Author Topic: How to make save states work with different EMU  (Read 1542 times)

Fluxchar (OP)

How to make save states work with different EMU
« on: December 22, 2014, 02:14:14 am »
Hey guys, heres a question i havent found yet, {or answer} since i use pocket snes on GCW it makes a .sv save ext.... if i wanted to use this state on my iphone emu that i have  Snes9x 1.5 but that uses .frz... is there a program or someway to make the save state work? obviously just changing it manually wont work.

Edit this game is FF vi and it makes .srm states also... but that doesnt work even if i copy that over from the gcw to the iphone.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:26:02 am by Fluxchar »

Nebuleon

Re: How to make save states work with different EMU
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:07:05 am »
There exist converters for some saved state formats, yes, but I don't know if there's any for this source-target pair (Snes9x 1.43 -> Snes9x 1.5x).

Save RAM files (.srm) should work, because they are always raw dumps of the SRAM, and are never emulator-specific. You just need to figure out the extension used by the port of Snes9x on iPhone, as well as the filesystem location where the port stores its files, and rename the source files to match.

(And while I think of that... Apple doesn't allow emulators on the App Store, so you've jailbroken it, right? Find a jailbroken filesystem finder application and have it find files named like your ROM. I don't know how exactly, so good luck.)

Fluxchar (OP)

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:00:29 pm »
Yes iPhone is jail broken. I'm playing a hacked version of FF v6 that uses .srm also... Obviously the save states won't work. I do have a file system searcher called ifile. I already know where to put the files and where they are created by Snes9x. However when I take my current .srm and put it in the correct location the iPhone will still not see the saved game data and just start a new game.

Fluxchar (OP)

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:10:52 pm »
So i have a question, if i use the IN GAME saves on ff vi (which is to say i saved the game in the overworld, when i quit the emu and come back the LOAD file will be there instead of using save state,) so if i copy the ROM file (.scm) and try it with iphone would it work? i hate how i think about this stuff while im at work and dont have access to try -.-

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 05:30:15 pm »
SRAM implies in-game saving, instead of save states - which are emulator dependent (even version specific). So yes, if you save in-game it should work.

Fluxchar (OP)

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 05:32:14 pm »
SRAM implies in-game saving, instead of save states - which are emulator dependent (even version specific). So yes, if you save in-game it should work.

i copy the .srm from GCW that i made at a SAVE POINT and copied it to iphone (correct path) and it doesnt load. it just starts a new game. I have also noticed that even when i start a new game on iphone and maybe just watch the credit and back out of the emu it will create a .srm.... so im confused.

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 05:35:09 pm »
This might be a limitation of the SNES9x emulator you are using in iOS. It would be weird if the SRAM saving/loading mechanism was effected though. Maybe try a different emulator? Perhaps it's a file system permission issue?

Fluxchar (OP)

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 05:43:54 pm »
Eh, i could try.... i dont think any other emus are up to date at this point.... i still dont understand why that would make a difference.... they both read .srm files.... do you think i should try to copy the ROM file from GCW to IOS? do you think that would make a difference.