Author Topic: [SOLVED] Cannot Flash Firmware on GCW Zero  (Read 2069 times)

theJar (OP)

[SOLVED] Cannot Flash Firmware on GCW Zero
« on: May 25, 2015, 04:46:35 am »
Greetings all!

If I attempt to power on my GCW Zero, the green LED will come on, but there seems to be no other response. Also, the system cannot be powered down as soon as the LED is on. After disconnecting the battery and then later reconnecting it, the green LED came back on instantly with no other outside input. I have to wait for the battery to run out in order to attempt a flash of the firmware. Each attempt at flashing the system results in the error "Error - can't read bulk data from Ingenic device:-110" after the prompt displays "#SD init"

Some further information on the events leading up to the malfunction. I was playing "Ancient Land of Ys" in the DosBox emulator, and I forgot how to exit. Being to lazy to look up how to exit the game, I decided to manually power down the system. I held the power button in for a while, the system shut down, then I set the GCW down. I didn't pick it back up until the next morning when I turned it on and nothing happened. Several frustrating minutes of trying to boot the backup kernel, reset it, and get it to do anything than just have a green LED proved futile.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:06:33 pm by theJar »

Surkow

• * Administrator
Re: Cannot Flash Firmware on GCW Zero
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 12:13:35 pm »
Is the brightness turned off? In some cases the unit can turn on with the brightness at its lowest value (which shouldn't happen). Power + DPAD-right raises the brightness.

theJar (OP)

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 03:24:55 pm »
Unfortunately, trying to change the brightness doesn't work. Thank you for the suggestion though!

johnnyonflame

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 03:43:03 pm »
If flashing fails, change the usb cord, if that doesn't help, swap the internal sd-card and retry the flashing process.

mth

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 03:52:37 pm »
Each attempt at flashing the system results in the error "Error - can't read bulk data from Ingenic device:-110" after the prompt displays "#SD init"
This is what would happen if you upload the firmware for the wrong type of memory (MDDR vs DDR2). From which production run is your Zero (prototype, SE, KS, later) and what are you passing as the --config option?

Other things to check are the USB cable as johnnyonflame suggested (it wouldn't be the first time that problems disappear with a different cable) and whether the USB connection is direct or via a hub (the USB boot mode doesn't seem to work well with USB hubs).

theJar (OP)

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 04:13:27 pm »
So, I changed the SD card to a 2GB card, and it is now flashed and it has booted. I purchased my GCW Zero from ThinkGeek in December, so I'm not entirely sure what production run that is, but it is quite recent, so definitely not prototype. The command I used was
Code: [Select]
./ingenic-boot --mbr=mbr.bin --boot=ubiboot-v20_mddr_512mb.bin --system=system.bin --data=data.binso I wasn't using a --config option. I would prefer using the 16GB card, but the 2GB one works if I cannot get the 16GB one to work. Thank you for the help so far!

UPDATE: I have decided that I will use the 2GB card for the time being, and I will mark this post as [SOLVED]. The 16GB card still has all of my Application data, and so I will use it for that. Thanks again for all of the help! Have a wonderful day!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:06:06 pm by theJar »

johnnyonflame

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot Flash Firmware on GCW Zero
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 11:35:13 pm »
Enjoy your unit, better 2GB than no GB at all :P

Post a new topic
Post a new topic