Author Topic: GCW Zero  (Read 1055156 times)

jimclarson

Re: GCW Zero
« Reply #2620 on: November 18, 2012, 09:59:39 pm »
in my opinion button mislabeling doesnt really matter as long as it works and they can be mapped to make ergonomic sense. if the x is labeled y and the y is labeled x i honestly dont care because of the fact that everything still remains functional. if it doesnt ship with switched x/y labels can we just pretend it did? id like mine sooner than later :/

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #2621 on: November 18, 2012, 10:25:04 pm »
Don't that gcw look dam sexy wish we could get xbmc media player ported to it as i has wifi it would be awesome is it possible?

Lino

« Reply #2622 on: November 19, 2012, 12:53:49 am »
OK... what do I have to code to get one?
One particle of unobtanium has a nuclear reaction with the flux capacitor, carry the two, changing its atomic isotope into a radioactive spider.

Dexidus

GCW Zero
« Reply #2623 on: November 19, 2012, 12:58:10 am »
OK... what do I have to code to get one?

N64 emu ;)

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #2624 on: November 19, 2012, 02:13:08 am »
But all this mess could be solved by simply swapping the plastic button parts.

This might not be possible. . .  You see most buttons are made with tabs on the underside of the button.  These tabs are placed so the button does not spin (rotate).  Each button has these tabs in different locations and they correspond to small grooves on the front faceplate.  The tabs (on button) and the grooves (on faceplate) fit almost like a puzzle.  So "x" would only fit in "x," "y" only in "y" and so on.
Correct!

Skyline969

« Reply #2625 on: November 19, 2012, 02:40:13 am »
But all this mess could be solved by simply swapping the plastic button parts.

This might not be possible. . .  You see most buttons are made with tabs on the underside of the button.  These tabs are placed so the button does not spin (rotate).  Each button has these tabs in different locations and they correspond to small grooves on the front faceplate.  The tabs (on button) and the grooves (on faceplate) fit almost like a puzzle.  So "x" would only fit in "x," "y" only in "y" and so on.
Correct!

So then are developers going to have to just adjust their code at this point to make up for the X/Y button swap?

Articus

« Reply #2626 on: November 19, 2012, 06:49:39 am »
So then are developers going to have to just adjust their code at this point to make up for the X/Y button swap?

Nah!  Im hoping this will only be an issue with SE's anyway.  Its really not a big deal, look at all these:

As long as as long as the North button corresponds to North and East with East, etc. it will be correct.

Everything should be left as is, no changing of mappings or anything like that.  If the game tells you to press "x," be aware and press "y."  IMO they should keep it like that.  The button letter issue is merely cosmetic.  Hopefully this minor issue gets corrected with the basic units, tho  8)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:51:36 am by Articus »

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #2627 on: November 19, 2012, 07:36:36 am »

Nah!  Im hoping this will only be an issue with SE's anyway.  Its really not a big deal, look at all these:

As long as as long as the North button corresponds to North and East with East, etc. it will be correct.

Everything should be left as is, no changing of mappings or anything like that.  If the game tells you to press "x," be aware and press "y."  IMO they should keep it like that.  The button letter issue is merely cosmetic.  Hopefully this minor issue gets corrected with the basic units, tho  8)
If the basic units get the x and y buttons silk screened the way the se people want them done now there will be nothing but bitching and complaining and moaning. Like you diagram shows it is just cosmetic

ithought

« Reply #2628 on: November 19, 2012, 08:17:49 am »
if the buttons stay as they are, the SE editions will be special on the inside AND on the outside lol

Lino

« Reply #2629 on: November 19, 2012, 08:47:45 am »
High tech solution: put some LEDs on the back of the buttons and light them accordingly to the key mappings.

There, I fixed it! BOOM!!!  ;D

If the basic units get the x and y buttons silk screened the way the se people want them done now there will be nothing but bitching and complaining and moaning. Like you diagram shows it is just cosmetic

@Dexidus
If that is not a joke, I will try. I say "try" only because I haven't looked at the code.
I'm not the best of the best (yet) but I always get the job done.
One particle of unobtanium has a nuclear reaction with the flux capacitor, carry the two, changing its atomic isotope into a radioactive spider.

Lino

« Reply #2630 on: November 19, 2012, 08:57:13 am »
.....I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one [epic].

