Author Topic: JXD VS GCW  (Read 18479 times)

Aeter

Re: JXD VS GCW
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2014, 01:10:20 pm »
I got my GCW Zero in the mail today and I am very satisfied with it! ReGBA however can't run Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland however. But still, the GCW is the best handheld I ever played!
I've just tested the EU version of it and seems to work flawlessly. I booted it up and start and walked around for a bit, nothing more though, but you're response seems to indicate it doesn't boot at all.
Are you using the latest ReGBA version (i.e. 1.45.3)?
Do you have the latest GCW0 firmware?
~cucullus non facit monachum~

Game Dude (OP)

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2014, 10:28:53 pm »
I got my GCW Zero in the mail today and I am very satisfied with it! ReGBA however can't run Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland however. But still, the GCW is the best handheld I ever played!
I've just tested the EU version of it and seems to work flawlessly. I booted it up and start and walked around for a bit, nothing more though, but you're response seems to indicate it doesn't boot at all.
Are you using the latest ReGBA version (i.e. 1.45.3)?
Do you have the latest GCW0 firmware?

Thanks. I realized that bootleg roms don't work but official ones like the EU version do work. Thanks for your suggestion because I don't live in Europe and I didn't think of that.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:34:12 pm by Game Dude »

Greven84

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2014, 08:01:35 am »
Hej,

has anyone connected them to a TV? How is it? Does it lag? I've heard somewhere that it lags when you connect the JXD to a tv.

Im highly interested to buy the GCW (since it's smaller than the JXD) to primarily play Neo Geo, CPS2, nintendo system and SEGA system games on a TV. But if it lags and the JXD doesn't, then I'll go for the JXD.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:13:51 am by Greven84 »

lemmywinks

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 09:27:30 am »
There has been quite a bit of progress with the JXD S7800, I think fixed kernels have been released (by the community, not JXD) so you might wanna check what performance is like now as it will be different to what you hear on the rumour mill.

I don't know if you can play GCW on a TV yet, you will have to check on here for updates. I don't think analog out, HDMI out and USB OTG are working yet though.

JXD are no longer making consoles now btw, I suppose the same is true of GCW and company support was never great with either. You are probably better off checking out other brands and seeing what is due for upcoming release.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

zear

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2014, 12:17:01 pm »
TV out is not yet implemented on GCW Zero.

Greven84

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2014, 12:39:38 pm »
Thanks Lemmywinks and Zear!
Then I'll wait for any future releases. Has there been any news about new consoles?
I'm completley new to retro game consoles. I recently purchased a Dingoo A330 (withouth knowing about the existence of GCW or JXD) and was highly dissapointed when I got it. Felt very cheap and most of the games that I wanted to play (NES/SNES) ran very slow. It said you could connect it to a TV but it didn't work very well for me.

johnnyonflame

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2014, 02:04:51 pm »
JXD are no longer making consoles now btw, I suppose the same is true of GCW and company support was never great with either. You are probably better off checking out other brands and seeing what is due for upcoming release.

Not true, the production runs are small and oddly timed, but from what I've talked with Justin a while ago it is still being produced.
Please don't post suppositions if you can't back them with solid facts, they go a long way and can cause actual damage.

zear

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2014, 02:35:36 pm »
the same is true of GCW and company support was never great with either
Because the company has nothing to do with the firmware. It is provided by developers from these very forums.

lemmywinks

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 04:50:21 pm »
Not true, the production runs are small and oddly timed, but from what I've talked with Justin a while ago it is still being produced.
Please don't post suppositions if you can't back them with solid facts, they go a long way and can cause actual damage.

Seriously, I wouldn't believe anything that comes out of Justin's mouth and then chastise other people for not having "solid facts". He doesn't exactly have the best reputation when it comes to honesty after all.

For all intents and purposes production is over, the odd batch of units here or there to meet the dwindling demand won't make much of a difference in the long run.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

lemmywinks

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2014, 04:58:57 pm »
Because the company has nothing to do with the firmware. It is provided by developers from these very forums.

I was talking about hardware support, like people waiting months to have faulty unts fixed and GCW going silent on people. The firmware support for GCW here is great but the hardware side is severely lacking, pretty much no different to the Chinese companes.

It's the same with JXD et al, people here can fix software issues extremely quickly but hardware problems are a dead end.
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

zear

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2014, 05:08:44 pm »
Seriously, I wouldn't believe anything that comes out of Justin's mouth and then chastise other people for not having "solid facts".
(...)
For all intents and purposes production is over, the odd batch of units here or there to meet the dwindling demand won't make much of a difference in the long run.
Unless you have a valid proof, your word is worth the same. These boards won't tolerate blatant FUD. This is a warning.

Yertle

• !
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2014, 05:40:40 pm »

I was talking about hardware support, like people waiting months to have faulty unts fixed and GCW going silent on people. The firmware support for GCW here is great but the hardware side is severely lacking, pretty much no different to the Chinese companes.

We haven't heard of anyone not getting hardware support for a while now. Also, I think all of the people that were having that issue, got it resolved and now have their units back.

My SE "A" button broke so I emailed Justin Barwick and he got back to me within a couple of days(he's still recovering from being in the hospital) and he said he could fix my unit. He said he has someone that works on the units for him on a regular basis now. If I sent mine in he said that it would take 2-3 weeks. After all of the flack I've given him, he's still willing to fix my unit so I have to give him a bunch of credit for that.

PureWicked.AU

• Australian GCW reseller
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2014, 10:50:23 am »
great news, I've got 8 units confirmed faulty, a further 10 or so as yet untested.. and 6 of those I'll need parts or replacement units or parts for, as I've mentioned in the KS comments and have finally gotten around to emailing Justin about.. yesterday.. hoping for a swift result, that said sales have slowed.. have 1 black (tested/flashed) and 10 or so whites left.. still, managed to sell quite a few and finally my shiny new bike and cafe racer bits so no real complaints from me..

Xypher

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2014, 03:37:53 am »
So kewl... If you can... get both... then decide for yourself and sell the other... you'll loose only a few bucks in the process..

I have a son who loves the JXD and does not see how I prefer the GCW...?!!!  (I gave away my yinlips)  I have an android phone for android stuff... the quality makes a big difference for me... you would not believe how loud the buttons sound when there's some one in the room playing a button masher on the JXD.  The screen on the GCW also seems much more appropriate and truly portable!

ruffnutts

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »
GCW Zero all the way ;D

Post a new topic
Post a new topic