I was going to report the issues I was having with save states but it looks like it has been resolved already.
The new release being based on Snes9x 1.43-dev has definitely improved things, the current build now passes the hardware test on the Snes Test Program.

Post a new topic