Author Topic: Grr....stuck button, rubber membrane is junk  (Read 3271 times)

Beerman1138 (OP)

Grr....stuck button, rubber membrane is junk
« on: August 31, 2014, 01:10:45 am »
So, I finally worked up the nerve to open my Zero, to figure out why the 'A' button wouldn't spring back up, and I found the answer.  The rubber membrane under the button will not spring back normally (shown in attachment).  Basically, three of the four button membranes spring back instantly no matter what you do with them, while the fourth, the one under the 'A' button, sticks frequently.  Eventually, with the membrane out of the Zero, it springs back, but obviously with the button and case holding things together, that does not always happen inside the Zero. 

I know people on here have replaced buttons and such, has anyone had any luck replacing the membrane?  I have no expertise in locating parts....and would like to at least try to repair my Zero rather than just replace it, especially since I have it open with minimal damage (I pulled one of the wires to the L button, but I can fix it). 

Any ideas of getting a replacement part?  Or a part that's close enough that I don't have to do a whole lot to modify it?  I'll measure it up and have a schematic when I return to work on Tuesday (we have digital calipers there) for comparison's sake. 

Thanks in advance -- been jonesing for my old game systems, and have only been able to play them at home lately.....

pcercuei

• My devblog
Re: Grr....stuck button, rubber membrane is junk
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 04:54:10 pm »
I had the same issue but with a pre-production unit. It sucks that they didn't use a better membrane :(

Kouen Hasuki

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:39:13 pm »
I hear the DSLite membrane is potentially compatible

iames85

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:56:25 pm »
I am in the same boat as you Beerman, though, my rubber membrane for the d-pad has done the exact same thing and its the right button for me... I took mine apart also and experienced the wires coming off, but that's not the end of the world.

This is what I found that is best for replacing the original rubber membrane thanks to fosamax for the info. And that is the Nintendo Gameboy DMG- 01 conductive rubber pad. Obviously it's going to need a little modification, but the buttons are the same height as the Zero's.

I have also attached a photo of what I have done so far just to show you the GCW membrane can be easily traced around if you put it on top the Gameboy membrane, however I have not yet had the time to finish this project. If you feel like taking this path also heres a link to where I got the Gameboy membrane. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181459620586?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

slapstick

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 05:08:50 am »
I have the same issue... The rubber membrane for my A button is totally trashed. I'm hoping future units will use a higher quality one.

hi-ban

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 10:37:35 am »
I read somewhere that the rubber pad from the Gemei a330 is the exact same shape. Maybe you can get a broken one at junk price...

evilbob

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 07:07:04 pm »
this thread is really old but i just opened my unit due to this same issue and my membrane was completely broken. i cut up an old remote from a tv and put the membrane buttons in place using the existing membrane. it works fine now but firmer to press. which isn't entirely bad.
-Hardware: 150 -Sofware: 0 -Emulating games from my childhood: priceless

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 08:02:17 pm »
The K101 Pro pads are the same but of better quality and they can be ordered on a site taboo link below.
K101,A330,GCW0,RetroGame RS-97

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.418e2e8dQZIJKm&id=566204569791&_u=i3kcoo0e97c4

Aeter

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 12:24:18 am »
Great necropost.
That website is Japanese by the way. Not very useful.
~cucullus non facit monachum~

Post a new topic
Post a new topic