Author Topic: OpenJazz  (Read 3984 times)

David Knight (OP)

OpenJazz
« on: August 15, 2014, 01:19:53 am »
Here's OpenJazz built using the most recent sources. You need either the shareware data files or game files from Jazz Jackrabbit 1.

The openjazz engine is not completed yet. Most noticably boss AI is not currently working. See the included manual for more details.

Installation instructions are included with the .opk file. Music is working (thanks to Zear for help with this). Network play has been tested by me and my son which has considerably delayed this release  ;)

Enjoy

UPDATE
16/08 fixed white bar issue

Link to .opk:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwYi4RGX-HSaRjlrZlRIQmpvYUU/edit?usp=sharing

Shareware version of game data:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwYi4RGX-HSaaE9zaDFrM0lsN00/edit?usp=sharing

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 12:12:28 am by David Knight »

Gab1975

Re: OpenJazz
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 07:36:08 am »
Thanks for the porting! :)

I made a quick test with the shareware version... the games seems to run fine... the music playback works properly (I changed all *.PSM  files in "lowercase")... for now just a little suggestion: when the resolution is set to 320x200px the color of unused screen portion is white, I think that the color "black" should be better...

AtariHERO

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 02:27:18 pm »
not working here, :(
used same version that runs fine in zx86...

Kouen Hasuki

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 03:07:20 pm »
Could you define "not working"

Like what happens :P "not working" is the least helpful thing you can say when looking for advice on fixing something :D

I am guessing you are getting kicked back to the menu, if so copy the Jazz data files to the openjazz folder in home then try again :)

AtariHERO

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 04:22:09 pm »
Could you define "not working"

Like what happens :P "not working" is the least helpful thing you can say when looking for advice on fixing something :D

I am guessing you are getting kicked back to the menu, if so copy the Jazz data files to the openjazz folder in home then try again :)

it should be noted that the game only works if data files are in uppercase ...

Gab1975

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 07:57:05 pm »
it should be noted that the game only works if data files are in uppercase ...

The data files must be in "uppercase" (both name and extension)... only the "music" files (*.psm) must be in "lowercase"...

Nebuleon

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:13:05 pm »
The requirement for music files to have lowercase names is documented in the manual, which you can look at by pressing Select on OpenJazz and choosing Show manual. (Only those who understand the bash script will know that the entire file name must be in lowercase, not just the extension.) The remaining files are in all-uppercase.

But there is one issue with this. People don't read manuals.

To get around this, I suggest making a missing file screen like in eduke32. See /GCW Zero/Games and Homebrew/Problems with eduke32... #1.

Gab1975

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 08:48:01 pm »
I made a different icon.png... if you like it, you can use it! :)

David Knight (OP)

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 08:55:26 pm »
@AtariHERO Sorry about this requirement, the game handles the data and music files separately hence the requirement in the code. I will try to remove this issue when I can.

As already clarified, all non-psm files should be upper case (name and extension), all psm files should be lowercase. Currently if files are not found it is noted in the logfile (available by turning on Output logs in the GMenu2x settings screen then by running Log Viewer from settings which is only present after running the app).

@Gab1975 I'd not noticed the white bar issue, should be easy to fix. EDIT it's related to palette changes, on world 2 the bar is pink for example. EDIT Fixed, uploaded
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 12:11:07 am by David Knight »

Gab1975

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 07:22:34 am »
@Gab1975 I'd not noticed the white bar issue, should be easy to fix. EDIT it's related to palette changes, on world 2 the bar is pink for example. EDIT Fixed, uploaded

Thanks for fixing! ;) ... I'm seeing that you trued up the screen as well ! ;)

Gab1975

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 05:31:07 pm »
If I understood well the load/save options are unsupported by the OpenJazz engine, so we can't hope in a next release with these options enabled... I hope to be wrong!

David Knight (OP)

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 09:28:04 pm »
Yes, currently this is the case. The author of openjazz is very busy on other projects at the moment so future version updates are unlikely any time soon.

johnnyonflame

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 11:18:23 pm »
Hey, it's cool that people are interested in bringing new software to the table, but OpenJazz is not a finished, throughly tested software. This topic belongs to "Development" rather than "Releases".

Sorry that I'm being much of a 'bad guy' lately, but we gotta keep things tidy and clean.

David Knight (OP)

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 07:56:32 pm »
No problem, I'm just having fun compiling stuff ;D

Post a new topic
Post a new topic