Wright this down: Coders will rule the world! :P

Dexidus

GCW Zero
« Reply #2631 on: November 19, 2012, 11:07:25 am »
Haha an N64 emu on the gcw zero (along with a good psx emu although i hear that is actually coming along?) is something I'm sure nearly everyone has asked for at least twice in this thread, so I can imagine GCW would throw you a device if you get something off the ground man

MightyJAK

• My tumblr
« Reply #2632 on: November 19, 2012, 04:40:16 pm »
I'd like to add to the confusion and mention I'd prefer the positions of A and B to be swapped:

Perhaps we should have just gone with numbers or colored shapes  :P

Seriously though, I like Articus' 'compass directions' button layout. A new game system should have a new and unique (but still logical) button layout. I don't think I've ever seen a controller with buttons labeled "NSEW", but map directions are familiar enough that such a layout would probably make sense to most players.

Haha an N64 emu on the gcw zero (along with a good psx emu although i hear that is actually coming along?) is something I'm sure nearly everyone has asked for at least twice in this thread, so I can imagine GCW would throw you a device if you get something off the ground man
I'd be more intrerested in a Vectrex emulator  8)
My machines:
GBC,GBA,GBA SP,NDS,NGPC,Panasonic FZ-10 3DO,NES,Sega Nomad,Sega CDX w/Power Base Converter,PS1,PS2,PS3,Saturn,Dreamcast,PC (Win 98, XP, 7),Dingoo A320,Dingoo A330,Gemei A330,LetCool N350JP,PAP-GAMETA,GCW-Zero SE,Kyocera Rise,2DS,GP2X-F100,GPD G7,JXD 100,JXD A1000,JXD A3300,JXD F3000,JXD V5000,JXD S7300B,Hyperkin SupaBoy

Currently playing: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (2DS)

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #2633 on: November 19, 2012, 05:17:27 pm »
Vectrex is already done.

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #2634 on: November 19, 2012, 05:28:08 pm »
Don't that gcw look dam sexy wish we could get xbmc media player ported to it as i has wifi it would be awesome is it possible?
Technically the plain linux version with a different frontend(might not even need this as I've yet to get around to looking at xbmc for another project) ought to be perfectly feasible presuming two items:

(4770 has VPU(actually the 4750(? or is it 55?) and above have IIRC0

(a) they have the VPU driver/hooks and get it working(last I read on openpandora they seem to be wrestling with GPU driver ATM)

and

(b) there exists a workable linux lib for it (that's the problem with teh Allwinner stuff, their libs are lacking in a mostly unusable manner for xbmc)

So, it'd esentially be compile(utils/support/player stuff) and then build/make a front end IF xbmc doesn't already also have a simple SDL or something similar non-X based front end, but like I said I haven't bothered to look at it much yet other than the Android version which obviously, uses and entirely different frontend...

(Even w/o VPU support it MIGHT be possible to build a player using extended SIMD instruction set in a similar fashion to xbmc's NEON(ARM SIMD) version...)

All that said I might never get around to looking at xbmc myself as I'm just not all that interested in it as I already have other solutions that work well enough for my needs ATM, and the Zero would be my optimal video playback device anyways.  (More like one of my older desktops or a mini-ITX build would end up doing that eventually...)

danilop2k2

• !
« Reply #2635 on: November 19, 2012, 05:29:34 pm »
Vectrex is already done.

is there a vectrex emu with overlay's support ?

the a380 / a320 version only have minestorm overlay

MightyJAK

• My tumblr
« Reply #2636 on: November 19, 2012, 06:25:18 pm »
Vectrex is already done.
What was the link to download the GCW emulators? I think it was somewhere in this massive topic, now I can't find it. Yeah, I know I should've bookmarked it  :'(
My machines:
GBC,GBA,GBA SP,NDS,NGPC,Panasonic FZ-10 3DO,NES,Sega Nomad,Sega CDX w/Power Base Converter,PS1,PS2,PS3,Saturn,Dreamcast,PC (Win 98, XP, 7),Dingoo A320,Dingoo A330,Gemei A330,LetCool N350JP,PAP-GAMETA,GCW-Zero SE,Kyocera Rise,2DS,GP2X-F100,GPD G7,JXD 100,JXD A1000,JXD A3300,JXD F3000,JXD V5000,JXD S7300B,Hyperkin SupaBoy

Currently playing: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (2DS)

Articus

« Reply #2637 on: November 19, 2012, 07:36:32 pm »

Hahaha!  Looks like all the moaning and groanin on this thread put Justin in "kill" mode!!  Lol

pcercuei

• My devblog
Re: Re: GCW Zero
« Reply #2638 on: November 19, 2012, 09:33:46 pm »
What was the link to download the GCW emulators? I think it was somewhere in this massive topic, now I can't find it. Yeah, I know I should've bookmarked it  :'(

Currently none of the emus have been made public. If you saw links to emulators, those won't work on your GCW0.

theonyxphoenix

« Reply #2639 on: November 20, 2012, 06:40:59 am »
Is anything known about the additional batches?

Post a new topic