Author Topic: Is the Ingenic JZ4770 (The GCW-Zero's processor) compatable w/ ARM architecutre?  (Read 4359 times)

giraffetastic (OP)

I recently found out about the GCW-Zero, and it looks really neat! Because it's open source, I thought "Hey, wouldn't it be awesome to put a full linux distro on it, (I was thinking maybe Raspbian or Arch) and then I'd have a full linux computer!". However, looking at the specs for the console, it has an Ingenic processor. I've never heard of Ingenic processors before, and after a bit of googling, it seems like nobody knows whether it runs the ARM architecture or not.

So! My question is: Is the GCW-Zero running off the ARM architecture, and if so, can it therefore run ARM linux distroes and programs? Also, has anybody else had any luck with running full linux distroes (e.g. Raspbian, Arch Linux, instead of the more mobile-based and limited Dingux) on the console?

Thanks,
  - Luke

Goggles2114

It's a MiPS processor, but I don't know how compatible the two architectures are. Sorry.

Aeter

Say you would get a full Linux distro running.
How would you control it? Wouldn't the controls just be a pain compared to OpenDingux which was made for handheld devices.
I'm just trying to figure out where you want to go with this, besides just seeing if it's possible

~cucullus non facit monachum~

slaanesh

• Slaanesh Dev
So! My question is: Is the GCW-Zero running off the ARM architecture, and if so, can it therefore run ARM linux distroes and programs? Also, has anybody else had any luck with running full linux distroes (e.g. Raspbian, Arch Linux, instead of the more mobile-based and limited Dingux) on the console?

As the first reply said it's MIPS more specifically MIPS32r2.

It's not binary compatible with ARM in anyway.

The "distro" that comes with the GCW-Zero is Dingux which is sufficient for a mobile handheld. Lacking a real keyboard there's only so much you can do. The machine is really aimed at playing games, thus the game-like controls.

You can however access Linux by connecting it to a PC via a USB cable and using ssh to run a shell.

zear

The "distro" that comes with the GCW-Zero is Dingux
OpenDingux!
Dingux is a separate port of Linux to Dingoo A320, that has nothing to do with GCW Zero :)

quasist

GCW zero do not have OTG for USB hub than will handle mouse and keyboard?

Goggles2114

Think it does come with a micro to regular OTG adaptor for USB stuff if you want to try stuff. Downside is I think video out via HDMI or composite is still not really working.

However I think we're getting off topic here.

Aeter

I think the next firmware release will probably support it.

zear

It won't. That feature is not being worked on anymore as we lack people with the proper knowledge about it and the driver is not safe for use at the current state.

Aeter

It won't. That feature is not being worked on anymore as we lack people with the proper knowledge about it and the driver is not safe for use at the current state.
Sad to hear that. Hope someone with the knowledge will fix it somewhere in the future.
While we're on the subject, are
TV-OUT and HDMI support planned for next release?

opt2not

Does that include fixing the bugs for USB controller support?

Yertle

• !

That's a real bummer. So do the current developers even think this is possible with all of the issues? Is this something that a paid professional might be able to handle?

Is TV-Out still being worked?

zear

So do the current developers even think this is possible with all of the issues? Is this something that a paid professional might be able to handle?
Of course. It *is* working. We just need someone to inspect the driver and make it more safe.

No idea. Just like with any other feature - people work on them in their free time. Whether someone has new uncommitted progress and just waits for more free time - that I cannot tell.

thefifthgiant

No idea. Just like with any other feature - people work on them in their free time. Whether someone has new uncommitted progress and just waits for more free time - that I cannot tell.

Aw man, I was hoping today would finally be the day I hear that this feature was on its way. Portable gaming is great, but when i'm at home, I want to play on the big screen!

zear

Portable gaming is great, but when i'm at home, I want to play on the big screen!
And so do we, but that stuff doesn't magically happen.

Juan

It might be wise to get the stores selling it to be more explicit in the descriptions, otherwise a prospect buyer might be under the impression that those features work and will only generate more inquires about the subject.

zear

It might be wise to get the stores selling it to be more explicit in the descriptions, otherwise a prospect buyer might be under the impression that those features work and will only generate more inquires about the subject.
Well, direct that at the people who sell the hardware, not the people writing the software.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic