Author Topic: Analog issue  (Read 6335 times)

care16la20 (OP)

Analog issue
« on: June 11, 2015, 01:29:15 pm »
Hi

The analog joystick of my unit is giving unwanted command directions , specially to the down direction. Since the unit arrived, I noticed it was very sensible to movements and now this is becoming worse....

Is it any way or suggestion of how to fix it ?

Thnks in advance

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
Re: Analog issue
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 06:15:17 pm »
The analog joystick of my unit is giving unwanted command directions , specially to the down direction.

Is it stuck in the down direction, or does it act as though you pushed it down regardless of the direction you moved it?
Dingoonity is the place to be!

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 09:26:09 pm »
The analog joystick of my unit is giving unwanted command directions , specially to the down direction.

Is it stuck in the down direction, or does it act as though you pushed it down regardless of the direction you moved it?

Hi,
R: it act as though you pushed it down regardless of the direction you moved it

Not all the time but now this is becoming something common

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 10:29:59 pm »
It sounds like the analog stick is broken, then. I would ask on the IRC just to double check and contact the seller for a new GCW-Zero.

David Knight

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 11:36:04 pm »

Hi,
R: it act as though you pushed it down regardless of the direction you moved it

Not all the time but now this is becoming something common

You can turn off the analog controller in some emulators/games (e.g.OhBoy), also some will allow you to alter the analog sensitivity (e.g. Genplus, Picodrive)

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 12:13:29 am »
You can turn off the analog controller in some emulators/games (e.g.OhBoy), also some will allow you to alter the analog sensitivity (e.g. Genplus, Picodrive)

True, but he's saying that it's stuck in the down position all the time. I assume the issue is constant, which would make gmenu2x navigation near impossible. Not to mention, if he wanted to play certain games (Quake 2 for example) he would be out of luck. Some games require the analog stick.

If the analog stick is, in fact, broken.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 12:29:23 am by xXFrostXx »

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 12:44:36 am »

True, but he's saying that it's stuck in the down position all the time. I assume the issue is constant, which would make gmenu2x navigation near impossible. Not to mention, if he wanted to play certain games (Quake 2 for example) he would be out of luck. Some games require the analog stick.

If the analog stick is, in fact, broken.

No, I didn't mean that ; I said like it sometimes give unwanted commands like down direction regardless of the direction

It's not stuck so what can I do to make it back to normal operation ??

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 12:48:44 am »
No, I didn't mean that ; I said like it sometimes give unwanted commands like down direction regardless of the direction

Ah, I see. My mistake.
First off, are you updated to the latest firmware? Updating to the latest firmware usually fixes issues. :D I have to ask that first.

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 02:18:03 am »

Ah, I see. My mistake.
First off, are you updated to the latest firmware? Updating to the latest firmware usually fixes issues. :D I have to ask that first.

Yes it is updated... And this seems to be more hw related than software

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 05:25:54 pm »
Okay, then I'd have to assume the analog stick is broken. If you contact the seller perhaps you could have the console replaced.

If not, maybe Justin could send you a replacement analog stick if you email him. Sometimes it takes him a week or so to reply, though.

zear

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 07:49:00 pm »
This is a hardware issue and it happened to some other people as well.

The problem is that the joystick chip (the black square on the picture above) is only held to the board by two series of solder points. You are looking at the bottom of the board, meaning that all the pressure to the joystick during regular use is applied from the back of the chip. What most likely happened in your case is that the solder points got loose and the chip occassionally raises above the board, breaking contact with it.
I have read in another thread that one person solved this by applying a piece of paper between the chip and the back of the case, pushing the chip back to the board. Perhaps you could do the same. This however means opening up the case and possibly accidently severing some wires inside. So use with caution.

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 05:01:00 pm »
This is a hardware issue and it happened to some other people as well.

The problem is that the joystick chip (the black square on the picture above) is only held to the board by two series of solder points. You are looking at the bottom of the board, meaning that all the pressure to the joystick during regular use is applied from the back of the chip. What most likely happened in your case is that the solder points got loose and the chip occassionally raises above the board, breaking contact with it.
I have read in another thread that one person solved this by applying a piece of paper between the chip and the back of the case, pushing the chip back to the board. Perhaps you could do the same. This however means opening up the case and possibly accidently severing some wires inside. So use with caution.

Hi Zear,

Thank you very much for the advice... I did this by attaching an 3 mm rubber to plastic part like you said, and it first I though the issue was fixed, but it still happens sometimes

One thing I observed is that since the analog spins in its center, on some positions it responds normally while in others give those issues going down direction for ex and so on
Is there somehow to "lock" this spin ?

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 04:16:44 pm »

Re-upping the topic.....

The solder points  behind the analog seems to be placed firmly.... So any other ideas of how can I fix this ?

zear

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 04:47:08 pm »
Well, I'm out of ideas myself. I had the problem you described and it got solved for me by re-soldering the contacts.

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 04:54:13 pm »
Well, I'm out of ideas myself. I had the problem you described and it got solved for me by re-soldering the contacts.

Hi Zear,

Any guidelines of how to do this and if there is somehow to confirm if that is necessary?

Regards

zear

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 04:56:33 pm »
Any guidelines of how to do this and if there is somehow to confirm if that is necessary?

Unfortunatelly I can't give you any.
It was done by a friend of mine. I was with him at the time and what he did (from a layman point of view) was simply melt the solder spots, raise the chip, place the chip back and put new solder on the same spots. He did disconnect the battery before this process, too.

lemmywinks

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 06:07:04 pm »
Even if the solder points look ok they can still be bad, my JXD S7300 had a wayward analog and the contacts looked fine, I reflowed them anyway and it worked.

Really easy to do, just make sure the iron isn't too hot. A tiny bit of fresh solder added to the contacts will help melt the existing solder.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 01:40:10 pm »

Unfortunatelly I can't give you any.
It was done by a friend of mine. I was with him at the time and what he did (from a layman point of view) was simply melt the solder spots, raise the chip, place the chip back and put new solder on the same spots. He did disconnect the battery before this process, too.

Hello all,

Yesterday I tried your advice by melting the 6 solder points and trying to lift the analog board to re-solder it, but its still stuck to the gcw0 board. Btw, I removed before the analog plastic thumb.

To do this is it necessary to disassemble the unit, or by just removing the back cover and the analog thumb this could be possible ?

lemmywinks

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 02:36:26 pm »
As long as you have reflowed the solder it should be fine, otherwise it might be a faulty stick.

On JXD consoles some users relieved the pressure on the solder joints by putting a piece of rubber or foam behind the stick so it's supported by the back case.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 02:42:25 pm »
As long as you have reflowed the solder it should be fine, otherwise it might be a faulty stick.

On JXD consoles some users relieved the pressure on the solder joints by putting a piece of rubber or foam behind the stick so it's supported by the back case.

Hi ,

Actually, I tried to raise the chip but its stuck to something.... I didnt re-sold the points, just removed as much solder as I could to raise the chip to them remake the solder points, but it doesn't come out

Post a new topic
Post a new topic