Author Topic: Need help, Black screen of freezyness.  (Read 2178 times)

Cyansan (OP)

Need help, Black screen of freezyness.
« on: April 17, 2014, 07:29:51 am »
It boots to black screen every time I try start my GCW Zero. I know it might be corrupt opks but, I seem to have lost my password when trying to connect via Filezilla. Is there any type of password recovery system? Also I have never used GCW Zero manager.

Gab1975

Re: Need help, Black screen of freezyness.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:28:01 am »
Maybe this topic could be useful: http://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-help/device-boots-to-black-screen/

I quoted this "reply" because it seems rather explanatory:

First off, did you try to delete the gmenu2x config?

Secondly,
You can actually use the private key from the GCW Zero Manager for both SSH (Putty) and SFTP (Filezilla).

First, make a copy of your keys. Press winkey + r and run
%appdata%/gcwzeromanager

This will open a folder where your key is.

Then, download PuTTYgen from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
In this application you can import your private key and save it as a putty compatible key.

You can then use this key to connect with Putty.

If you want to connect with Filezilla also, download Pageant from the same URL above.
While it's running and the key is loaded, you can authenticate yourself with FileZilla.

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 01:59:17 pm »
This will only work if the user has previously used GCW Zero Manager and set up the keys.

Maybe this topic could be useful: http://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-help/device-boots-to-black-screen/

I quoted this "reply" because it seems rather explanatory:

First off, did you try to delete the gmenu2x config?

Secondly,
You can actually use the private key from the GCW Zero Manager for both SSH (Putty) and SFTP (Filezilla).

First, make a copy of your keys. Press winkey + r and run
%appdata%/gcwzeromanager

This will open a folder where your key is.

Then, download PuTTYgen from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
In this application you can import your private key and save it as a putty compatible key.

You can then use this key to connect with Putty.

If you want to connect with Filezilla also, download Pageant from the same URL above.
While it's running and the key is loaded, you can authenticate yourself with FileZilla.

Cyansan (OP)

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 01:28:28 am »
So what do I do?

Wild Penguin

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 10:47:41 am »
Hi Cyansan!

First, have you tried to reset the device (via the reset button)?

Second, In case you have, and still can not boot the firmware (for whatever reason), and you can not access the file system via FTP and / or SSH (you have not set the keys or forgotten your password); you could try to boot to a previous rootFS. Both are described in the Quick Start guide.

Or these are what I'd try next. I'm not sure there is a backup RootFS in the default firmware (I've never had this kind of issue). IMO, they should have one, just in case something gets screwed up - or some other fail-safe bootup method...

But from what you have told here, I wouldn't rule out a hardware issue either (do you ever see the bootup text scroll by, or is it immediately black?)

If everything else fails, you could try flashing (the data partition) manually. But this is the last resort, and will reset all your data on the GCW Zero! You might want to ask the place where you bought it from, if they'll fix it under warranty first.
My Hocoslamfy highscore: 107. Also try Freedroid for GCW0!

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 01:26:25 pm »
So what do I do?
Just wait a few days.

Post a new topic